Let's make a list of GRRM mistakes

Poppa Chase

I might mention, though, that Ned's account, which you refer to, was in the context of a dream... and a fever dream at that. Our dreams are not always literal.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Concerning_the_Tower_of_Joy

Ned does not have a fever in chapter 39.

The fever seems obviously implied considering he had a compound fracture and was unconscious for more than six days. This was clearly a dream under the influence of pain, milk of the poppy, and yes, fever. Even a mild fracture can cause a fever. A severe fracture where the bone breaks through the skin is more than enough to warrant fever.

As long as HE finishes the story idc how long he takes. Though the author that finished the Wheel of Time series did well I'd been happier with Jordan. Who pays attention to hip size in books? Nerds jk

GRRM just celebrated his 66th birthday. It's not a given that he will live to finish the series, especially if it requires another extension to 8 books (which he has stated is a distinct possibility.) And he has also explicitly stated that if he doesn't finish them he doesn't want anyone else to do so in his stead.

I'm about to turn 62, and I can tell you that the energy levels aren't what they used to be, let alone the creative imagination. If anything each novel is likely to take MUCH longer than the preceding one from here on in (the trend is already apparent, since the publication of ASoS.)

I'd feel a lot better about things if he wasn't spending 3-4 months of every year doing the ComicCon circuit, and another ??? months editing anthologies. Unless he changes those habits, we will not see him finish the series in ANY time frame.

And he has also explicitly stated that if he doesn't finish them he doesn't want anyone else to do so in his stead.

Personally, I have no interest in anyone's ending other than GRRM's. I would rather see George tinker away at a page a year until he is 120 (producing 54 more pages) than have anyone else finish the series for him at any earlier time.

That said, GRRM's wishes are relevant only for the duration of his life (may it be long and healthy). The dearly-departed cannot hold property, including intellectual property. His heirs, not GRRM, will decide whether it gets farmed out to another author. And there is obviously money to be made, so draw the logical conclusion as to whether they would do so.

GRRM would be a hard act to follow, even if an author had all of his notes, plans and thoughts. I have yet to find a series where a follow on author(s) has held my interest to nearly the same degree as the original author. It's like something vital is missing... The original author might destroy a planet between chapters and the follow-on author's would just sequentially plow through events. For GRRM, new things keep dropping into focus after a third or fourth re-read. Who writes in a similar fashion? Any suggestions?

GRRM would be a hard act to follow, even if an author had all of his notes, plans and thoughts. I have yet to find a series where a follow on author(s) has held my interest to nearly the same degree as the original author. It's like something vital is missing... The original author might destroy a planet between chapters and the follow-on author's would just sequentially plow through events. For GRRM, new things keep dropping into focus after a third or fourth re-read. Who writes in a similar fashion? Any suggestions?

Might as well bring in Sanderson. Not like he doesn't have experience finishing series he didn't write. His style isn't that similar, but I'm sure he could adapt.

Biggest issue is I think that GRRM doesn't seem to have a complete sketch of how things end up AND how they get there. Took him a while to undo the Meerenese knot.

I know it was because of plot, but how the heck could Tyrion figure the whole Aegon plan out like he was calculating 2+2?

Because he actually won some relevant, yet seemingly unimportant information that isn't revealed to the audience from Haldon after beating him at cyvasse. Whatever Tyrion learned was enough to connect the dots, because that chapter ends with Tyrion thinking about the birth of a king and the next Tyrion chapter (I think) has Tyrion think about Aegon as 'prince' shortly before revealing what he knows to Griff (and the audience).

In Jon's POV he gives the obsidian dagger to Grenn, but in Sam's POV Jon gave it to him.

Good catch actually. I thought Jon had given Grenn, Sam, and Pyp a dagger each but when I checked he actually gave one to Grenn, one to Mormont, and kept one for himself. Sam got the horn and Jon gave a bunch of spearheads and arrowheads to his friends "for luck".

:agree:

grrm has not done a very good job with the passage of time in his novels. Wars and travel took a very long time during medieval times.

It is not 100% true. You are right about that most medieval wars were much longer, but e. g. in the Wars of the Roses (though the rivalry between York and Lancaster was decades long) the campaigns themselves were very quick and short, exactly because it was an inner war for the throne - neither side wanted to destroy the countryside for a long time, and lose local support and sympathy with it. Long sieges were rare, and generally both sides wanted to fight decisive battles as soon as possible. And GRRM has mentioned frequently the Wars of the Roses as an inspirative source for ASOIAF.

Archived