Hobbit Movie discussion II - Here be Spoilers

The BlackBear

Corvinus,

I don't recall any discussion of the Dwarven war with the Orcs in The Hobbit. Can you please point out where that war is mentioned?

Yeah, I don't know. I could have sworn that stuff was mentioned in The Hobbit. I had re-read the book just about a month ago. All this information has become jumbled together in my brain.

I know there is a brief mention the war between the Dwarves and Orcs at the end of the first chapter, where Thorin foolishly says that they paid the goblins for what they did, and maybe they should do the same to the Necromancer (on account of hearing of his father's fate) to which Gandalf replies that the combined power of all the Dwarf armies would not bring the Necromancer down.

Recognisable isn't an issue, operable is. The hidden door to Moria is well hidden, but can be opened at any time by those in the know.

That wasn't a hidden door though. More of an easy back entrance for the elf society living close to there in the better times of the past. Before those same elves were tricked into forging the (3, 7 and 9) rings by Sauron.

I skipped over all the posts because I haven't seen it yet. Just wanted to see what the general consensus was... is it good?

I enjoyed the first 2, but wasn't crazy about either of them. Both of them could've easily had an hour or so trimmed off and would've been better movies, and they both rely on CGI too much. I miss the more practical effects of the LotR trilogy. I will say that Smaug looks pretty awesome though.

I skipped over all the posts because I haven't seen it yet. Just wanted to see what the general consensus was... is it good?

I enjoyed the first 2, but wasn't crazy about either of them. Both of them could've easily had an hour or so trimmed off and would've been better movies, and they both rely on CGI too much. I miss the more practical effects of the LotR trilogy. I will say that Smaug looks pretty awesome though.

I think whatever your opinions are of the first two films your opinion of the third will be similar.

I enjoyed the first two films until I started to think about them, and even now I think they were OK, if messy, films with moments of greatness (riddles in the dark, Smaug), but I really didn't like this third instalment while I was watching it. However this is probably the result of my bitterness with the trilogy working its way out of me now that I know it won't get any better, rather than just the quality of the third film.

If you just want to know the general consensus without specifics, then it's fair to say that the consensus is that most people were disappointed with this 3rd film, and that's putting it mildly.

I hope that extended edition will be better.some scenes ( ex. aftermath of battle, more Beorn ) probably will be there Someone knows when it will be available?

The last 5 extended editions have been released the November after the theatrical releases.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've seen this now, despite all my talk that I wouldn't. I had a cinema day on Sunday, so meh

The Dol Guldur rescue...that's the most laughable thing I've watched in a long time :rofl: :rofl: I liked the idea behind it, and I was happy Galadriel was the one to drive Sauron out, but :rofl: at her turning all swamp lady on him :rofl: I also don't get why she collapsed and seemed exhausted before that. I imagine someone will tell me it's because "Sauron's oppressive presence" or something, but Gandalf was walking there perfectly well without collapsing...as were Elrond and Saruman...

Ending was inconclusive. Thorin not buried, Thranduil never got his gems, no resolution for the Lake Town folk, yeah, basically what everyone has already said.

Beorn :headbang:

Yes, the film frustrated me. A lot. Even worse than I expected tbh, and I went in with low expectations anyway...oh well, at least it's over now. No more please PJ, no more.

I just really don't understand the appeal of these movies. I watched the first two on HBO go a few weekends ago and they are just completely charmless orgies of unengaging, cartoonish violence and soulless computer graphics.

Has there ever been a scene more spectacularly unnecessary and overdrawn than that fucking barrel scene?

I just really don't understand the appeal of these movies. I watched the first two on HBO go a few weekends ago and they are just completely charmless orgies of unengaging, cartoonish violence and soulless computer graphics.

Has there ever been a scene more spectacularly unnecessary and overdrawn than that fucking barrel scene?

In Battle of Five Armies Legolas flies on bat and walks on falling rocks ... legolas the air walker: http://youtu.be/Lf5PUkBsHPA

Well as I think we all expected at least one fan cut has appeared trimming down on the unnecessary fights, and cutting Dol Guldur entirely, trimming that Barrel sequence (and I believe excising Bombors bit in it) (though I'm not sure where they got DVD quality of film 3. :dunno: ) But as the extended edition hasn't been released yet we'll have to wait to see if we get a resolution to the Arkenstone, and Thorins burial.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived