TWOW "very unlikely" to be released in 2015 - Jane Johnson

Kyle H

So this comment is from GRRM's UK publisher correct? I may be wrong, but I would assume that the American publisher handles all of the editing process, and that the U.K. publisher would have no reason to be looped in schedule wise any closer than 6-8 months out, especially if they want to minimize potential leaks. So even though as per the previous posters comments the editing process would require the publish to start preparing over a year in advance, that wouldn't effect Jane or the U.K. publisher's schedule. The editor and person who gets the advanced manuscript pages is a completely unrelated person. So I don't see why it not being on the U.K. publisher's schedule already tells us anything about the chance of a release in 2H 2015.

The same woman had said earlier this year (as far as I remember) that WoW will not be out since 2014 but late 2015 remains a possibility.She didn't say something very different now.It's not so much differnce late 2015-Q1/Q2 2016.I doubt she knows anything about how much of the book is done.

I have a feeling that TWOW and ADOS may be released if not simultaneously then in very close proximity.

I hope he pulls a Stephen King and just finishes the entire series before publishing. That would behoove everyone, himself included. It's unfortunate that we can't get simple dedication from him regarding his writing. He is now officially gone the entire month of August touring, which is a new development.

We'll see what September holds but I am not holding my breathe. He needs to actually write a book to finish one, and he hasn't taken more than 20 consecutive days at home this year to write. 40 days home this year. 40.

I hope he pulls a Stephen King and just finishes the entire series before publishing. That would behoove everyone, himself included. It's unfortunate that we can't get simple dedication from him regarding his writing. He is now officially gone the entire month of August touring, which is a new development.

We'll see what September holds but I am not holding my breathe. He needs to actually write a book to finish one, and he hasn't taken more than 20 consecutive days at home this year to write. 40 days home this year. 40.

I'm coming around to your view a bit....that his problem isn't writer's block, but that he's no longer committed to writing. The publisher continually throwing up public hail mary's is a bad sign.

I agree it wouldn't be bad for him to write the whole thing...but that is what he thought he was doing with Feast and Dance, recall, he said Dance was going to be out 'next year'....so he can't really be trusted on that score either.

It does tell me though, if we're looking at 2016, another five years between books, that the entire story of the "problems" with the five year gap and the meereen knot were total excuses. He just lost interest in his story after Storm. Maybe he did too much damage to the Starks, LOL. Maybe he no longer likes the original ending he had in mind.

I'm coming around to your view a bit....that his problem isn't writer's block, but that he's no longer committed to writing. The publisher continually throwing up public hail mary's is a bad sign.

I agree it wouldn't be bad for him to write the whole thing...but that is what he thought he was doing with Feast and Dance, recall, he said Dance was going to be out 'next year'....so he can't really be trusted on that score either.

It does tell me though, if we're looking at 2016, another five years between books, that the entire story of the "problems" with the five year gap and the meereen knot were total excuses. He just lost interest in his story after Storm. Maybe he did too much damage to the Starks, LOL. Maybe he no longer likes the original ending he had in mind.

I have been reading his books since their release. I passed around my first edition of his book in 96 to my friends. I met him in 97, 98 and 99 then again in 2005. He isn't the same man in terms of commitment.

I have been reading his books since their release. I passed around my first edition of his book in 96 to my friends. I met him in 97, 98 and 99 then again in 2005. He isn't the same man in terms of commitment.

Ha. No wonder you're bitter. I only read the books the first season of the show, so I've waited for nothing really except Winds, and have played catch up on all the various machinations and permutations that have occurred over the previous years. But, as I learned more...the picture got grimmer. Such as the increasingly unlikely event that the original trilogy will only be 7 books and not 8 or 9. GRRM history of over promising on timing and all the rest of it.

I had always though the five year gap/meereen knot seemed a little suspect as something that would take YEARS and YEARS of writing to resolve....and so when I got to Dance, and not only was everyone still in Meereen, but people still on their way to Meereen and multiple key people not even having met yet in Essos, I say 'aha' that was not the problem.

I guess it is what it is. He finishes or he doesn't. The next book is meandering and unfocused or it's back to the form of the first three. Nothing anyone can do about any of it.

I posted this in the casting thread but perhaps it really belongs here as a response to the plot and the story. From WiC:

Chapters by House By Book. House Stark has no less then 40 chapters in the 1st 3 books, and only has 6 chapter in book 4 and 18 chapters in book 5. They became complete side characters….

GAME OF THRONES
House Stark – 53
House Targaryan – 10
House Lannister – 9
House Baratheon – 0
OTHER – 0

CLASH OF KINGS
House Stark – 40
House Targaryan – 5
House Lannister – 15
House Baratheon – 3 (Seaworth)
OTHER – 6

STORM OF SWORDS
House Stark – 43
House Targaryan – 6
House Lannister – 20
House Baratheon – 6 (Seaworth)
OTHER – 5

FEAST FOR CROWS
House Stark – 6
House Targaryan – 0
House Lannister – 17
House Baratheon – 0
OTHER – 22

DANCE WITH DRAGONS
House Stark – 18
House Targaryan – 10
House Lannister – 15
House Baratheon – 5 (Seaworth & Melisandre)
OTHER – 23

While I thought 2015 was very optimistic and believe late 2016 is a more reasonable ask, this lady's only really info is that the book is not on the 2015 schedule as of yet. That could change today, tomorrow, or a few months from now. With a mouth like hers, I don't know how much new material GRRM would be sending her way.

For all we know George is 80% done and will finish ~3 months from now. TWOW will be announced then and be out early to mid 2015.

Now, I don't think this is likely at all, but I just don't view his UK publisher as having as much insider info as she's presenting.

That he isn't writing an episode this season gives me a little more confidence - at least he seems (or is trying to seem) committed to finishing the book.

Also given that Jane's only real info is it isn't on the schedule yet, perhaps she's just speaking as far as she knows, since her comments are contradictory to a lot of other information that's come out recently...

It would be interesting if she could tell us when exactly Dance appeared on their schedule...

George R.R. Martin Will Sit out Season Five of Game of Thrones to Finish Up His Next Book

Which shooting location are you going to choose to visit this season? Seems like a tough one since you’ve added another warm, exotic locale to the list, with Spain subbing in for Dorne.
I don’t know. I might make it over there early next year, but I’ve got to finish the book The Winds of Winter. So I’m making the trips I’m already obligated to make, but I’m not adding any new trips at this time. So I don’t think I’m going to do a set visit this year, sadly.

Are you still going to write an episode?
Not this year, no — once again because I have this book to finish.

I just don't understand how it can take this long. I don't like to question art or people who are good at it, because it is different for everyone. But ADWD was released in 2011. I'll start on January 1, 2012 and give Martin 100 days a year off (which is probably to much). If he wrote just 250 words a day in those 265 working days a year that would be 66250 words in one year. 132500 in two years. And then he'd have been done at some point in the third year, which in this scenario would be 2014. I'm not even taking into account the rest of 2011 he had to write.

To suggest it won't even be done until 2016, means that he doesn't work on it even when he is home and doing nothing else. Otherwise, I just don't see how it can take this long. THAT all being said, it is just an estimation on her part, and maybe Martin has most of the book done already, although the news about him not writing an episode for the 5th season seems to end that thought.

I think he is closer to being done than people think probably the book will not come out this year, but 2015 is still a possibility despite what Jane Johnson said. His tour dates from the end of August to May next year are clear as of right now. Also, with news today at comic-con that he is not going to write an episode for season 5 and not be involved with production as much suggests he wants to finish this book soon.

This actually seems like good news - when asked if he will visit the set this year, he says probably not, and he isn't making any more trips apart from what he's committed to until the book is finished. He then says he might make it to the set early next year (Calendar year or filming season is unclear) indicates he anticipates (or hopes) the book will be done by then!

In the following video he also notes that he needs to concentrate on *finishing* the book! which is semantically different than concentrating on *writing* the book.

http://www.zap2it.com/videos/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-winds-of-winter-jeyne-westerling-prologue-258382

Also, given Dance's rush to publication, he could still finish it in December or so of this year and have it out before or very soon after the start of S5...he could finish it in April of 2015 and still have it out just after S5 ends...

Archived