Are people of moderate religious beliefs responsible for extremists?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Is it worth pointing out that the Jewish people were singled out in part because of their religion during WWII? It's just another example of how religion is used to divide on phony pre-text.

And the canards of Southern France were singled out for... Absolutely no reason that we can detect. (It's a fairy interesting case actually)

Is it worth pointing out that the Jewish people were singled out in part because of their religion during WWII? It's just another example of how religion is used to divide on phony pre-text.

Galactus,

Are you sure you aren't a blindfolded man groping at parts of an elephant?

Not following your logic at all here. Because Hitler targeted Jews their religion is at fault? Just because someone targets people on religious grounds doesn't make religion at fault - the fault lies with the person making that distinction. It's no different than a racist targeting a certain ethnic group. Their ethnicity is not to blame/at fault here, it's the person targeting them.

And no, I am not religious either.

Plus, of course, the whole Nazi ideology of this was based on the ideas that the Jews were a RACE, not a religion. Converting to Christianity (or anything else) did not save one from the Nazis if one had been born ethnically Jewish.

And the [Cargots] of Southern France were singled out for... Absolutely no reason that we can detect. (It's a fairy interesting case actually)

Ha, that's fucking crazy. Never knew about that.

Extremism is relative, of course. Anyone promoting universal male suffrage in the Britain of 1832 was considered a dangerous radical. Anyone promoting universal female suffrage in 1832 would be considered an out and out lunatic.

I think our question here really boils down to collective punishment - the idea that a group is at fault for the actions of an individual. I would like to think we've moved beyond that.

No... What I'm saying is that we have enough bullshit divisions that we throw up, class, race, sexual preference. It seems silly to me as an atheist to use religion as another way to divide us.

you've been basically arguing that the world would be a much better place without abusive assholes, those who refuse to critically examine their beliefs, and those who are satisfied with leaving certain things up to faith. And for some reason you've decided that these traits apply most overwhelmingly to anyone who isn't atheist. There's something beautiful about this.

No... What I'm saying is that we have enough bullshit divisions that we throw up, class, race, sexual preference. It seems silly to me as an atheist to use religion as another way to divide us.

So you'd rather use flawed logic and caustic interaction as a divider? Do you not like the competition? Because the way you fucking act seems to be a shit ton more divisive than any type of divider you listed above.

Jonny boy,

As someone who thinks Sri Lanka is a muslim nation and Swastika is a Christian symbol, I think it's clear who amoungst us needs to read more History.

Also, victims of honour killings, female foeticide, and caste discrimination would like to have a word with you.

Finally, Society is a human construct. See, the strange thing about your post (in the abuse thread) was you were just agreeing with what I had said in earlier posts, so I fail to understand what we're arguing about. Also I'm not butthurt man, I'm having a rather enjoyable time reading your enlightened views. Do tell us your views on nationalism and patriotism as well

I don't believe moderates are responsible for extremists.

Thats certainly refreshing to hear. I don't know if you were around for it, but there were some posters a few weeks back in the Charlie Hebdo threads that felt that moderate Muslims should bear some responsibility for the terrorist acts of Muslim extremists. Shocking, I know.

Archived