What's for Dinner #5

TerraPrime

I got a little carried away making chili and now its a little too spicy. I guess I'll be adding cheese every time I eat it to try to cut the heat. Cornbread turned out super yummy though.

There's a "Cincinnati" style of chili which involves putting it over spaghetti, then sprinkling a healthy handful of shredded Colby cheese over it and letting it melt. Carb Loading!

Anyway, it would tame the heat nicely.

ETA: Oh, I forgot. Tonight I'm making fish tacos. I lurves them.

There's a "Cincinnati" style of chili which involves putting it over spaghetti, then sprinkling a healthy handful of shredded Colby cheese over it and letting it melt. Carb Loading!

Anyway, it would tame the heat nicely.

ETA: Oh, I forgot. Tonight I'm making fish tacos. I lurves them.

Another trick for Cinci style chili is to throw a bit of chocolate and cinnamon in there. Last time I was there i ate about a gallon of chili, and also some wicked good walleye tacos. Yumm!

That's interesting about the noodles - I just might try that. Even breaking up a couple cornbread muffins into it didn't quite break the heat the way I would have liked. I'm alone in eating it too because my roommate hates peppers and I just wasn't thinking when I made it. I put red pepper flakes in there. Too much obviously.

Don't forget the shredded cheese! That's what really makes it.

It sounds like a weird combination, but it's pretty darn good.

And, yeah, true Cincinnati chili has a bit of a sweet taste, as Larry points out. I've got packets of the chili seasoning in the pantry, just in case I get a yen for it. I spent around five years living in Cincinnnati and got hooked on this and Montgomery Inn ribs. :drool:

To get in the liquid in the meatloaf conversation a bit, my best advice for any meatloaf is to mix whatever ingredients you want in, and then let it stand in the refrigerator until it really firms before cooking.

If you are looking to add chilies, Serrano and Poblano peppers give good flavors especially if they have been smoked first.

This is my apple pie. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

http://i.imgur.com/q4VrOGY.jpg

Apple pie is probably my favorite thing in the world. Yours looks pretty darn good. The crust edges, though, may be a bit stingy. Was your dough insufficient to come out over the edges, or do you not like crust?

Homemade apple pie is a wondrous thing. I can't abide store-bought. It's nasssssty.

I've made an attempt to make pulled pork using shoulder cuts that are readily available here, and using an oven. It came out quite well. I am not happy with the spice balance I ended up with but it is something I will try again.

The smoking of the pork is the key I think.

For the best experience I don't doubt it. But since I never had the real thing I was already happy with what is at best a pale imitation. I might have to try some proper smoked one.

I did use (spanish) smoked paprika which did seem to have added a nice note.

A flurry of kitchen activity after an afternoon of beer hunting.

I made up a double batch of mayo.

Two bits are for tonight's dinner: burgers with spicy mustard mayo, and dressing for broccoli slaw with red onion, radish and carrot

One bit is for lunch this week : dressing for a BLT salad with romaine, oven-dried tomatoes with garlic, guacamole and of course bacon

MC also cooked cannelini beans, braised rainbow chard and made polenta I can crisp up for dinners this week.

Archived