Captain America 3: Civil War -- Hang onto your Underoos

Bastard of Boston

I'd definitely think that Civil War would be a full Avengers film. It'd be interesting to see how they could handle it in just a Cap vs. Iron Man film but I don't think it'd work as well. So this may just be a set up. I'm anticipating that Loki will be used in place of the large cast of villains the government unleashes to detain supers.

Yeah, the big thing about that story-line was it put headliner vs headliner, and one of the main parts is spider-man trying to decide which side he's on, etc.

Making it just iron man vs Cap, with minor heroes nobody cares about...is a waste of one of the best story-lines, imo. But i guess they can't waste an avengers movie on that story-line either...

So, would Civil War take place before, after, or during the Infinity Gauntlet?

I'd say before. That way the infinity Gauntlet and Thanos will act as a way of bringing both sides of the civil war back together.

I was reading a rumour a week or so ago that Avengers 3 could be a film without the current roster in it. The idea was they only have the current cast contracted for 3 Avengers films but there's nothing to stop then having them appear in Avengers 4 instead. That way they could test out another roster and still go back to the originals if they need to. The only flaw with that rumour is a Civil war would be even more pointless without Iron Man and co (although Civil war did do without Thor)

I can't see the movies Iron Man being all that into a Registration Act.

This is what got me cocking an eyebrow.

Tony Stark/Iron Man is pretty anti-government in the MCU. Unless the fallout from Avengers 2 somehow changes his mind, it's going to seem like a weird turn of characterization to have him oppose the anti-registration people.

This is what got me cocking an eyebrow.

Tony Stark/Iron Man is pretty anti-government in the MCU. Unless the fallout from Avengers 2 somehow changes his mind, it's going to seem like a weird turn of characterization to have him oppose the anti-registration people.

I'm thinking they won't go for the exact same thing. So it's not gonna be about registration.

I think it's more likely that post Winter Soldier (and thus SHIELD gone) and post Age of Ultron (where Stark almost destroys the human race), they'll be a push to bring the supers under tighter government control. Cue arguments between the sides.

Given it's a Captain America movie, I'm betting it'll be mostly about his reactions to it, with Stark supporting. So not a full-on 1v1 thing.

Yeah I mean Stark creates Ultron. He's going to blame himself for the destruction. And there's rumours that War Machine may be killed off (due to Whedon's comments about being allowed to "kill off an entire franchise") which would be an extra punch in the stomach for Stark. So after Age of Ultron, all the Gifted's/Inhumans come out into the open (inspired by Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver) and that, mixed with Stark's own guilt leads him to join the pro-reg side.

I can live without a "war machine" franchise. Once they go down that route we'll be getting rainbow hulks and female versions of heroes (very rare you get male versions of female heroes).

Can someone remind me if the public know who steve rogers is? Given the museum I'm guessing it's a fact they all know who he is. Makes it harder to justify taking Cap down - although if he's harbouring vigilantes that could work.

Looks like the best way to do cap films is to have him be hunted down each time. We'll know for sure depending on how this film performs.

I thought there were hints at the end of the Winter Soldier that Stark is in place to take over shield as well, Maria Hill was hired in Human Resources after all. It feels like the Stark in MCU really struggles with control issues. I don't see him so much as becoming on the same side as the "Man," but becoming the "Man" himself.

Many of those storylines are like the gordian knot. Anyone who can actually navagate them in a way that is even half convincing deserves a lifetime achivement award.

Heh, I'm currently trying to read through the Civil War storyline and boy is it bloated beyond any other Marvel crossover I've seen. It's spread out over 101 issues of comics, a lot of them longer than the average of 20-22 pages.

Heh, I'm currently trying to read through the Civil War storyline and boy is it bloated beyond any other Marvel crossover I've seen. It's spread out over 101 issues of comics, a lot of them longer than the average of 20-22 pages.

And in all honesty you can read the main book and get the story. That's what's wrong with cross-over "events". I think Civil War was the first time they tried having a fight eg Punisher vs Captain America over 2 pages in the main series and then had 4 issues of Punisher covering the same thing. Or things to that end anyhow.

It's the thing I hope the MCU doesn't fall into as it is so bad in the comics, I only read the titles that don't get involved in events or skip the issues that do (which often results in me stopping all together). It took a long time for the comics to get that incestuous though so movies should be fine for a while.

The main thing I want them to change from the CW comics is the balance between Cap and Stark as hero and villain. It gradually becomes really obvious in the comics that we're meant to root for Cap - Stark's arguments become gradually weaker and his methods increasingly draconian over the course of the storyline.

This bugged me because I totally got Stark's point. Of *course* you don't get to be vigilantes because you have superpowers. That's a fucking given.

I'm thinking they won't go for the exact samjre thing. So it's not gonna be about registration.

I know little or nothing about this whole thing (which might be a good thing when it comes out) but one thing a few different writers have said is that Robert Downey jr. and IM are too important too MU, and they would never risk making him/them any where near as bad as the character in Civil War. One even pointed out that in the MU almost all of the hero's are already known/out or known about by the gov'mt so the whole signing up thing doesn't seem like the right fit.

IMO the whole good guy vs good guy where both think they are doing the right thing sounds good, but doesn't usually end up w/ much fireworks. On the other hand Bad guy vs Bad guy could be the best thing ever. I wish they do that.

Archived