Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Part Deux

Wee baby Shamus

You would think that Mockingbird wouldn't be aligned with bad guys.... so I'm thinking that y'all are on to something.... it's probably just a case of seperate, but noble intentions

If they got Olmos for the part, it's because they want the new SHIELD to be represented by someone harsh, but principled.

So Mockingbird was a SHIELD agent pretending to be a Coulson SHIELD agent pretending to be a HYDRA agent when we met her?

The show has pulled this kind of shit since the plot with Agent Ward, whose double identity makes absolutely no fucking sense when rewatching the first 10 episodes, if, for some reason, you'd want to rewatch the first 10 episodes. I'm not sure how far the showrunners plan along, but boy, it ain't far.

So Mockingbird was a SHIELD agent pretending to be a Coulson SHIELD agent pretending to be a HYDRA agent when we met her?

I'd imagine yes, since someone mentioned they were bringing Xena back I assume it's a flashback where she makes it clear to Mockingbird and Mack and whoever else that they really work for this other SHIELD.

Also I can't read about Edward James Olmos without thinking about that time on 30 Rock where Tracey casually mentions an Edward James Olmos impersonator called Edward James Almost.

I don't see how Mockingbird working undercover as a Hydra agent undermines anything. Just because she's working with a different SHIELD faction doesn't negate the fact that Hydra is an organization both factions want to take down. Also, the fact that she's been, ultimately, spying on everyone sort of supports what was initially said about her before she was brought on the show. The writers said something about wanting to do something interesting with the spy element. It also adds to Bobbi's characterization as someone struggling with the fact that she can't be truthful to anyone about anything, ever.

Coulson's team, since Winter Soldier, has always been portrayed as ragtag and trying to pick up the pieces. SHIELD was dismantled. I don't understand the notion that we're supposed to view Coulson's team as a well-oiled machine...that we're supposed to take them seriously.

If anything, what this new faction of SHIELD will probably shed light on is someone has already picked up the pieces, without Coulson. So, here you have Coulson, still trying to rebuild with all this Inhuman shit going on, and you have Adama show up, with a spiffy new logo and marketing team, pretty much saying, "While you were trying to pick up the pieces, I made us legit. You aren't needed. You're Fury's guy and Fury fucked this shit up. I am taking SHIELD from you."

The fact remains, Hunter was a merc. Hunter is not SHIELD...he was hired help, highlighting the idea that Coulson, at the point Hunter was brought in, was looking for warm bodies to shoot guns. Coulson trying to keep this trainwreck together has been the intended narrative. If you watch this show and note the fact that this team can't get their stuff together, I think that's kind of the point. They are misfits. This is the Whedon thing.

Wouldn't it have been easier for Olmos-SHIELD to plant one agent in Coulson-SHIELD and one in HYDRA? Why complicate things? As mentioned earlier, I just don't think they plan that far ahead. Neither season has seen much connection between its first and second half.

I understand it's meant to be picking up the pieces, but we're supposed to believe that this organisation is our first point of contact for alien life, for the discovery of Inhumans.......it's just not believable anymore that any government would tolerate this, or even that Fury would think half a dozen disparate agents would be the best people to deal with this stuff. From the start, AoS has played second fiddle to everything in the MCU, none of the movie-driven plot points have been what's best for the show (I find it odd that before the first season is done they completely dismantle SHIELD, then continue with it despite Cap and Fury both agreeing it should be torn down)......again, it goes back to planning. I see no evidence that there's any long term plan for this show, it just fudges its way down the middle of the MCU.

I get from the context that you're talking about the other shield but who or what is Adama?

......again, it goes back to planning. I see no evidence that there's any long term plan for this show, it just fudges its way down the middle of the MCU.

And it really is a shame. The "don't tell the Avengers I'm alive because why again?" thing is only gonna get more tiring. I was disappointed to learn Coulson won't cameo in Age of Ultron. Fury even said he revived him because he considered him the seventh Avenger!

I get from the context that you're talking about the other shield but who or what is Adama?

Edward James Olmos played Commander Adama in the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. Since,AFAIK, we don't have a name for Olmos' character in AoS, referring his role by using the name of another well known character played by the same actor kind of makes sense.

Edward James Olmos played Commander Adama in the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. Since,AFAIK, we don't have a name for Olmos' character in AoS, referring his role by using the name of another well known character played by the same actor kind of makes sense.

Ooh ok. They actually did release his character's name it's

Robert Gonzalez

priority one of not letting in undercover agents since the HYDRA snafu gets buggered up, oh, turns out two of the guys I hired pretty much the day after that happened weren't legit.

Well, they wouldn't have any trouble passing the lie detector test - "Yep, we're absolutely 100% loyal to SHIELD, no worries".

And it really is a shame. The "don't tell the Avengers I'm alive because why again?" thing is only gonna get more tiring. I was disappointed to learn Coulson won't cameo in Age of Ultron. Fury even said he revived him because he considered him the seventh Avenger!

Assuming that pretty much nobody watches this show who isn't going to see Avengers 2, surely this would be great time to whip us all up into a frenzy about that movie? One month to go, they could be hunting down the Baron after hearing some rumours of a 'gifted' pair of siblings and giving us background info on Quicksilver and SW, tying it all in with Inhumans.....instead we're getting another SHIELD, which makes two that won't get mentioned in any movie.

I've got a feeling that non-AoS viewers (or non CA:WS viewers as well) will get a brief bit of exposition on how SHIELD went to shit, without so much as a whisper of Coulson.

I'm not sure how far the showrunners plan along, but boy, it ain't far.

I think it is legitimately at most half a season due to the movies. Like the first half of season 1 - I think they were told to do whatever they wanted to for story until CA:WS came out and then they would have their arc.

I think it is kinda the same now - though I wish they would have learned from the first time and been a little stronger in the independent storytelling.

RumHam, I'm not really sure that should be spoiler tagged. It's just a name that has no relevance to the comics (that I know of.)

It's hard to say about film knowledge, Garret was clearly meant to be the clairvoyant since his appearance and as the big bad one would have thought the entire series. So we know he was crooked, that fits in with Winter Soldier too neatly to not be planned out ahead of time. The question after that is whether Ward was always destined to be a bad guy, Brett Dalton definitely didn't know until a few episodes before (but then actors don't always know they're going to live out the series so that might not be too telling.) Was he purposefully made to be dull and wooden, so it made sense? Or was that the reason they made him bad? Either way I see as a good thing, they either had the balls to plan ahead, or were not afraid to mix things up.

As for Avengers 2 what with Jed being Joss' brother you'd think he'd know what's coming up (he also worked on the first Avengers.) But seeing how there was criticism of excessive nods and winks towards the films in the first parts of S1, they might be trying to be their own thing more.

Wouldn't it have been easier for Olmos-SHIELD to plant one agent in Coulson-SHIELD and one in HYDRA? Why complicate things? As mentioned earlier, I just don't think they plan that far ahead. Neither season has seen much connection between its first and second half.

It's a story element. It's a device used to surprise viewers. The spy is really spying on you for someone else. Adama (Yes, I'm using his BSG name because that's how I will always see him) needed to infiltrate Coulson's team. Coulson comes courting Bobbi for this assignment, Adama says, "Bobbi, this is your chance to get into Coulson's inner circle." From a characterization standpoint, Bobbi's status as a spy -- this is her skillset -- has been set up as her character arc.

Bobbi was introduced in a way which establishes what her role on this team is, and it was also a cool intro, regardless. The "Hydra agent" is on our side. So, now the audience knows she's a spy. It's her thing. This thing is what defines her -- Hunter doesn't trust her, and it turns out he shouldn't. She feels bad because she's lying to her friends.

Does it complicate things to make the Hydra spy into SHIELD spy on top of it all? Sure. But, this is a TV show. The intent is to create drama, so Adama cutting out the middle man might make sense in the real world, but it doesn't make a TV show any more entertaining.

I don't see any of this as hack writing nor writing with no foresight. It's messing with viewer expectations.

So Olmos SHIELD has its base of operation on an aircraft carrier, with crappy security. Somehow, Fury's helicarrier is more believable. There's no way they could maintain that without some part of the U.S. government, say the U.S. Navy supporting them.

Also, if anyone ever makes a live action Mass Effect movie or series, the guy who plays Ward would be a good choice for Shepard. That creepy music that kept playing in the Ward & 33 scenes reminded me of ME.

Archived