Opinions on Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Orys

I like him, he's one of the few characters who has had to evaluate himself and grow as a person.

His entire character arc is relatable,

the fall from grace through slaving

his rocky journey to finding himself with Danny and the Khalasar

deciding to commit to Danny's cause

then being exiled and deciding to go back and not give up,

this arc is not dissimilar in emotional pattern to how many people grow up.

Leave school/college feeling self certain and arrogant.

Realize the world is a big place and you're not as significant as you thought.

Finding a career you love.

Having setbacks but deciding to endure towards your goal.

He is a very identifiable character, particularly for men.

The Ian Glen fucked up my perception entirely, come on so handsome and suave, he could be even Jamie but Jorah is hairy and balding and not so handsome. And yes I do judge people by their appearance.

I'm a straight male, and while I don't think Glen is that good looking...more distinguished/character, or good looking for his age, maybe...he's got an amazing voice. I find it soothing/interesting, but if I were gay or female, I'm sure I'd find it sexy.

I liked Jorah before the show existed, though, so it didn't affect me, though now I find it hard not to picture him when I read. The bear-skin/tattoo made it a bit easier.

I like Jorah, book and show. He is however a weak man. He has no control over himself when it comes to a woman he is attracted to. Lets not forget, he is 40 or older and Dany is like 13-14 when they meet, that in itself shows his weakness. He spied against her and never told her. If he had let her know this, like right after the dragon birth she lilkely forgives him and trusts him even more.

When Jorah sold the criminals in to slavery he was young, infatuated with his wife, had a sense of entitlement, and hadn't seen much of the world. By the time the story starts he'd been in exile for years, seen a lot more of the world than most people in Westeros, and had some first hand knowledge of what slavery looks like. I think he's a character who's growing up.

He still thinks of selling and advice the use of slaves.

Jorah is flawed, but I ultimately like him. Daenerys should have reprimanded and chastised him, but not sent him away, as she realizes in ADWD when she misses his good counsel. His father forgives him on his deathbed. Jorah has made tow many compromises and also is kind of into the girls too much, he gets ensnared by his Hightower wife and also crosses the professional/personal line with Daenerys. But overall I am fond of him.....

To answer your questions:

1. I personally don't believe Jorah to be particularly moral, even by Westerosi standards.

2. Yes, he deserved to be exiled by Danerys.

3. He didn't more than redeem himself even before she found out about the betrayal. He wasn't even remorseful; he didn't even apologise. He only said, "you must forgive me...I have loved you." That doesn't show remorse, it shows entitlement. Also, the crime may have been ancient to him but it was still new to Dany. She had just found out about it. To her, it had just happened at that moment, it was fresh. They were in different states of dealing with the betrayal.

Furthermore, Jorah didn't see anything wrong with the raping and pillaging that was happening with the Lazhareen (sp) village. He was surprised Dany even considered stopping the rape of the women, "these are the Dothraki, Khaleesi. This is their way," he said to Dany when she wanted to stop it.

He even considered some of the boys in Dany's khalasar to a Lysene brothel. So no, he's not moral and he has NOT repented.

EDIT: I'm glad he's in the friend-zone. He's way too old and bitter for Dany. I've said this before: he's like that old, creepy guy at the club who's checking out the young, pretty girl who happens to look like his ex wives. Later that night, after that young girl rejects him, he happens to run into a prostitute who looks like the young girl and she(the prostitute) ends up on his lap.

I like Iain Glen though.

If you're interested on other posters' opinions these threads may be helpful:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/113778-jorah-creepy-or-romantic/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/106591-why-do-you-think-fans-generally-forgive-jamie-but-not-jorah/

:agree:

I think Jorah's an interesting character, but he's incredibly unlikeable. Every time I think of Jorah, I can't help but be reminded of every creeper and every Nice Guyâ„¢ that I've known. I'd cut him some slack if he were to do display some regret over his past wrongs, or even if he were just considerate to someone, other than his romantic interest (because his caring for Dany is still very egocentric).

:agree:

I think Jorah's an interesting character, but he's incredibly unlikeable. Every time I think of Jorah, I can't help but be reminded of every creeper and every Nice Guyâ„¢ that I've known. I'd cut him some slack if he were to do display some regret over his past wrongs, or even if he were just considerate to someone, other than his romantic interest (because his caring for Dany is still very egocentric).

I also hate that his only redeeming qualities and acts are with linked to what he feels for Daenerys. He needs other things in his life we can point to and say, "hey, this guy is not completely driven by his "feelings" for this girl. He can do other things, show he is capable of existing morally, separate from he sphere." So far Jorah hasn't done that.

The only good thing I can say about Jorah is that he seems a knight that can fight well. I'm not even sure I admire that.

I think Jorah being sold into slavery may make him more aware of what he had done in selling slaves in the past. I also find it odd that while he was reporting to Varys, Varys was working to bring the Targs back to the throne. Varys isn't stupid and probably saw the merit in putting some one like Jorah at the disposal of Viserys (until he proved unworthy) and then Dany. The wine seller may have been a feeble attempt by Varys to carry out Robert's wish to kill Dany and he may have told Jorah about it so that she would be saved. It seems that that is the only time that Dany has been under threat from the IT since she married Drogo. The other attempt was make by the warlocks and the last attempt was uncertain if it was meant for Dany or her husband. (My guess is Dany and it was set up by her husband like the Shavepate said.)

Nah, that was just a public bounty working its charms, not a deliberate attempt organised by Varys.

It's weird to feel pity for a man who had everything and threw it away twice, but i do

All he needs is a proper clout in the ear to realize he will never be with Dany and that the friendzone of a Queen is a very comfy place

He had everything? He threw it away? That's not how I remember it going down.

Jorah is my least favorite character ever, he is a slaver and Ned should have caught him and removed his head with ICE, he is weak minded and let his second wife walk all over him and make him spend money the mormonts did not have and he failed to put his wife in place like a real man should. He is a pretty shitty knight and I'm glad he is not Lord of bear island

Ned should have caught him? What does that even mean? Ned never had the chance to catch him. Provide examples of his weak mind please. He did those things for his wife because he loved her and wanted her to be happy. A real argument you could make is he shouldn't have married her in the first place. What do you mean exactly by putting his wife in her place? Beating her? Or do you mean trying to rationalize with her? Neither seems to have a high chance of success. He's not a shitty knight either, again, please provide examples.

Ned should have caught him? What does that even mean? Ned never had the chance to catch him. Provide examples of his weak mind please. He did those things for his wife because he loved her and wanted her to be happy. A real argument you could make is he shouldn't have married her in the first place. What do you exactly by putting his wife in place? Beating her? Or do you mean trying to rationalize with her? Neither seems to have a high chance of success. He's not a shitty knight either, again, please provide examples.

Yea I pretty much agree. Jorah has been describe by both Dany and Tyrion as being quite strong for his age. He's also right more often than not when he gives Dany counsel in the first 3 books.

Being friend zoned by a girl I have loved for 2 years, I understand Jorah's pain. At least he had a wife for awhile, unlike me.

Well, you could start looking for a woman in your vicinity, who is in love with you but whose affections you don't return and marry her, since you know the feeling. :)

Well, you could start looking for a woman in your vicinity, who is in love with you but whose affections you don't return and marry her, since you know the feeling. :)

Naa only guys can get friendzoned.

See, if you love a woman and she rejects you, there's something wrong with her-else why'd she turn you down?

If a woman loves you and you turn her down, there's obviously something wrong with her, else why would you reject her?

He is one of those characters, who I usually like reading about in the page as his advice is solid but when asked to stop and think about him and what I really think, most is pretty negative. Despite the fact I bash him here, Jaime is another. (Hell even Daenerys kinda is that I like her more, sympathise with her more on the page before more introspection).

When you examine his actions he does come as a scumbag. He slaves people in the past, in the books selling young goat people to brothels as slaves, he puts himself in the service of Targaryens warlord wannabees even though he knows the people of Westeros don't need either Daenerys conquering or obviously Viserys in their life. Maybe he is partly motivated at using them to return home as part of a winning team. He gives solid advice generally from the perspective of Daenerys the conqueror but not really from the perspective of anyone else like her future victims. And he is a creeper who is making unwanted advances on a woman that is not on to him.

I do find it ironic though that she dismisses him because of a betrayal when he did choose to save her, and was her most competent advisor and it is not as if more loyal advisors abounded in Daenerys service. Maybe Barristan is similiar in loyalty in terms of having an important role and maybe Grey Worm. So Jorah who was willing to commit several crimes in service of Daenerys* is dismissed and exiled from the life of another woman he loves/lusts over instead of paying the price from his actual victims. And ends up as slave.

*Ocourse he is fully responsible for his crimes, nobody is forcing him to do it.

Certainly an interesting figure.

Archived