Football LXXXII: It begins with the Community Shield

Mexal

I can't really agree with the NBC guys here. City hasn't been 'clinical'.

It's not a consolation right now. but the Toon seem very close to getting it together and capitlizing on chances.

Hopefully that will be the case in two weeks against Palace when we're there.

Oh? He made the first save and was on the ground on the second shot. You may be blind.

Well done, city. Scrappy play. Newcastle all in all looked good.

No. I'm not blind. The shot wasn't exactly a world beater and he let the rebound come right back in front when he could have easily pushed it to the side. I'm not complaining about the fact Aguero scored, i'm complaining that he could have easily controlled the rebound and he didn't.

No. I'm not blind. The shot wasn't exactly a world beater and he let the rebound come right back in front when he could have easily pushed it to the side. I'm not complaining about the fact Aguero scored, i'm complaining that he could have easily controlled the rebound and he didn't.

Yeah, he should have pushed it out of play. Goalkeeping 101

Nervy and slightly fortunate win by Liverpool. Anfield was dismally quiet. The fans might have felt a bit uncertain, and the advanced age of most season ticket holders doesn't help, but the crowd needs to bring more atmosphere than that, especially on opening day.

Manquillo and Lovren did very well. Lucas and GJ were the weakest but Gerrard was poor too, mainly for the ground he doesn't cover and the protection he doesn't provide rather than any lapses on the ball. Coutinho was OK in flashes but could not find enough space or influence against two good DMs. Sterling was our best player and Danny was very good on the ball but too isolated. GJ asleep for their goal. Migs did well. He doesn't look as assured as I might like, but he dealt with dangerous crosses from Ward-Prowse and made a huge save to preserve the win.

We obviously missed the mercurial spark of Suarez and created fewer chances but still scored 2 from 3-4 good chances. Rodgers did well to change tactics. Joe Allen needs to improve his final ball but his energy and movement changed the game and opened it up. It was risky but necessary to open up the game and Rodgers' bravery was rewarded.

I can understand that this might be too early for Can but I think we'll need to see him soon. I can only hope Moreno comes straight into the team. We definitely missed Lalanna and Markovic for attacking options. Our midfield shape wasn't quite there. The whole game felt more like the start of last season than the end.

Southampton were quite good. They missed Lallana and Rodriguez but got a very good showing from Tadic and W-P. They're still well organized, press high, and their back 7 all looked solid and mostly stayed in shape and compact to defend well. They might struggle to score enough goals with so many committed defenders. They can't play on the counter against smaller teams.

Archived