Small Questions v. 10096

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I would think the formal wardship would end at manhood, 16. But in the ideal peaceful situation, the warden would be like a second father and/or mother.

This is confirmed in an SSM:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Some_Questions/

How did Ned manage to become such a paragon Northener and a close friend of Lyanna's if he spent his time in the Vale from age 8 to 18? Or did he return home at some point(when?) and was just visiting Jon Arryn prior to and after the tourney at Harrenhal?

He was fostered, not exiled. Yes, certainly he returned home. Less frequently the first few years, when he would have been performing the duties of a page and then a squire, more often and for longer periods later. During his "squire" years (he wasn't a squire in the strict sense, since he wasn't training for knighthood, but he was acting as one), he would also have accompanied Jon Arryn on many travels out of the Vale. And once he reached the age of sixteen he was a man grown, free to come to go as he liked... which would have included both time at home and in the Vale, since Jon Arryn had become a second father. The same was true of Robert, who divided his time between Storm's End and the Vale after reaching manhood, not to mention dropping in on tourneys and whatever choice fights he could find.

Are we meant to question what took place at Summerhall? We've read 3 Dunk and Egg tales. Are there any examples of either Dunk or Egg doing or saying something that would suggest they would try to hatch a dragon's egg and end up burning down Summerhall, killing themselves and many others in the process?

I would think the formal wardship would end at manhood, 16. But in the ideal peaceful situation, the warden would be like a second father and/or mother. Theon was a hostage, whom Ned raised as a ward. He remained a hostage after reaching majority.

cheers guys. that has made me think a bit, I just wasn't making the distinction between the two, thinking that all wards were taken as a sort of hostage. In my head theon was just like all the other "wards" we see in the book, but he kept telling himself he was a "hostage". but really he was a hostage, treated well(slash)like a ward. I need to stop reading all the stupid theories on here and concentrate on re reading the books.

Is House Marsh a crannog House? Can't find any info on the wikia, and considering the Marsh King...

Could be. Their arms are ten green frogs, displayed 4-3-2-1. And crannogmen are called frogeaters..

Are we meant to question what took place at Summerhall? We've read 3 Dunk and Egg tales. Are there any examples of either Dunk or Egg doing or saying something that would suggest they would try to hatch a dragon's egg and end up burning down Summerhall, killing themselves and many others in the process?

How can you question something when you have no clue what happened? Westeros has no exact clue as to what happened. That everyone died was surely an accident, that is clear. But there are a few:

"Someday the dragons will return. My brother Daeron dreamed about it, and King Aerys read it in a prophecy. Maybe it will be my egg that hatches. That would be splendid!"

"Would it?" Dunk had his doubts.

Not Egg.

And TWOIAF shows us that Aegon V had come to dream of dragons later in life, and that he believed that the proud and stubborn lords of the realm could be forced to accept the Kong's decrees, if only he had dragons. Which lead to years of searching for Valyrian lore on dragonbreeding, which led to Summerhall, where Aegon had gaheted seven eggs.

As Summerhall is the end of Aegon V, naturally, whatever exactly happened there will remain a secret until the D&E novella's reach that moment in time.

House Marsh is from the North, and the Neck seems to be only big marsh in this region.

Their coat-of-arms also is conected to the Neck.

Also, they have typical First Men surname with meaning ( like Forresters, Tallharts, Flints, Bogs, Glovers, Reeds, Fenns , Blackwoods, Greenwoods, Hornwoods).

It is never openly stated in the books. And we don't get a clean description of Bowen Marsh's appearance. We don't know if he is small, save for him having a "reddish hue". Weird tho, as I reckon not all crannongmen must be necessarily loyal to anything Stark, that it was Bowen, pressumabily a crannogmen, the one who might have killed Jon, who is connected to the Stark

Do we know anything about number of population of Winter Town near Winterfell?

Usually it is empty, until winter comes and people move there. One in 5 houses are occupied during Summer. There is an inn and a market, so stuff goes on there, but not much. I wouldn't say more then 1000 in summer. A battle occours there and not much happens.

Usually it is empty, until winter comes and people move there. One in 5 houses are occupied during Summer. There is an inn and a market, so stuff goes on there, but not much. I wouldn't say more then 1000 in summer. A battle occours there and not much happens.

Thanks.

Was it the birth of the dragons? George revises his writing a thousand times (at least he says so), so I think it was intended. For what purpose though? I have no idea.

It's not that one the one mentioned, but yes, that can work too. Authors can switch perspectives, I suppose. Either a mistake or not, I remember JKR doing it too. Something like "in the years to come, Harry didn't remember that dream", despite the books are 90% Harry's pov only.

Are there any interactions between Sansa and Margaery in ASOS which occur 1) after Tyrells learning of Sansa's betrothal to Tyrion and 2) before Purple Wedding ? I'm really interested in this, but I don't have books nearby to check.

We don't see when Tyrells learn of Sansa's betrothal to Tyrion. All we see is Tyrion getting the order to marry Sansa and Sansa being forcibly wed to Tyrion. None of the Tyrells attend the wedding, even Loras of the KG. At the wedding feast, Margaery gives Sansa 'a sad look' but Olenna, and the Tyrell cousins avoid her altogether. Garlan consoles Sansa during the dance, and Olenna talk to her during Purple Wedding. That is the only interactions Sansa have with any Tyrells after her marriage.

Archived