What's for Dinner #5

TerraPrime

You're going to have to tell us what you're doing before we can tell you what you're doing wrong. Can you provide your recipe?

My recipe was 100% whole wheat flour, but a lot of recipes call for a mix of whole wheat and other flour, like all-purpose.

Are you kneading by hand, by stand mixer, by food processor, or by bread machine?

Ooops, sorry. I did mean to give the recipe. Here it is:

750g wholemeal flour

30g butter

2 tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

7g fast-action yeast

450ml tepid water

Then it is a fairly standard method (rub the butter into the flour, stir in salt, sugar and yeast. Add the water for a sticky dough).

I mix and knead the dough by hand since I don't have a machine or food processor. My typical proving time is roughly 1 hour

A couple things.

First, you probably know this, but yeast breads typically rise twice -- once in the bowl, once in the pan. For white bread I rise 2 hours in the bowl and 1 in the pan; for wheat bread, 1 hour each. If you're only doing one rise, that may be the source of your problem. These times are approximate of course, you can adjust up or down as needed.

Second, kneading wheat bread by hand will result in a denser, smaller loaf.

Finally, let me give you the recipe I used, which is out of the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. I got it recently but it has become my baking bible. It has different proportions, an extra ingredient or three, and far, far less flour. My measures are in imperial, you can convert with Google.

12oz water

1 1/4 oz olive oil

3 3/4 oz honey, molasses, or maple syrup

1 Tbsp whole bread improver (optional)

1 1/4 oz sunflower seeds, chopped

1 1/8 oz walnuts, chopped

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp instant yeast

Combine all ingredients to form a shaggy dough. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes (allows time for flour to absorb liquid). Knead about 10 minutes, until "smooth and supple. The dough will seem very slack at first; just keep mixing and eventually it will come together, though it will remain sticky."

Rise in greased, covered bowl 1 hour. Shape into loaf (I punched it down/deflated at this point, I assume I was supposed to), place in pan. Rise under proof cover or greased plastic wrap an aditional hour, should crown ~2 inches over the rim of the pan.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes; for the last 20, tent lightly with aluminum foil.

Some notes.

- I have no idea what whole bread improver is, I didn't use it.

- I didn't have sunflower seeds, I did use walnuts. It would be okay if you didn't, I think.

- I opted for molasses as the sweetener; I have all three, but I don't use my molasses much and figured this would be a good opportunity to use some up.

- They called for a loaf pan 8.5" by 4.5". I have a more standard, slightly larger one. The book says, in general, that using the wrong size pan can mess with the shape. I was okay with how mine turned out, but the results are probably better if you use the right size.

- I gave measurements in weight where they were listed since you did and since it's more precise. (The book gives both.) If you want them in volume measures I can do that.

Girlfriend gave me a Thermapen for my birthday :D

Do you need ointment or antibiotics for that?

Seriously, I have no idea what Thermapen is. K, I looked it up myself.

EDIT: Oh yeah, made Swedish meatballs with ground lamb and pork. First time I tried them and they were awesome. I used leftover gravy from a roasted chicken for the sauce along with the drippings from the meatballs. There was not as much drippings as I would have liked since my dad's pigs are really lean.

I cookied.

http://i.imgur.com/UPQeifn.jpg

I think these are the prettiest cookies I have ever produced. I've been steadily perfecting my recipe -- I started with Keller's recipe as a base and modified slightly -- and I think I've finally nailed it all, including the baking time. I made these as little end-of-year gifts for the staff at one of my best hangouts, but I made a ton so I'm going to have lots of leftovers.

as i just got the hawksmoor at home book where we had a lovely dining experience during our holiday in london i am trying out their steak tartare and cheese toastie for dinner.

dry aged beef tenderloin, hot sauce, shallot, parsley, cornichon, caper and an egg yolk will become friends while being gobbled up with sour dough toast.

compte, 4 year cheddar and a soft gouda will be grated together with minced sweet onion, garlic, scallion, chive and chile and be pressed between buttered sour dough bread accented by coleman's mustard.

dessert will be sticky toffee pudding and ice cream.

viva england, bitches.

I cookied.

http://i.imgur.com/UPQeifn.jpg

I think these are the prettiest cookies I have ever produced. I've been steadily perfecting my recipe -- I started with Keller's recipe as a base and modified slightly -- and I think I've finally nailed it all, including the baking time. I made these as little end-of-year gifts for the staff at one of my best hangouts, but I made a ton so I'm going to have lots of leftovers.

Ahhh... I can almost smell them through the computer screen! :drool:

ETA: Yesterday I had the most delicious prime rib I've ever eaten. My son-in-law cooked it according to a recipe he found online where you start it out at around 500 degrees, cook for a short time, LEAVE OVEN DOOR CLOSED while monitoring meat thermometer temperature until it reaches desired level of doneness.

It takes longer than usual, but man, was it worth it.

Decided to make dinner for my girlfriend as I'm off for several days and she had to go back to work today.

http://i.imgur.com/DSj9hIg.jpg

Nothing fancy but it was delicious. Roast chicken breast topped with herbed bread crumbs, and sauteéd zucchini with garlic and tarragon. I don't cook with meat much, so this was something of a rarity. Also made a fresh loaf of bread, but I've posted enough pictures of boules already.

Archived