Why was Benjen allowed to go to Winterfell for King Robert's feast?

EddardsHead

When it comes to the Night's Watch vows they take them awfully seriously. Why was Benjen allowed to take a solo vacation from the wall in order to visit his family for a feast, when the Night's Watch prides themselves on leaving their old families behind and becoming brothers amongst themselves?

When it comes to the Night's Watch vows they take them awfully seriously. Why was Benjen allowed to take a solo vacation from the wall in order to visit his family for a feast, when the Night's Watch prides themselves on leaving their old families behind and becoming brothers amongst themselves?

He's of the rank to schmooze Robert for more money for the watch and he's part of the family hosting the event.

Mormont:

Hmmm, the king is coming up here, and we really need help. Additionally, Ned Stark has been thinking about ways to use the gift. If only I had someone that has a personal connection to one of them to send to discuss terms with, especially someone that both of them should respect. Oh well...

I would imagine it's a combination of wanting to keep the Lord of Winterfell on good terms along with Benjen having earned a measure of trust and to represent the interests of the Night's Watch while he was there. He came back with Jon among others after all.

I never saw anything wrong with letting people go on little sojourns to their homelands to recruit after they've proven they can be trusted.

All of the above, plus at this point in the story the watch was (near enough) at peace. there was no looming war with the others so the 1st ranger wasn't a necessity like he would have been at a later stage.

Anyway, it wasn't a vacation, he was sort of working

Because he was in a good position to ask the king for more support. So it's a good move for the Watch in theory, though it seems Benjen failed to get anything.

Also because as Lord Stark's only brother Benjen could do pretty much whatever he wanted and Mormont would let it go for obvious reasons.

it was certain so far as eddard was concerned that benjen would both want, and be able, to visit.

he had the message sent by 'the swiftest bird', however that is determined.

and it was only for a jolly-up, i remember no mention of requests for money/men/supplies being made by bj at wf.

When it comes to the Night's Watch vows they take them awfully seriously.

Yes, but the vows don't say "I will never go south to visit my brother." Of course unless you're from the northern north visits home are probably out of the question just as a matter of practicality.

Benjen never asked the King or even Ned for more men, gold. or supplies so I don't know where you guys are getting that.

Actually, we have no idea that he didn't. IIRC, he was there about a month. Very little of that is actually shown through POV. Also, assuming I'm recalling correctly, we do know Ned was discussing settling the Gift, which would certainly have involved the NW.

Something else to consider. Just like modern military, members may be allowed leave from time to time. Considering that Benjen was first ranger, I would think he was of sufficient rank and trustworthiness to allow him leave for the king's visit to his family's estate.

I don't think that the night's watch is as "hardcore" as some may believe it to be. Yes, the vows are taken seriously by some members both inwardly and outwardly and by all members at least outwardly, that does not preclude a little R n R here and there, especially for high ranking members (i.e. Benjen).

Archived