Jack the Ripper's Identity Revealed?

Prue

Can not IMAGINE how dreadful that shawl must smell.

Oh indeed. I can understand why the police officer's wife didn't want to wear it.

The last documentary I saw on the topic said that a mentally ill man who worked in a morgue was most likely the killer. Not sure if they meant Kosminski by that, as he seems to have been a barber.

I'm kinda wondering how the DNA was still viable about upwards of a hundred and ten years.

Oh, if they are able to extract DNA from 35,000-year-old Neanderthal bones, a shawl from the 19th century shouldn't be a problem.

Strangely, a documentary (I think BBC made that one?) I watched while in the UK which I believe was made some time in 80s actually reached the same conclusion but based on the non-DNA evidence only.

I don't find that so surprising. There are so many Ripper theories, one of them almost had to be correct.

Oh, if they are able to extract DNA from 35,000-year-old Neanderthal bones, a shawl from the 19th century shouldn't be a problem.

Uh, no. As it makes clear in the article, cross-contamination would be a huge and inescapable problem in this instance. The whole story sounds very implausible.

I believe there was a serial killer in the US at the time considered to be the US's first serial killer. Evidently he was across the pond around the time the ripper was in killing mode. Perhaps it was him.. Anyway, now that there is DNA evidence perhaps they can test some of these suspects.

Every now and then, someone claims they've found new evidence as to the Rippers identity. Lets face it, it's the ultimate cold case - the bragging rights for finding the truth are pretty big.

That said, I'm not convinced by this DNA evidence. The cross contamination risk must be huge - these women were prostitutes after all so it's highly unlikely that the Ripper's DNA is the only one on this shawl. yet they've somehow isolated the Ripper's DNA alone? Unless they had DNA evidence of this guy to begin with & this has served to confirm their theory the whole thing just seems a bit on the unlikely side of things to me.

There is also no reliable way to prove who the shawl belonged to, this is all sketchy as hell

That may not be important. If the shawl does actually have his DNA and the victim's DNA, its hard to imagine another circumstance where blood and semen would get on it other than the murder. It would be a hell of a coincidence if it was something else. However, I don't see proof of anything other than this being a gross article of clothing that was examined under extremely non-rigorous settings.

I believe there was a serial killer in the US at the time considered to be the US's first serial killer. Evidently he was across the pond around the time the ripper was in killing mode. Perhaps it was him.. Anyway, now that there is DNA evidence perhaps they can test some of these suspects.

Yes, H.H. Holmes. I think he is a possibility too. Look up the Murder Castle.

That may not be important. If the shawl does actually have his DNA and the victim's DNA, its hard to imagine another circumstance where blood and semen would get on it other than the murder. It would be a hell of a coincidence if it was something else. However, I don't see proof of anything other than this being a gross article of clothing that was examined under extremely non-rigorous settings.

Uh, this is a prostitute on the mean streets of Victorian London we're talking about here, I can't imagine that many of them were NOT splattered with blood and semen (as well as miscellaneous other debris) :dunno:

Until the individuals who are making their claims are willing to write a scientific paper detailing the methodology and the data they are drawing their conclusions from and have it published in a peer-reviewed journal, I give this about zero credibility. Even if they did so and their work was solid, I the issue of contamination on the shawl to be difficult to overcome. As it is, its little better than fiction. I will say that they are identifying Kosminski as the killer. While its been years since I've read up on the Ripper case, I seem to remember that he made the short list of the 3 or 4 most plausible suspects.

Archived