Hobbit Movie discussion II - Here be Spoilers

The BlackBear

:lol:
Wait they're showing the extended edition in cinemas? Did they do that with LotR?

I don't recall them doing so, but this is the last chance to squeeze $$$ out of everyone, so they are going for it.

I'm trying to think what in those movies could lead to an R rating? Will there be full-frontal Dwarven nudity or something? 

I saw BOTFA once at the cinema. I'm mildly curious about the extended cut as I think it'll be the only Hobbit EE that actually adds somewhat interesting material. Still, the flaws of these pictures have been incredibly deep, and I don't have particularly high expectations that this will be satisfying. 

I still haven't seen the last Hobbit film and I'm quite pleased by that :) PJ won't get anymore money out of me for the bloated mess he delivered on this trilogy.

I'm trying to think what in those movies could lead to an R rating? Will there be full-frontal Dwarven nudity or something? 

I saw BOTFA once at the cinema. I'm mildly curious about the extended cut as I think it'll be the only Hobbit EE that actually adds somewhat interesting material. 

I'm definitely interested in the EE and that is because I have read the articles showing what will be in the 30 minutes of extra footage.

30 minutes is a lot, and what is in it seems excellent. The problem is that these are many of the things we expected to see in the regular theatrical cut. Not that the problem with the theatrical cut would be solved if these scenes had been included, but at least you wouldn't have missed crucial scenes as well as the mishandling of the other material. The 3rd film was the worst.

Anyway the R rating was unavoidable because the EE contains some orc killing sequences during the battle which had to be removed from the theatrical, otherwise the theatrical could not get the desired ratings. 

I still haven't seen the last Hobbit film and I'm quite pleased by that :) PJ won't get anymore money out of me for the bloated mess he delivered on this trilogy.

Ditto, desolation of smaug was terrible couldn't work up the motivation to see the third

Really you think the best thing you can do to these bloated behemoths is make them even longer? Don't get me wrong I was furious they removed important things from the book, but I can't see how they'll make the interminable drudgery any more bearable.

I will say this: watching the special features for the movies made me appreciate the movies more. Especially the dwarves. Just seeing the movies, they all ran together without any of their characters really standing out (aside from Thorin, Dwalin, and Balin. And the young princes, though I still don't remember which is Fili or Kili).

This is not really a defense, since a good movie should be able to stand on its own. Just an observation.

I still enjoy watching these movies and time they allow me to spending Middle Earth. They are certainly bloated, increasingly so across the 6 films, but I enjoy them non-the-less. Guilty pleasure.

Really you think the best thing you can do to these bloated behemoths is make them even longer? Don't get me wrong I was furious they removed important things from the book, but I can't see how they'll make the interminable drudgery any more bearable.

It's unlikely to make it watchable, but at least if Thorin's funeral etc are in there, then they will have improved somewhat. Every time someone mentions the Hobbit films I get angry and it's because stuff like that was cut out.

Its bizzare. They made a bloated trilogy out of a short children's book and in the process managed to cut out the everything that made the narrative endearing and make any kind of.sense. Its basically a 9 hour CGI orgy of nonesense.

I will say this: watching the special features for the movies made me appreciate the movies more. Especially the dwarves. Just seeing the movies, they all ran together without any of their characters really standing out (aside from Thorin, Dwalin, and Balin. And the young princes, though I still don't remember which is Fili or Kili).

This is not really a defense, since a good movie should be able to stand on its own. Just an observation.

I still enjoy watching these movies and time they allow me to spending Middle Earth. They are certainly bloated, increasingly so across the 6 films, but I enjoy them non-the-less. Guilty pleasure.

Lotro gives me.my nostalgic returns to Middle Earth. I'm going with BB and the others and going to do my best to pretend these were never made. :p

Oh, Veltigar... Like you need to give money to PJ in order to watch this :)

Its basically a 9 hour CGI orgy of nonesense.

I have never heard better description of Hobbit trilogy...

As a huge, huge, huge fan of LOTR extended versions (I mean, Gandalf v Angmar was so cool, then Saruman, Borromir in Two Towers, Mouth of Sauron :)), I am slightly amused by the prospect of this coming out, but only to actually see what should have been in this movie. And I heard that there is exploration of the Three in it, the news that literally led me straight to nerd-vana :)

Oh, Veltigar... Like you need to give money to PJ in order to watch this :)

Okay, you got me on that one :p but I was thinking about going to the theatre. I still haven't found a free way to do that :( Anyway, even if I got the Blu-Ray for free I would still not be inclined to watch the final part of PJ's rape of the Hobbit.

I actually had a bit more hope for The Hobbit films, especially since I really liked the Bag-End stuff in Unexpected Journey. Granted, the recreation of a mythological prologue was unnecessary, and the Fellowship scenes really didn't need to be there, or, at least, as long as they were. But the exchange between Bilbo and Gandalf was great. The Dwarves arriving was good fun. And Jackson was no longer just perfunctorily cutting between close ups of characters. There was more interesting staging and camera-work. 

And then they left the Shire, and the problems began. I've never really understood Jackson's need to show everything. I mean, why all the stuff with Azog? Why show Radagast running around in Mirkwood? Why cut away from Bilbo's tale - poor Bilbo is lost so many times that I want to pause the screen to see if I can find him. In his own picture. In the Hobbit. He is the Hobbit. Why, oh why, is he not the central focus? 

Admittedly, I really liked the slowness of that beginning as well, and how Jackson was giving us time to breathe it all in. One of the issues I had with the beginning of Fellowship, at least on reflection, is how we rush around so much. We're always stumbling into the next scene, the next chase, the next dramatic reveal. I really felt like Bree was a missed opportunity in that film - as well as the Hobbits conspiracy. 

If there is one over-arching criticism of the Hobbit films for me, it was how glaringly obvious the CGI was, compared to the LotR films.  I don't know if this is because of the filming in 3D or at a higher frame rate, but it was attention-grabhbibly distracting in the second set of films.

If there is one over-arching criticism of the Hobbit films for me, it was how glaringly obvious the CGI was, compared to the LotR films.  I don't know if this is because of the filming in 3D or at a higher frame rate, but it was attention-grabhbibly distracting in the second set of films.

Bingo... I don't even have that much problem with the story (with some proper editing, this could have been two great movies) but CBI was so overwhelmingly not-LOTR-type. It was always a bit too much.

Oddly, and yet how typical as this the last in a long line of disappointments, the extended edition now turns out to have only 20 more minutes.

Jackson confirmed multiple times that there would be 30, but has gone back on that.

It's a disappointment because so many scenes were missing, and undoubtedly he is not going to cut existing bullshit scenes in order to accommodate more of the deleted scenes people were actually waiting for.

Mmm. Eh, I don't know. I feel disappointed that even some of my favourite moments that were included, such as Flies and Spiders, were botched. Cutting down the ending of Battle so substantially felt like Jackson trying to answer his Return of the King critics, who said there were too many endings. Why he figures it made sense to remove half the resolution...I've no idea. I'd like to see Thorin's funeral, and Bilbo collecting his chest of gold. Whatever else they filmed, I don't know much about, though I suspect a good portion of these 20 minutes will be additional battle footage. 

Archived