Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 3: Not Dead After All

felice

Just read Civil War in preparation for Cap 3. I'll spoiler tag it just in case anyone wants to read it but hasn't....

I was looking out for stuff they could use in Cap 3, but it occurs to me they already took quite a bit for Winter Soldier: Cap's at S.H.I.E.L.D, has a conversation that leads them to think they can't trust him, they try and take him down, he escapes through a window, takes out a plane on his way out, goes underground with Nick Fury........it's hard to see what else they can really take from the comic with only Cap and Tony Stark appearing, who do they have to line up behind them? Probably none of the rest of the Avengers as then it might as well be an Avengers film. You can't really have Spiderman going public about his identity when it's his first appearance in this universe. Surprisingly, I could picture then using the New Warriors as an intro to this cos we don't really need to know who they are. Seems plausible in the MCU that there'd be unqualified copycats, and possibly a Jersey Shore style it's-not-scripted-honest style reality show about them. Maybe that could trigger the registration, but then Spiderman emerges as a new but clearly qualified hero that makes Cap think it's all a bad idea.

I wonder where S.H.I.E.L.D will be by this time? It's hard to imagine the government would trust them with running the registrations as per the comic by then after the events of Winter Soldier, which is a shame as it'd make for a great arc for Season 3 of AoS running up to the film, mopping up your lesser heroes and encouraging registration (which was pretty much their function before anyway, identifying threats and getting them on side).

Just read Civil War in preparation for Cap 3. I'll spoiler tag it just in case anyone wants to read it but hasn't....

I was looking out for stuff they could use in Cap 3, but it occurs to me they already took quite a bit for Winter Soldier: Cap's at S.H.I.E.L.D, has a conversation that leads them to think they can't trust him, they try and take him down, he escapes through a window, takes out a plane on his way out, goes underground with Nick Fury........it's hard to see what else they can really take from the comic with only Cap and Tony Stark appearing, who do they have to line up behind them? Probably none of the rest of the Avengers as then it might as well be an Avengers film. You can't really have Spiderman going public about his identity when it's his first appearance in this universe. Surprisingly, I could picture then using the New Warriors as an intro to this cos we don't really need to know who they are. Seems plausible in the MCU that there'd be unqualified copycats, and possibly a Jersey Shore style it's-not-scripted-honest style reality show about them. Maybe that could trigger the registration, but then Spiderman emerges as a new but clearly qualified hero that makes Cap think it's all a bad idea.

I wonder where S.H.I.E.L.D will be by this time? It's hard to imagine the government would trust them with running the registrations as per the comic by then after the events of Winter Soldier, which is a shame as it'd make for a great arc for Season 3 of AoS running up to the film, mopping up your lesser heroes and encouraging registration (which was pretty much their function before anyway, identifying threats and getting them on side).

So far for Civil War we know they're including Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Falcon, Winter Soldier and Black Panther. Oh and Crossbones but while Winter Soldier might become a hero I think it's safe to say Crossbones will remain a villain, along with whoever the sniper guy from Inglourious Basterds is playing.

It's also pretty much a given that Spider Man will be there, since they said he would appear in the MCU before his solo film. I'd love to see Banner in there too, they said at one point that he'd be appearing in non-avengers phase three films.

Also, I just realized Agents of Shield will be between seasons will Agents of Shield be between seasons when Age of Ultron comes out? I was wondering how they were gonna pull off that tie in, maybe it's better that they don't try.

will Agents of Shield be between seasons when Age of Ultron comes out? I was wondering how they were gonna pull off that tie in, maybe it's better that they don't try.

They'll be in the middle of the second half of season 2; I think it's most likely that the rest of the season will take place chronologically before the events of Ultron, even if some of it airs after the movie comes out.

So there's been some talk about it before, but now it seems as though there is a really good chance that Spiderman will not be white - Even if he's still Peter Parker: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=115648

Unless they are going with a different ethnicity all together it'd make more sense to go ahead and use Miles Morales if they want a black hispanic character at least. I'd be really surprised if they go with a non-parker spidey initially although using Miles could be a good way to get a clean break initially.

Dan Slott (current spider-man comic writer) has been making a good argument for saying Spidey should be any ethnicity at all. Even Stan Lee admits in hindsight the decision to have spidey wear a full mask was genius in the sense it meat anybody could be Spidey.

So there's been some talk about it before, but now it seems as though there is a really good chance that Spiderman will not be white - Even if he's still Peter Parker: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=115648

I feel a great disturbance in the force... as if millions of nerds suddenly began pounding on their keyboards in rage.

I feel a great disturbance in the force... as if millions of nerds suddenly began pounding on their keyboards in rage.

Only the racist ones. Good. Fuck them. They should make Spiderman gay too. And a Jew.

Unless they are going with a different ethnicity all together it'd make more sense to go ahead and use Miles Morales if they want a black hispanic character at least. I'd be really surprised if they go with a non-parker spidey initially although using Miles could be a good way to get a clean break initially.

Dan Slott (current spider-man comic writer) has been making a good argument for saying Spidey should be any ethnicity at all. Even Stan Lee admits in hindsight the decision to have spidey wear a full mask was genius in the sense it meat anybody could be Spidey.

The thing is Miles isn't just black spiderman - he has his own arc where he takes up the mantle from an older and more experienced Peter. If you don't have that arc, and he's the original Spiderman you may as well call him Peter even if he's black. Especially as that will smooth things over for the mainstream audiences who won't know who Miles Morales is. Morales deserves to be his own character with his own arc, regardless of what ethnicity they cast for him and/or for Peter. They could have a black Peter Parker and later a white or latino Miles Morales.

Fixed that for you. For maximum nerdrage.

Well then why not a transgender gay Muslim with a Christian boyfriend AND a Jewish girlfriend?

I thought the official PR confirmed it was Peter Parker jumping into the MCU. Personally I don't care about PP being a different ethnicity any more than I care about the prospect (hope) of Idris Alba being the next James Bond. But I'm not really looking forward to the nerdrage that will come with a change in ethnicity. It does make better sense to go with someone other than PP if the ethnicity is going to be changed up, that way the nerdrage gets dampened down. If Spidey's cameo in Cap 3 is fairly minor, and he's shown to be a different person then that can get people interested in seeing the solo spidey movie if it's going to be all about the transition. Problem is this makes Spidey a prequel to Cap 3, and I winder if that's how they want to play with the timelines. I think a prequel in this case might be OK. If they did that then I think Andrew Garfield should reprise his role as PP and then PP exits stage left never to be seen again in the MCU.

The thing is Miles isn't just black spiderman - he has his own arc where he takes up the mantle from an older and more experienced Peter. If you don't have that arc, and he's the original Spiderman you may as well call him Peter even if he's black. Especially as that will smooth things over for the mainstream audiences who won't know who Miles Morales is. Morales deserves to be his own character with his own arc, regardless of what ethnicity they cast for him and/or for Peter. They could have a black Peter Parker and later a white or latino Miles Morales.

Totally with you on that too. I read a fun suggestion that Parker should be Tobey Macguire. At first I laughed but in the Civil War comic it was a Spidey in his early thirties who revealed himself to the public (there's no point spoilering that as it was all over the news several years ago). They could maybe sideline Peter and you could then have Miles take over and keep his rising to the challenge story. It'll never happen as they'd be stuck with an old Peter Parker then - although all of Marvel's leads have been 30+ something males (oh, and white).

Or what Targ says and have Garfiled play parker and then get replaced. The one thing about the amazing spidey films is that they went out of their way to make it fit in with the MCU style. Most movie-goers would completely accept it (sony would love it) but I doubt Marvel wants to be lumbered with some of the ideas set up in those films regarding characters.

Totally with you on that too. I read a fun suggestion that Parker should be Tobey Macguire. At first I laughed but in the Civil War comic it was a Spidey in his early thirties who revealed himself to the public (there's no point spoilering that as it was all over the news several years ago). They could maybe sideline Peter and you could then have Miles take over and keep his rising to the challenge story. It'll never happen as they'd be stuck with an old Peter Parker then - although all of Marvel's leads have been 30+ something males (oh, and white).

Or what Targ says and have Garfiled play parker and then get replaced. The one thing about the amazing spidey films is that they went out of their way to make it fit in with the MCU style. Most movie-goers would completely accept it (sony would love it) but I doubt Marvel wants to be lumbered with some of the ideas set up in those films regarding characters.

It would take a lot of set up though - Spidey joined Civil War late so it's too late to write him in a very large role. We may not even see him without the mask, I imagine it will be more of a Quicksilver from DoFP deal. One Scene Wonder. And I'd rather they kept things separate from the previous incarnations. Really a black Peter is just perfect. It really distinguishes the MCU's Spiderman from the ASM movies, and it makes a very powerful statement - this is our most iconic character, he's going to be a pillar of the MCU going forwards. And he's not white. That would be a historic moment that would go far beyond just some nerdy movies.

They should bring in Macguire or Garfield, have him take off his mask, and then get killed by extremists, leaving his young protege Miles to step in.

I know it'll never happen (or work continuity wise, really), but it'd let them have their cake and eat it too.

Well apparently the tweets from Schneider (the guy who leaked the rumour) are deleted, and yesterday he was unhappy about people discussing it. So it may or may not be true. I hope it's true though. An asian Spiderman would be nice, as there are barely any asian characters in the MCU.

I think if they did want to go ethnic for Spiderman, Ryan Potter would be a good choice. He played Hiro in Big Hero 6. So he's already got ties with Marvel/Disney, and he has experience playing a young, science-savy superhero. Plus the new Spiderman film is bound to have a healthy dollop of comedy, so starring in a Disney animated film puts him in good stead for that. He also knows martial arts, which is good for stunts, and has expressed interest in the role recently.

I think if they did want to go ethnic for Spiderman, Ryan Potter would be a good choice. He played Hiro in Big Hero 6. So he's already got ties with Marvel/Disney, and he has experience playing a young, science-savy superhero. Plus the new Spiderman film is bound to have a healthy dollop of comedy, so starring in a Disney animated film puts him in good stead for that. He also knows martial arts, which is good for stunts, and has expressed interest in the role recently.

Never heard of the guy but seems like a potentially great choice. It would also appeal to the japanese markets (if not necessarily the chinese one). If Disney is being super cynical having an asian character probably opens up more box office revenue potential than having a black spider-man.Unless it was Miles Morales.

Archived