Sansa: The Richest Woman in Westeros

Victarion Chainbreaker

Let's suppose that Littlefinger has been embezzling from the crown for years, and Sansa is able to acquire this fortune when she takes out Littlefinger. How would she spend it?

Would she hire an army to take back the North? (But most likely the North will be in the hands of Rickon through Wyman very soon, so maybe not.)

Would she consolidate her power in the Vale/Riverlands? (The Tullys are dying out almost as fast as the Arryns, and a few timely deaths and a marriage would make Sansa heir to both.)

Would she help fund the Dany/Tyrion invasion? (if she looks back on how Tyrion treated her in a kind light, and there are many hints that Tyrion will return to the Vale.)

Would she fund the (f)Aegon invasion? (Her best immediate chance of revenge on Cercei.)

Would she use this fortune for something else?

There seems to be a divide among the fandom about Sansa's future. Some argue that Sansa becoming a player would be ridiculous because adjectives like 'cunning' or 'devious' simply don't apply to her. Others reply that Sansa not becoming a player would be ridiculous because her character's arc has been centered around the Game. I think that acquiring Littlefinger's fortune would bridge this divide, as it would allow Sansa to play the game without a drastic and unbelievable shift in her personality and abilities. What do you think she'll do if she does get power?

Some argue that Sansa becoming a player would be ridiculous because adjectives like 'cunning' or 'devious' simply don't apply to her.

Because Game can be played only by being devious? ;) One of the greatest misconceptions ever. You don't have to be morally compromised to be a player.

I actually believe that she will use the money to rebuild Harrenhal and feed the people of Riverlands. Before that, she might use the money to buy Vale lords loyalty by paying their debts.

The options are wide open, though...

Right now Cersei is the richest woman, she's the lady of Casterly rock, i highly doubt that the wolf can be richer than the golden lion.

I assume a big chunk of the wolf's money comes from the coffers of the golden lion

As to the OP, I think she'll be a good sister and true to the Stark name and will pay the Night's Watch loan to the Iron Bank

Right now Cersei is the richest woman, she's the lady of Casterly rock, i highly doubt that the wolf can be richer than the golden lion.

Cersei's days are numbered, Sansa on the other hand, is about as safe as POVs go.

Sansa is also married to the rightful lord of the rock.

Although it means little now, that can change. Especially when Dany lands on Westeros.

I am going go with feed the Riverlands. Lets be real here if Sansa does anything her first stop has to be the Riverlands because there is only 1 way out of the Vale and that leads you straight to the crossroads inn.

Or you take a boat out of Gulltown.

^ Gulltown has not been mentioned to have a huge fleet capable to carrying an army.

I have a good feeling that we are going to see Gulltown before the end of the series, especially since overland road to the Vale might be unsuitable for the winter, and therefore a bad route for an army to travel.

Besides, Wyman Manderly was building a small fleet in relative secrecy. Who's to say that Littlefinger isn't going to do the same.

^ Or that could be what Manderlys fleet gets used for. Tho I'd like to point out that while Manderlys fleet is still too small to battle the ironborn or the Redwyns, but once those 2 fight it out, its relative power will increase dramatically.

That's not the point, If Littlefinger marshalls the Vale (while the passes are snowed in), the best way out would be through Gulltown and a small fleet constructed at Littlefinger's behest (mostly for transport purposes). Once the troops land, in say Maidenpool (which is fairly close to King's Landing and closer still to Harrenhal,) He would be a force to be reckoned with.

Money only has a value if you can buy something with it. If those who have the armies and the corn are willing to sell at all.

If in wartimes like that - or better said, the looming apocalypse - there is no food anymore, nothing to satisfy even the most basic needs even gold loses its value and can't buy anything anymore and debts shrink to nothing. This is called inflation. The only place where gold will keep its value is overseas at Braavos or Essos.

If armies fight for mere survival, if even nobility is more intested in pure existence than in accumulating riches, then all of LF's embezzled money gets worthless, at least temporarily and in Westeros.

Apart from that the series hints that even CR has run dry.

But I guess this is what is going to happen: instead of Tyrion saving Sansa it may be Sansa who saves Tyrion.

Some argue that Sansa becoming a player would be ridiculous because adjectives like 'cunning' or 'devious' simply don't apply to her.

Even though I completely agree with Mladen that being cunning or devious are not absolute requirements for "playing the Game" (whatever that even is), it is demonstrable that adjectives like cunning or devious certainly can be applied to Sansa.

She participated in planning and executing an escape from King's Landing right under everyone's noses, and not a single person suspected a thing at any time. That's pretty devious.

More and more of her conscious thoughts are centered on Sandor Clegane and her memories of him. This is helping her to keep her hold on her true identity and a means to resist Littlefinger's brainwashing. Yet not a single person suspects that they've even had any interactions at all, even less that their contacts are of a deep and meaningful part of her life and thoughts. That's pretty cunning.

So if she ever does need to call upon the tools of being devious or cunning in order to "play the Game", she certainly can do so.

Because Game can be played only by being devious? ;) One of the greatest misconceptions ever. You don't have to be morally compromised to be a player.

That's kinda the point of the OP. Untold riches will allow Sansa to do what Ned and Jon Arryn could not: Survive and flourish as a player and good person.

Half of the crown's debt has been borrowed from the Lannisters. The fact that the crown is in debt at all after Littlefinger has multiplied revenue is suspicious as hell. How does the saying go? 'If you owe the bank a million dollars, then the bank owns you. If you owe the bank a hundred million dollars, then you own the bank.' It's likely that Sansa can bankrupt the Lannisters simply by keeping Littlefinger's ill-gotten gains.

"Sansa had never had much of a head for figures. If she did marry Prince Joff, Arya hoped for his sake that he had a good steward."

Perhaps this is a kind of irony? She didn't marry Joff, she's learning to manage household affairs. So she needs to find a good steward, or become one. Or steward could reference the Late English use of husband.

It would be a coup if Sansa got her hands on Littlefinger's money and none were the wiser of how she managed to do so.

Archived