Daenerys big secret

Himura

You dont need a greenhouse, artificial light, or anything remarkable to keep citrus alive in cold climates during the winter. Like I said before, I have a meyer lemon tree in my house in Brighton (in Boston, not england), it flowers and grows lemons year round without being in a greenhouse. It is just by a window.

I also have an orange tree that is in a large pot. I bring it inside my basement during the winter. Its about 60 degress down there during the winter, and the tree has survived for over 8 years. I bring it outside in the summer and it fruits. Its not rocket science, they are just houseplants.

Didn't Dany live in one of Lys or Myr early on? Don't have the books with me atm.

She moved around all over the Free Cities after Willem Darry died. That's why she yearns for the house with the red door, because her early childhood is the only time she had a home.

her living in Dorne

set foot in Westeros

Perhaps you should try arguing against things I actually wrote, instead of straw-man arguments.

I have a cactus in a pot next to me and somehow I don't live in the desert.

And we are so proud of you.

Is your contention that she grew up in another of the Free Cities, to the South? Is there any other evidence to suggest that, and if so, what does it do for the story?

Darry took the Targaryen kids into exile in Braavos, because it was the safest and most independent city to get to. If he brought them at a later time to living in Myr or Lys, or even Pentos, it wouldnt change the story much. We do know the Targ kids traveled around the free cities a bit from Viserys's words, but a real game changer would be if they were ever brought to Dorne. Which they almost certainly were not.

The climate is wrong. It's too cold to grow lemons in Braavos. I'd love to see a quote about how LEMON trees grow in the courts and gardens of the mighty. Can you find one? No?

How about this one (TWOW):

Seven hells, this place is damp, she heard her guard complain. Im chilled to the bones. Where are the bloody orange trees? I always heard there were orange trees in the Free Cities. Lemons and limes. Pomegranates. Hot peppers, warm nights, girls with bare bellies. Where are the bare-bellied girls, I ask you?

Down in Lys, and Myr, and Old Volantis, the other guard replied. He was an older man, big-bellied and grizzled. I went to Lys with Lord Tywin once, when he was Hand to Aerys. Braavos is north of Kings Landing, fool. Cant you read a bloody map?

Well, can you?

No one mentioned lemons... Dany didn't remember having lemonade or lemoncakes out of lemons from that tree. She remembers a tree, which is very reasonable to remember. And once again, Braavos is not one square where everyone who are in Braavos are placed. It is a city, you know. Also, your quote is even disputing your own claim. So, beside lemon trees, there are also no whores or belly-dancers in Braavos?

The entire thing is plainly ridiculous and it is laughable that with such evidence, like Sealord of Braavos signing marriage contract between Martells and Targaryens, or the fact that Doran never said "we hid Targs under their nose" to Arianne, this discussion is brought for 10 000th time? And worse, none of the believers have the slightest idea what to do with Dany in Dorne.

The Sea Lord have a garden.

The marriage pact between Arianne and Viserys was witnessed by the forner Sea Lord. That Sea Lord had apparently taken an interest in Westerosi politics. (Rich people do silly things like trying to get tropical trees to grow where they shouldn't. Early modern Europe is full of examples of kings and nobles planting exotic trees in their gardens. The lemon tree in Braavos is not weird.) The house with the Red Door was probably some kind of guest house the Sea Lord housed the Targ siblings and Darry in.

Then that Sea Lord dies, a new one is elected. One with no interest in getting involved in politcs in Westeros. Thus Viserys and Daenerys are evicted.

You dont need a greenhouse, artificial light, or anything remarkable to keep citrus alive in cold climates during the winter. Like I said before, I have a meyer lemon tree in my house in Brighton (in Boston, not england), it flowers and grows lemons year round without being in a greenhouse. It is just by a window.

I also have an orange tree that is in a large pot. I bring it inside my basement during the winter. Its about 60 degress down there during the winter, and the tree has survived for over 8 years. I bring it outside in the summer and it fruits. Its not rocket science, they are just houseplants.

Yep. I live in good old New England too and my mother asks me every year to bring in the Lemon tree/fig/30 other god damn plants.

Consider not just if its possible that a lemon tree could grow in Braavos, but if Martin was placing down clues. I dont necessarily think he did, but its worth considering.

Keep in mind its perfectly possible that Jon is Neds son, but anecdotes throughout the series suggest otherwise.

Im of the mind that the lemontree and the red door will have some kind of significance later.

The marriage pact between Arianne and Viserys was witnessed by the forner Sea Lord. That Sea Lord had apparently taken an interest in Westerosi politics. (The house with the Red Door was probably some kind of guest house the Sea Lord housed the Targ siblings and Darry in.

Then that Sea Lord dies, a new one is elected. One with no interest in getting involved in politcs in Westeros. Thus Viserys and Daenerys are evicted.

Or is murdered....at behest of an eunuch mummer and a Pentoshi cheesemonger.

The climate is wrong. It's too cold to grow lemons in Braavos. I'd love to see a quote about how LEMON trees grow in the courts and gardens of the mighty. Can you find one? No?

How about this one (TWOW):

Seven hells, this place is damp, she heard her guard complain. Im chilled to the bones. Where are the bloody orange trees? I always heard there were orange trees in the Free Cities. Lemons and limes. Pomegranates. Hot peppers, warm nights, girls with bare bellies. Where are the bare-bellied girls, I ask you?

Down in Lys, and Myr, and Old Volantis, the other guard replied. He was an older man, big-bellied and grizzled. I went to Lys with Lord Tywin once, when he was Hand to Aerys. Braavos is north of Kings Landing, fool. Cant you read a bloody map?

Well, can you?

Palm trees growing in Plockton, in the northern Scottish Highlands:

http://www.suwena.net/sites/default/files/images/P1090802g.jpg?itok=KlLUrdzb

Also, growing lemon trees in Scotland: http://www.heraldscotland.com/life-style/homes-interiorsgardens/yellow-fever-how-to-grow-a-lemon-tree.22689365

Can we also bear in mind that because of the weather patters it might not freeze (if it freezes in Braavos at all) for years and years at a time so you can grow pretty much anything anywhere given proper care. And if the house with Red Door is in, idk, Pentos, what difference would that make?

First question:

Why would be the purpose of Dany and Viserys being hiding in Dorne?

Answer:

To protect them.

Second question:

Why would they have needed to flee to the Free Cities after Darry died?

Answer:

Considering they remember the servants threw them away, they weren't as protected as they were meant to be. So, they were never well cared in first place.

So, again

Why would be the purpose of Dany and Viserys being hiding in Dorne?

Literature is not real life. Everything has a purpose and everything has an explanation.

Dany and Viserys were taken to the Free Cities because they were chased to get killed.

vs

Dany and Viserys were hiding in Dorne by some House loyal to the Martells but not loyal enough because they were told about it, and when Willen Darry died, they were evicted because no one was around, and were left to wander and be hunger in Essos, because they somehow managed to get a ship to the Free Cities by their own and no one realised.

Yeah....

I have a cactus in a pot next to me and somehow I don't live in the desert.

You 2 are making too much sense for this thread!

It's really laughable that people can't understand that a single tree can easily be grown outside its ideal climate. Yeah you couldn't grow an orchard of lemons in Bravos but having one tree in a garden would be simple.

I live in Canada, a friend of my has a small palm tree in his garden. He's able to keep it alive with some very basic gardening and protection in the winter. He doesn't need to build a greenhouse over his garden, the most complicated piece of equipment required is a few blankets.

My grandmother also kept a small Orange tree in a pot, according to some of the posters here I couldn't have grown up in Canada because I have childhood memories of an orange tree.

It's really laughable that people can't understand that a single tree can easily be grown outside its ideal climate. Yeah you couldn't grow an orchard of lemons in Bravos but having one tree in a garden would be simple.

I live in Canada, a friend of my has a small palm tree in his garden. He's able to keep it alive with some very basic gardening and protection in the winter. He doesn't need to build a greenhouse over his garden, the most complicated piece of equipment required is a few blankets.

My grandmother also kept a small Orange tree in a pot, according to some of the posters here I couldn't have grown up in Canada because I have childhood memories of an orange tree.

I don't think you are living in Canada.

Archived