So Abercrombie or Bakker?

Ghjhero

I'm currently on the 7th Malazan book and while it is going to be a while till I am done with the series Im already thinking about which one should be my next.

The two authors I see mentioned the most here seem to be Ambercrombie and Bakker with fans praising their works tremondously. Without giving any spoilers which series should I read next and why?

Like others say it depends on whether you want something dark and fun or dark and thought-provoking? I'd say give them both a try - they are very different but I enjoy them a lot.

He's said that it's unlikely that he'll be able to finish the series. While TUC is completed, he's also stated that it is likely that'll be the last book he'll be able to write in the series due to low interest and his work habits.

I didn't want to read this. I hope it's something he works with. That or a "lighthearted" version of his books gets adapted into film/tv and his sales are boosted allowing him the time (via financial freedom) to complete it. I'd love to see the reaction of a toned down tv fan discovering the books.

Also, I don't have the quote, solo can probably find it though. But, Bakker said we he finished the TUC script and handed it in, that if he died tomorrow or never wrote the third trilogy, that he would be satisfied and so would the readers.

Ghjhero, I've read Bakker and am now reading First Law. I'm enjoying FL, but TSA is really a fantastic series. Its not your conventional fantasy IMHO. It has some scenes that are really rough to get through. But, one thing that kept me reading Malazan was the "what the hell is really going on here", well TSA has that multiplied by 10. As someone said the main character you truly have no concrete idea if he is for the good of the world, wants to destroy it, or has some other agenda. Plus there is Cnauir, you will love him. I like Akka, some do some don't. But as the series goes on it just keeps turning things on its head over and over. I haven't did a reread on it because of other books, but when a definite release date is set on TUC, I will do one. And the only other series I've ever reread is ASOIAF. Its good, really good.

But, Bakker said we he finished the TUC script and handed it in, that if he died tomorrow or never wrote the third trilogy, that he would be satisfied and so would the readers.
No, he said that they would be deeply UNsatisfied. (Bakker would be happy though) Madness, who read the things, concurred.

From what I gather it would be akin to reading Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back and then not ever getting Return of the Jedi. If you're cool with that the series is worth a read. If that bugs, probably not.

Abercrombie is worth it regardless, though, so like WJ said above it's an easy choice to make.

I’ve read both and like both very much.

Abercrombie’s work is instantly likeable and also really funny. There is almost no world-building, everything is about the characters, which are fifty shades of grey.

Bakker is you daddy’s fantasy. I think it’s the best thing the genre has ever produced, but others can’t stand it. Everything is superlative: the world-building, the scale, the questions.

Abercombie’s allusions are to the battle of Helm’s Deep. Bakker also references Tolkien, but also McCormack and Saussure.

Bakker has maps. The action scenes in Abercrombie are fast-paced and very vivid. Here’s an adrenalin-packed and spoiler-free extract from the Heroes: http://www.joeabercrombie.com/books/the-heroes/an-extract-from-the-heroes/. Bakker has the most awesome magic I know.

Both have some of the most memorable characters in the genre. I strongly encourage you to read both.

Bakker never said that it's unlikely for him to finish the series. Back when the dreadful Disciple of the Dog came out Bakker said that due to lack of reviews and sales it might no longer be viable for him to remain a full-time writer.

http://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/another-billboard-soul/

After The Unholy Consult is done, I could very well be done, at least as a full-time writer.

There’s no cause to fear for the completion of the series. There’s no turning back now. The question is one of how long it will take to finish without the luxury of time.

Even after more questioning from fans,

Second, do not worry, the APOCALYPSE HAS NOT ENDED. The books continue to sell, continue to be backlisted.

A few months ago he said,

But [TSA] does continue – for two more books, I’m thinking. There’s nothing I can say other than that all will become clear in due course.

Thanks Serwe! I'm going to look for the quote about him saying if he never wrote another page it would be a satisfying conclusion for all. I know Madness, said some storylines are left unfinished, or rather, more questions arise than answered. But, most series I've read the same is true. Ghjhero so you know, the third trilogy will take place twenty years after the conclusion of TUC. At least that's what I remember being told.

Thanks Serwe! I'm going to look for the quote about him saying if he never wrote another page it would be a satisfying conclusion for all. I know Madness, said some storylines are left unfinished, or rather, more questions arise than answered. But, most series I've read the same is true. Ghjhero so you know, the third trilogy will take place twenty years after the conclusion of TUC. At least that's what I remember being told.

I believe the quote is that Bakker would be satisfied and that all the plot lines he had in mind from the beginning would be resolved.

I didn't want to read this. I hope it's something he works with. That or a "lighthearted" version of his books gets adapted into film/tv and his sales are boosted allowing him the time (via financial freedom) to complete it. I'd love to see the reaction of a toned down tv fan discovering the books.

Making a light-hearted Bakker film is like leaving toast inside the toaster for a week and trying to scrape away the burnt bits; there won't be much left.

I wouldn't start Bakker's Earwa series until TUC comes out and is reviewed by long time readers.

If the dragons & chorae question isn't answered, I'll feel like I wasted money on all those hardcovers. :-)

I believe the quote is that Bakker would be satisfied and that all the plot lines he had in mind from the beginning would be resolved.

@unJon got it! My take on it is that the main plot of the story will have a satisfying conclusion. Because, again if the 3rd series takes place 20 yrs later then a lot of the main characters will be dead or not much of use. Because, come on, life expectancy isn't very high on Earwa. There's been many discussions on the Bakker threads as to what the third series would entail. Truly, I have no idea if it takes place 20 yrs later. There have been some interesting theories proposed though.

We don't know it's going to be 20 years later. I think Madness explicitly refused to say anything about the next series in that way.

and the issue with Bakker is that he was going to stop being a full-time writer after TUC - but ended up going back to school and working. His productivity by his own admission has been very slow - and that was with a book mostly completed. I just don't see that he'll be able to go back to it. Especially given that his books just aren't making him the money he needs to spend time on it.

Hmm I probably will end up reading both. But you're saying the third trilogy will take 20 years later, so the second trilogy should end well since the time gap means it kind of has to?

I also keep hearing of Bakker's brutal tales, is he as bad as I've heard haha?

I've also heard Abercrombie has some additional books set in the same world as the FL. Are they worth reading as well?

Making a light-hearted Bakker film is like leaving toast inside the toaster for a week and trying to scrape away the burnt bits; there won't be much left.

Great analogy but that's never stopped Hollywood at all. I guess it would ultimately depend on how Bakker would feel about the work being gutted for the screen. I'd be cool with him taking the money and using it to finish the series in all honesty.

It does sound like he'll finish it - it's just that it may take a while and may never be published (although kickstarter and ebooks could easily circumvent this). I think most authors claim they write things because they have to. Not that this comes before putting food on the table, having a roof over your head and having a life. From the quotes here it seems like Bakker is in that category and has his priorities right. We'll just have to be patient and hope he finishes it at some point.

Knowing the delays I'd suggest the OP does the Abercrombie books first. Maybe by the time he/she reads them and all of the existing Bakker books he'll have a short wait for the new Bakker book? And if not there'll be 2 of Abercrombie's YA books to enjoy :)

Archived