What's for Dinner #5

TerraPrime

I have been living on low-carb stews for the past week, beef, cabbage and kale, beef, mushroom and cabbage, and pork and red cabbage. All were delicious and hit the spot gloriously with our deep freeze weather. Oh, and all had onion and garlic as ingredients as well.

I need to find a place in the southern hemisphere so I can move there when its winter here and have garden fresh tomatoes year round

you should!

we get tomatoes all year round, (they come from Carnarvon through winter) and lots of fresh fruit and vegies all year

we also like to boast about our breweries and wineries

Friday's dinner:

Roasted pork loin with mustard and Rosemary crust

Roasted carrots

Sautéed Brussel sprouts and red onion glazed in Orange-pear preserves

Mashed potatoes with mushroom and onion gravy

Dinner guests brought chocolate cupcakes with butter cream caramel frosting.

I made dinner for my parents tonight. My mom is easy to please but my dad is the opposite, he likes his comfort foods and doesn't get real adventurous. So I made meat loaf, rosemary potatoes, and sauteed broccoli with garlic. I had never made meat loaf before, but I had lunch with my mom today and asked her how she made it, so insofar as I used a "recipe" it was talking to my mother for like two minutes. I did call an audible and added a bit of Liquid Smoke. It went over great -- people noticed and said they liked it. My dad declared it better than my mom's. Huge compliment as far as I'm concerned, since he's notoriously hard to please.

I put some water in the bottom of the pan because my mother told me I needed to. It worked great but I'm thinking of experimenting with varying the type of liquid. Stock would obviously add some more flavor; could I do it with beer? What about red wine? What would those do to it? Just different flavors? Would they be good?

Also considering mincing chiles into it next time. Thoughts welcome.

I don't really like meatloaf other than the vegetarian meatloaf at one of the restaurants, but I have made them before. I've always had liquid accumulating inside the meatloaf loaf pan at the end so I would never have thought to add water when I start.

If you want to add a liquid, I wouldn't do red wine because once the alcohol evaporates the flavor of the wine will condense and will likely to be too strong at the bottom.

Stock is probably your go-to.

But, to be honest, I am not sure if it will do much to add to the flavor of the meatloaf. But hey, I'm just guessing. :)

I made dinner for my parents tonight. My mom is easy to please but my dad is the opposite, he likes his comfort foods and doesn't get real adventurous. So I made meat loaf, rosemary potatoes, and sauteed broccoli with garlic. I had never made meat loaf before, but I had lunch with my mom today and asked her how she made it, so insofar as I used a "recipe" it was talking to my mother for like two minutes. I did call an audible and added a bit of Liquid Smoke. It went over great -- people noticed and said they liked it. My dad declared it better than my mom's. Huge compliment as far as I'm concerned, since he's notoriously hard to please.

I put some water in the bottom of the pan because my mother told me I needed to. It worked great but I'm thinking of experimenting with varying the type of liquid. Stock would obviously add some more flavor; could I do it with beer? What about red wine? What would those do to it? Just different flavors? Would they be good?

Also considering mincing chiles into it next time. Thoughts welcome.

Yeah, I'd say any of those liquids could work, depending on the specific recipe. My dad used to make meatloaf with tomato based sauce, and I think a red wine would go nice with, whereas my uncles "imperial" meatloaf would rather have stout.

The liquid is to help keep it moist (maybe to a lesser extent help with sticking to the pan?), yeah? I think a healthy portion of aromatics would have most effect in terms of flavor profile, and alcohol helping out especially with any tomato based recipe. Use whatever complements your recipe best.

Archived