Video Games - dragons, lasers and zombies

Lyanna Stark

Just wanted to drop the new Game of thrones game trailer done(I say nw because they literally tried this a few years ago with a game about the same), looks meh to be frank, the graphics are far from great, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kso96b-aDjk

I've never much cared for story driven video games like these. And this seems to combine the show with the books, and I would rather see one based just on the books.

I've never much cared for story driven video games like these. And this seems to combine the show with the books, and I would rather see one based just on the books.

The first game seemed a bit closer, mostly because it came out before D&D started really changing the plot around. But, though I like more then most, the graphics weren't that great.

Edit: nvm, looks like it's Xperia only. I'll have to look into rooting my nexus 9, I'm sure there will be a way. Android is android, after all...

Yeah, right now its Xperia... but you have to figure that down the road they'll release an app to allow it on other platforms. Consider me amazed.

Yeah, right now its Xperia... but you have to figure that down the road they'll release an app to allow it on other platforms. Consider me amazed.

Yeah, for sure...even if it were to be a paid app on other phones, that would be huge.

And there is a port of the app for other android users, if anyone's interested. It requires rooting the device, just as a heads up. I'll dive in and see how it goes...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/4-4-4-stock-xperia-devices-ps4-remote-t2868092

The first game seemed a bit closer, mostly because it came out before D&D started really changing the plot around. But, though I like more then most, the graphics weren't that great.

The first game was based on the books, but HBO did a licensing deal quite late on. So they dropped in a couple of the TV voice actors and changed the Iron Throne to look like the TV one and made the Red Keep a bit more TV-ish and erm, that's about it. The Wall and Castle Black are nothing like the TV version (the Wall has the switchback stair on it, unlike the TV show, and Castle Black is completely unwalled as in the books), King's Landing outside the Red Keep looks like the books more than the TV show etc. All the dates are from the books as well (Robert's Rebellion was 15 years earlier, not 17 etc).

The game really takes place in its own continuity, mixing elements from the books and TV show whilst not really being part of either.

Not particularly. W1 is a really good game, but a lot of people could see it as really, really janky these days. Depends on when you started playing videogames I guess. Here's what you need to know:

• You saved a King's life at the end of Witcher 1 by killing a strange Witcher. You're working for that king in the beginning of W2

Dandelion is a bard and has your back, though he's kind of a ridiculous dumbass sometimes. You can talk him into sleeping with a succubus really, really easily, for instance. He thinks you're the second greatest thing in the world, after himself.

Zoltan is your dwarf bro and is super cool. You know each other well and are basically beer-drinking battle buddies.

Triss is a sorceress you became romantically involved with in (or after, for those who romanced Shani) the events of W1. She's kinda sketchy because while she clearly likes you, Geralt's also an amnesiac in W1 and she lets you think she was the sorceress you were involved with, rather than the person it actually was, namely:

Yennefer. She doesn't pop up much in W2 until later, and when she does, it should be explained pretty well to you.

I think that's all the major characters?

Yeah that's pretty much the gist of it.

I've played video games since '95 so I am used to older stuff, and was curious about how older W1 would look compared to W2.

It's only $10 on Steam so I may just say fuck it and buy it.

Thank you!

Just wanted to drop the new Game of thrones game trailer done(I say nw because they literally tried this a few years ago with a game about the same), looks meh to be frank, the graphics are far from great, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kso96b-aDjk

I could listen to Lena Headey's voice all day.

I'm definitely gonna give it a shot, so fingers crossed.

I've played video games since '95 so I am used to older stuff, and was curious about how older W1 would look compared to W2.

Witcher is often on sales, either on Steam or on GOG. W2 is obviously better graphically, but W1 was quite good when it was released - 2007, so old and dated compared to current graphics, but if you've used to play Warcraft or Baldur's Gate, it's way better ;) Combat is a bit tricky/messy/annoying gameplay-wise, at times.

Witcher is often on sales, either on Steam or on GOG. W2 is obviously better graphically, but W1 was quite good when it was released - 2007, so old and dated compared to current graphics, but if you've used to play Warcraft or Baldur's Gate, it's way better ;) Combat is a bit tricky/messy/annoying gameplay-wise, at times.

Definitely gonna buy it. Thank you :)

The remakes of the third generation Pokemon Games, Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, released today. I gotta tell you, the series is moving in the right direction by slowly implementing a more open world. It's a bit less personal than X and Y but it makes up for it with more substance.

The remakes of the third generation Pokemon Games, Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, released today. I gotta tell you, the series is moving in the right direction by slowly implementing a more open world. It's a bit less personal than X and Y but it makes up for it with more substance.

Any reason to get it for someone who completed their National Dex?

The first game was based on the books, but HBO did a licensing deal quite late on. So they dropped in a couple of the TV voice actors and changed the Iron Throne to look like the TV one and made the Red Keep a bit more TV-ish and erm, that's about it. The Wall and Castle Black are nothing like the TV version (the Wall has the switchback stair on it, unlike the TV show, and Castle Black is completely unwalled as in the books), King's Landing outside the Red Keep looks like the books more than the TV show etc. All the dates are from the books as well (Robert's Rebellion was 15 years earlier, not 17 etc).

The game really takes place in its own continuity, mixing elements from the books and TV show whilst not really being part of either.

Would you recommend the game for something like 5 or 10 bucks?

Any reason to get it for someone who completed their National Dex?

It's aesthetically stunning, even more so than Pokemon X and Y. As mentioned, they've opened up the world a little more. There's this cool little feature where you can actually see some wild Pokemon in the grass, check their level and moves and if you want it, you have to use the analog to sneak up on it. Pokemon interacting with the routes, such as flying types flying by and a school of Luvdiscs swimming by when you dive.

Honestly, the game is worth purchasing just for the graphical overhauls and the subtle changes they make to the story.

I played maybe 2 or 3 hours of W1 and thought that it seems to be quite ok. However the system requirements are quite high so it does not run that well on my laptop although I have put all settings to low. Combat is not that great either.

Meanwhile I have gone back to playing on consoles so I am probably never going to finish it.

Archived