3 Muslims murdered in North Carolina. Hate crime?

Crixus

http://jezebel.com/white-man-murders-three-muslim-students-in-chapel-hill-1685166123

The police are not sure on the motive yet.

It seems I may have been wrong on the number of fatalities in the header. The article says 3 students were killed. Apologies.

If they're not sure of the motive, how can we speculate on whether it's a hate crime or not?

You decide yourself what your role in the information society is. You can be a source of trusted information, or you can be a force multiplier for unsubstantiated allegations, rumours, sensationalism, speculation, and half-truths. I suggest you edit your headline to something that you *know*.

If they're not sure of the motive, how can we speculate on whether it's a hate crime or not?

[pedantry]

We can speculate on anything we want since speculation by definition is forming a theory without evidence, what we can't do is infer that it's a hate crime.

[/pedantry]

[pedantry]

We can speculate on anything we want since speculation by definition is forming a theory without evidence, what we can't do is infer that it's a hate crime.

[/pedantry]

I stand corrected.

Why not change the thread title to: 3 killed in parking dispute, serial killer?

or: 3 killed at UNC, pressure to succeed in college too much?

or: OP is a speculative poster who likes to incite racial division

Al Sharpton, is that you?

Why not change the thread title to: 3 killed in parking dispute, serial killer?

*cough*

...posts from a Facebook page believed to belong to Hicks have been widely shared online, sparking speculation that the deaths were motivated by a Muslim bias.

The owner of this page frequently posted anti-religious messages. He is a member of groups including "Friends of Freedom From Religion Foundation" and "Atheism on Youtube." There are also multiple posts directly referring to Muslims, and a picture of a revolver on a weight scale with the comment, "Yes, that is 1 pound 5.1 ounces for my loaded 38 revolver, its holster, and five extra rounds."..

In one post, the page's author wrote, "When it comes to insults, your religion started this, not me. If your religion kept its big mouth shut, so would I."

Also racial division? You're posts are frequently ugly and uninformed but does it really need to be pointed out that Muslims are not a race.

or: 3 killed at UNC, pressure to succeed in college too much?

Errmm did the killer go to UNC?

What would you say is a fitting punishment for the act of contributing to the subjugation of minorities through threat of violence?

It's irrelevant. Violence and the threat thereof should be punished. the politics of the perpetrator shouldn't matter as far as punishment is concerned

It's irrelevant. Violence and the threat thereof should be punished. the politics of the perpetrator shouldn't matter as far as punishment is concerned

I feel like you've contradicted yourself here. You say that threats of violence should be punished, and yet the threatening aspect of politically motivated crimes should be irrelevant in determining punishment. Could you clarify?

Archived