What's for Dinner #5

TerraPrime

I'm having great northern beans that were cooked all day with a ham bone, a chopped up onion, some bay leaves, and a couple of dashes of MC's hot sauce.

I made a pan of cornbread and I'm in HEAVEN.

MC was a flurry of activity in the kitchen today getting my lunches and our dinner lined up for the week.

Lunches will be a soba noodle salad with ginger, sesame oil and soy dressing and carrots, cucumbers and bok choy.

We have red lentil soup and roasted butternut soup seasoned with garam masala for dinners later this week, along with salad of mixed greens.

Tonight for dinner was chicken thighs and broccoli sauteed with ginger, sesame and soy. Deelish.

Tomorrow night we'll add cashews to the leftovers.

Knowing that I was going to spend the evening watching teenaged farm boys chasing frozen rubber and beating the shit out of each other, I made a dinner of:

cheap white bread hot dog buns (toasted), cheap "all-beef" wieners (fried, obvsly), fried bacon, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale honey spice mustard, Trader Joes Organic Ketchup, home made horseradish and green onions.

It was, uh...awesome.

Knowing that I was going to spend the evening watching teenaged farm boys chasing frozen rubber and beating the shit out of each other, I made a dinner of:

cheap white bread hot dog buns (toasted), cheap "all-beef" wieners (fried, obvsly), fried bacon, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale honey spice mustard, Trader Joes Organic Ketchup, home made horseradish and green onions.

It was, uh...awesome.

damn do i love hot dogs.

Turkey was on sale for $0.89 a lb...

I love the prices right after the holiday. I have a bird in the oven right now stuffed with garlic, onions, peppers and celery seasoned with Cayenne pepper, paprika, black peppercorn, sea salt and a dash of chili powder.

It will be served with fresh greens with bacon and apple cider vinegar, and sweet potatoes with cinnamon, nutmeg and butter.

At Sunday dinner tonight, my friend's son's SO made samosas, pear chutney, broiled eggplant slices and quinoa salad.

She asked me to make dessert, and I made two desserts, both vegan, because the vegetarian son was visiting from Montreal. Gluten-free pound cake (turned out absolutely fantastic) and a lemon cream made from silken tofu, honey, lemon juice and lemon zest, with blackberries on top.

And spicy ginger old fashioneds for cocktails.

You have to cook different meals for yourself and for the rest of your family? Christ, they need to grow up and eat like adults.

No, I just make some carb thing for them. There are days I feel like it though. And days when they want stuff like pizza that I am not eating, it can really irritate me. Not such a huge pizza fan any more, but still.

And really, I am the one who eats differently.

Yesterday

Three fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches

Far too much fried chicken and shrimp fried rice

Half of a cheeseboard made up of Tillamook sharp cheddar, a nice blue, smoked gouda and half of a hard salami

I don't think I'll be eating today.

Archived