Football 100million: #6seasonsAndaRelegation

Grand Moff Mithrandir

Watching football and drinking all day is easily the best weekend activity. NO SHAME.

This is one of those things on which citizens of many nations and fans of many football codes can agree. :cheers:

This is one of those things on which citizens of many nations and fans of many football codes can agree. :cheers:

It's the principle of the thing. You don't work hard all week in order to restrain yourself on a Saturday. Weekends are all about the all day binge drinking!

@Alex: I applaud this now with the expectation I will be cursing your soul tomorrow. Jellied eels level of cursage.

Happy to accept responsibility.

Currently considering getting the train to Islington and going for a pint with my Arsenal friends. Just to sample to mood.

Quick to blame the manager, but the players showed zero conviction and the defeat is on them.

The first half misses did come back to haunt them but it wasn't conviction they were lacking. They really worked their arses off start to finish, just couldn't get anything out of De Gea's reach until Giroud scored the goal of the month in the 5th minute of Wenger Time.

When you shoot at De Gea's mid-riff, he's probably going to save those. Not saying he didn't do well in goal, but a lot of it was also down to very poor finishing. Having conviction in the final ball and shots on goal is not the same thing as trying really hard.

When you shoot at De Gea's mid-riff, he's probably going to save those. Not saying he didn't do well in goal, but a lot of it was also down to very poor finishing. Having conviction in the final ball and shots on goal is not the same thing as trying really hard.

Oh sure, I agree the finishing could've been a lot sharper, but yeah, having conviction IS the same thing as trying really hard. "Lacking conviction" doesn't mean "lacking skill", it means "lacking belief". It's what you say when a team are going through the motions because they're already mentally beaten. Arsenal never played like they didn't think they had it in them, especially in that first half period with the misses when they were dominating with ease. They had conviction up the wazoo.

Yeah, I agree with Raja. De Gea was kept busy but he was not exactly pulling off spectacular saves but rather save one would expect him to make.

It wasn't the saves that were impressive, but his control of the box and his sweeping, which is normally his weakest thing but he did today very well.

Oh sure, I agree the finishing could've been a lot sharper, but yeah, having conviction IS the same thing as trying really hard. "Lacking conviction" doesn't mean "lacking skill", it means "lacking belief". It's what you say when a team are going through the motions because they're already mentally beaten. Arsenal never played like they didn't think they had it in them, especially in that first half period with the misses when they were dominating with ease. They had conviction up the wazoo.

I think it's certainly fair to say that Arsenal lacked conviction in their finishing. They might have been quality getting the ball forward, but once in the final position, the shots were tame and hesitant. Apart from Giroud.

I think it's certainly fair to say that Arsenal lacked conviction in their finishing. They might have been quality getting the ball forward, but once in the final position, the shots were tame and hesitant. Apart from Giroud.

Well if you're saying it then I'll happily concede without further argument. :cheers:

It wasn't the saves that were impressive, but his control of the box and his sweeping, which is normally his weakest thing but he did today very well.

I agree on that point. What I meant was that Arsenal were not kept out due to great saves but rather poor finishing. They just seemed to run out of ideas in the final third.

But enough about Arsenal. We move into the CL positions despite our ever increasing injury list. Tbh, I was fearing the worst before this run of fixtures starting with Chelsea. We may have not played the most attractive football in that time but the team has shown alot of backbone. I'm very pleased with the fighting spirit displayed by the team.

I'm very pleased with the fighting spirit displayed by the team.

Yeah, it's been good. Di Maria's not been great but he never gives up, and most everyone else has shown impressive spirit. I've been very impressed with how Fellaini's inserted himself into the team in the absence of Herrera, in particular; he was probably our best outfield player again today.

I'm increasingly disgusted with Van Persie's attitude though. He just doesn't look like he gives a shit. LVG needs to drop him.

I haven't seen the first goal, or heard anything about it apart from Woj getting injured in the process, but now I'm curious.

Edit: Oh jeez, it's only Dortmund next on Wednesday

Szczesny came out, Gibbs didn't hear his call, they crashed into each other dropping them both on the floor and causing Szczesny's punch to go to Valencia, who hit a terrible shot wide of the far post but Gibbs, while trying to get up, waved a leg at it while completely unaware of where he was and put it in.

And Szczesny couldn't carry on after the collision.

Dortmund lost Reus today, and a two goal lead, so they'll be almost as hurting as you.

Archived