Why Valdimir Putin is an absolutely fabulous Russian ruler!

Ser Scot A Ellison

He's a fantastic shark wrangler, and manages to have people murdered with much flair and charisma. Who in today's society can claim such? NONE.

Plus, I saw a photo of him riding a great eagle. He's just a very, very impressive psychopath.

I loathe Putin, obviously, but I can't help but somehow admire how good he is at what he does.

I mean, Russia would have fallen apart years ago if he hadn't taken over from Yeltsin. The fact that he's held it together by being a tyrant and psychopath is almost beside the point.

Sorry for the (relatively) serious reply, but I remember how happy we were in germany to see a shrewd and calculating leader in Russia instead of a drunkard. Fools, we were. :dunce:

A serious answer to this would take much more time than I have right now. Suffice it to say that he rose from almost nothing (his parents weren't even middle class, they were working class) to lead a huge country and maintained control over the latter for 15 years. In that time, he consolidated his control, made the oligarchs subservient to the government (i.e. himself) and played a substantial part in the huge GDP increase Russia went through during his tenure. On the other hand, he has also done a great deal of evil (much of it simply to remain in power), though if we consider all human lives to be equal rather than weighting Europeans to be more important, much less than, say, George W. Bush & Company. He's an interesting character and a much more competent leader than most of his Western counterparts.

Archived