Boarders writing a Novel Part 12.

Andrew Gilfellon

Really having trouble trying to flesh out secondary characters. They're all pretty one dimensional in my novel right now, a read more as plot-devices than characters. Any tips?

Work out what they want and how they think they plan to get it. (For every named character in the book, you need to know this.) This automatically sets up points of cooperation and conflict with the main characters, both antagonists and protagonists, but should also give them a bit of humanity (word chosen on the assumption that they are human).

Thanks for the advice guys. The biggest problem is giving them a bigger role in the story, as at the moment they are merely members of one of the kings' councils, and none of them are POV characters, so I'm still struggling to find interesting ways for them to express their desires. Then again, I am not that far into the novel yet.

Have you planned out the entire plot already, or are you more of a GRRM-esque 'gardener', with just a good idea of how it will wrap up?

I am working off a very detailed outline, yet I still leave enough room for change and flexibility, as in, I'm very open to altering the story should the need arise, even though I have a very good idea of how it will end.

I am working off a very detailed outline, yet I still leave enough room for change and flexibility, as in, I'm very open to altering the story should the need arise, even though I have a very good idea of how it will end.

Have you started writing the book yet, or are you still doing the outline, or are you doing both at the same time?

I write a detailed outline first, but the writing process often changes some of the details. For characterization, what works best for me is determining and defining a character's motivations and desires, and figuring out what that person would actually do in that situation. The problem is that sometimes they don't want to cooperate with your story! When that happens, I'll either go along with it and see what happens, or change the character entirely.

If you're having trouble with secondary characters, maybe this would help -- try to figure out what these secondary characters are actually after, and see how that meshes with the main plot.

I think I might do that. I've been playing with a few ideas this past weekend that I think could prove for some good story-telling, so I shall have to just write and see. If it doesn't work, Ill just have to try something new. I currently am working on the second draft of the novel (the first draft ended up being about 125,000 words in length, and took only a year to write) and already it is shaping up to be much better in terms of prose, style, character development, consistency, etc. I've added, deleted, and completely revised entire characters, and all-in-all the story is much tighter, and more interesting than before.Still having trouble working out some things here and there, but looking at my progress so far, I'm hopeful that I can figure it out.

I also might add, If anyone is debating whether or not to put their novel away for a few months before returning to it with fresh eyes, I would extremely recommend it. When I finished the last chapter of my first draft, I remember thinking to myself "This is quite good. Just a few little corrections and I could probably start sending it out." Needless to say, I was mortified with what garbage I had managed to come up with. I didn't let it discourage me, however. Instead of thinking "Is this really the best I can do? I'm a terrible writer," I looked at it and realized just how drastic my standards had changed in 3 or 4 months or so after I last worked on it. I noticed things I hadn't noticed before, and learned plenty of new tricks along the way.

So this just happened. I am still partially in denial!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME, ZOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the novel I read a few years ago, right?

Great news. I'm truly happy for you. :D

(We need a Snoopy Happy Dance emote)

Really having trouble trying to flesh out secondary characters. They're all pretty one dimensional in my novel right now, a read more as plot-devices than characters. Any tips?

When I write secondary characters, I try to fashion out a life for them beyond the main story. Who are they? What do they want? Why are they in a position to interact with the main characters. It doesn't have to be needlessly complex, but if you understand your secondary characters, you can write them more realistically. Know who they are and why they're involved.

You don't have to put all of that on the page, or even any of it, but having an idea of where your characters are coming from will help you write them. Maybe you can drop a hint about who they are in their dialogue, or in their description.

Thank you, all. NB Starkess is a great CP. :). I'm now trying to focus on all the things I'll have to do in the next few months, which is interesting when drafting two other books at the same time...

Archived