Bakker XXIX: Erratics and Impossible Erections

Anatúrinbor

At the very least, the Unholy Consult is finished and being split after being finished, despite the book being shorter than A Clash of Kings (so a split makes zero sense).

For Martin, neither book was finished when he published AFFC. AFFC is sloppy and fat compared to ASOS or ADWD. In the writing, I mean, it's repetitive, overlapping, needlessly digressive and clearly wandering in search of plot outcomes. I'm currently listening to the audio book of each, switching between ADWD and AFFC roughly every other chapter, and the difference in writing between the two is stark, it's evident that almost all the AFFC chapters feel like drafts. Had the book not been split, there would have been a lot of compression and sweating the AFFC chapters down severely.

The 2nd book would be planned for the following year with a little note from the author in the back of the first one saying it's all good.

:leaving:

:tantrum:

If it weren't for the two titles (Great Ordeal and UC) I'd thought that the first one might feature the Esmenet/Psatma/Kelmomas storyline and the second the Kellhus/Akka/Sorweel. Now I'm starting to worry that Bakker will consider ideas like that.

That would suck so much. Ugh I hope this gets done in one book.

Ugh...'plot outcomes'. Like plot is a thing that exists in real life - a meta 'understanding' of writing structure until it reinforces the conceit so much it's the thing come for and expected to be found...why? Never mind it's rendered piecemeal - plot becomes not synonomous with 'moral of the story', it's become synonymous with fragmented, individual events. Guided events. The religious parallel is painfully clear.

Off topic, I know.

Maybe it's been split in half because he wants to stick in the massive glossary at the end of the second book.

Which would presumably make the second book ridiculously short...

cliffnotes? you're killing me trisk! infinite jest is something like 480,000 words (dunno if that counts the endnotes and the footnes on the endnotes)--longer than any martin volume, but hardly infinite. it is probably the longest gloss on shakespeare ever.

At the very least, the Unholy Consult is finished and being split after being finished, despite the book being shorter than A Clash of Kings (so a split makes zero sense).

I'm also a bit stunned by the idea of splitting it, if the manuscript for the whole volume ( now called Aspect Emperor) is 350,000 words. That's a lot, but not sure you need to split that into two. I don't really care if they release it in two books, but I would care if that somehow extended the waiting period even more. It's also rather unfortunate how the book seems to be in limbo for quite a while now. I distinctly remember Scott talking about a possible split this time last year.

rather, there's a contingent of readers, even here, who believe that the inchoroi and dunyain are real and that earwa is earth long ago.

Clearly Adolf Hitler was an Inchoroi, or at least one of their agents. Starting a World War is an excellent way to get sufficient body count to shut the world against Heaven.

Archived