What is going on with Littlefinger's Tapestries?

Shadow Cat 75

In Feast of Crows it is said that Littlefinger wanted Cersei to send some old Tapestries from Robert's collection to him in the Vale. So what is on those tapestries that are so important? I have a feeling they are key to his plans but I don't see how?

I admit Littlefinger for me is one of the hardest people to read in the books, I know he wants Sansa and power and so far he seams to be getting everything he wants, so I do not know how these Tapestries play into his plan. I first thought maybe they show that Cersie had her children with her brother not Robert but Cersie would be able to know if those reveal her secret. Then I thought that they prove young Griff is a Blackfyre but then he would have to know about that and Varys would have gotten ride of them anyhow.

So does anyone have ideas about these things and how they fit into littlefinger's master plan?

I think it's just a way for him to show the Vale the "friendship" between him and the Iron Throne. Like, if Cersei took the time to send him some random tapestries, she'd obviously send him some men should he need them (or so he wants the Lords Declarant to think)

They're a flippant request meant to communicate how unconcerned he is about the lords' rebellion, which have unaccountably become the nexus of reams of speculation about his master plan.

I agree with this guy. It was just a distraction to keep Cersei from suspecting his motives.

I've heard a few good theories about the tapestries.

1. They are a Baratheon version of the Targ tapestries at Darry and they show the same thing the book Jon Aryn, Stannis, and Ned read in regards to the Baratheon line always having black hair.

2. He just needed the crown to send something so he could have something else hidden in them, this theory suspects the item is Sansa's maiden cloak.

They're a flippant request meant to communicate how unconcerned he is about the lords' rebellion, which have unaccountably become the nexus of reams of speculation about his master plan.

I think it's just a way for him to show the Vale the "friendship" between him and the Iron Throne. Like, if Cersei took the time to send him some random tapestries, she'd obviously send him some men should he need them (or so he wants the Lords Declarant to think)

Just a request to keep people confused, off guard, letting them think he's being a little vain while he keeps planning.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

The very LF states that he sometimes do something just to confuse other people.

But I wouldn't take his words at face value. Not if he can take the slightest advance.

As far as I can remember, we just know that Robert had the dragon skulls taken out and some tapestries put instead. So, they are Robert's work.

LF knows Cersei was glad of getting rid of Robert, and he lets her show it. If he's planning to rise against Lannisters and Tyrells, he'll use any means to keep the Storm Lands from helping them. Of course, this is inmaterial, but it's the salt to put on the wound. It's Stannis who brought up the issue of Cersei's children parentage. LF can waive something about the strange circumstances of Robert's death, and use the tapestries to claim his loyalty to Robert.

I elaborate a bit more. At some moment he can pretend that he has find out that the Lannisters were behind the deaths of Arryn and Robert. If Cersei's children aren't Robert's and Lannisters are traitors, any member of the Robert's Council can declare his loyalty to Baratheon House and name himself Protector of the Realm while a proper new king is chosen.

And, who are those members? Stannis rebelled himself, BS turned to the Targs, others died. Only LF remained loyal to the IT and House Baratheon.

In the end, the strongest will prevail, and propaganda is a mighty weapon.

The meaning of those tapestries lies in the bolded part.

"You dare call me untrustworthy? It was not me who bared steel at a parley. You write of defending Lord Robert even as you deny him food. That must end. I am no warrior, but I will fight you if you do not lift this siege. There are other lords besides you in the Vale, and King’s Landing will send men as well. If it is war you want, say so now and the Vale will bleed.”

Alayne could see the doubt blooming in the eyes of the Lords Declarant. “A year is not so long a time,” Lord Redfort said uncertainly. “Mayhaps... if you gave assurances...”

“None of us wants war,” acknowledged Lady Waynwood. “Autumn wanes, and we must gird ourselves for winter.”

Belmore cleared his throat. “At the end of this year...”

“...if I have not set the Vale to rights, I shall willingly step down as Lord Protector,” Petyr promised them.

“I call that more than fair,” Lord Nestor Royce put in.

“There must be no reprisals,” insisted Templeton. “No talk of treason or rebellion. You must swear to that as well.”

“Gladly,” said Petyr. “It is friends I want, not foes. I shall pardon all of you, in writing if you wish. Even Lyn Corbray. His brother is a good man, there is no need to bring down shame upon a noble House.”

Archived