Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 3: Not Dead After All

felice

Besides the Doctor Strange appearance (I'd hope it was just a cameo) this all sounds sensible and more promising than what was being planned for Spidey. I never had much hopes for the S6 if it was without Spidey - especially given the set up from the ASM films. If they were to do a "superior foes of Spider-man" TV show, I'd be all over it though. That would make a great super-companion to netflix's "orange is the new black".

A prison dramedy would be pretty awesome. With Trevor Slattery and Justin Hammer as well. Get on it Marvel.

As for the Doctor Strange thing - my speculation it may be that Civil War's script is too late in development for anything more than a cameo. They want a large Spidey role prior to his solo movie, so they're giving him a largeish role in Doctor Strange, possibly with Mysterio.

I'm not sure about how I feel about them setting up the S6 so quickly. Hopefully it's more just a cameo thing at the end of the first film and each member will get some focus. And I'd like to see them mostly separate from the GG so he can go on to play a larger villain role to the whole MCU. A good S6 lineup would be Dr. Octopus, Shocker, Mysterio, Kraven, Vulture and Scorpion.

A prison dramedy would be pretty awesome. With Trevor Slattery and Justin Hammer as well. Get on it Marvel.

As for the Doctor Strange thing - my speculation it may be that Civil War's script is too late in development for anything more than a cameo. They want a large Spidey role prior to his solo movie, so they're giving him a largeish role in Doctor Strange, possibly with Mysterio.

I'm not sure about how I feel about them setting up the S6 so quickly. Hopefully it's more just a cameo thing at the end of the first film and each member will get some focus. And I'd like to see them mostly separate from the GG so he can go on to play a larger villain role to the whole MCU. A good S6 lineup would be Dr. Octopus, Shocker, Mysterio, Kraven, Vulture and Scorpion.

They don't even need to be in prison - they could just be putting together schemes and stuff.

I think they need to be careful with Spidey in a Dr Strange film though as I suspect it will make Strange a supporting character in his own film. Not the best way to launch a new character franchise. Having Stark in CIvil War is different in the sense both characters are now established with their own films - although it does sound like it should just be called "civil war" and drop the "captain america" partner if the levels of Stark's involvement are true,

They don't even need to be in prison - they could just be putting together schemes and stuff.

I think they need to be careful with Spidey in a Dr Strange film though as I suspect it will make Strange a supporting character in his own film. Not the best way to launch a new character franchise. Having Stark in CIvil War is different in the sense both characters are now established with their own films - although it does sound like it should just be called "civil war" and drop the "captain america" partner if the levels of Stark's involvement are true,

It is a risk, but I trust Marvel knows what they're doing in that respect. It shouldn't be a huge role, maybe Black Widow in Iron Man 2 levels. And Cumberbatch has the gravitas to make sure that doesn't happen.

Some casting suggestions for the S6.

Doctor Octopus could be Brian Cox? You need a tubby, older guy who can play good villains. That's pretty much Brian Cox in a nutshell. I think Philip Seymour Hoffman could have done a good job as well.

Charles Dance as the Vulture. He's got the perfect look, and does cold calculated villainy just perfect.

Javier Bardem as Mysterio. He can do weird

Micheal Mando as Shocker. Somewhat lesser known. He was in Orphan Black, is in Better Call Saul and played the villain in Far Cry 3. Does a good job playing street toughs.

Karl Urban as Kraven. I think Urban needs more love he's pretty awesome.

Jessica Chastain as Scorpia? Maybe? I've only seen her in the help, I'm really not overly familiar with her or her talents but I know she's expressed a lot of interest playing a superhero/villain. She seems to be on the radar in the Marvel fanbase.

The latest Spiderman rumours: Drew Goddard to direct, Spiderman to appear in Civil War and Doctor Strange before appearing in his solo debut. The first film will feature Spidey "trying out" for the Avengers and will culminate in the formation of the Sinister Six. So the S6 may no longer be a spinoff, but a Spiderman film with an ensemble villain cast: http://badassdigest.com/2015/03/02/drew-goddard-to-write-direct-marvels-new-spider-man/?utm_content=buffer69598&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I wonder what they mean by "going up against Iron Man" in his efforts to join the Avengers. Is Iron Man just gonna be a dick from Civil War onward?

I wonder what they mean by "going up against Iron Man" in his efforts to join the Avengers. Is Iron Man just gonna be a dick from Civil War onward?

Maybe. It's confusing. Some rumours are talking about Iron Man giving him a suit (maybe the Iron Spider Suit), then there's this talk about him going up against Stark. It may just be that Spidey is looking to join the Avengers and Tony isn't sure if he's good enough.

@RumHam.

Depends on how you viewed the Civil War storyline in the comics. Iron Man was either right or an utter dick. If the MCU is taking the same approach - and it looks like it is, obviously sans quite a few of the key players though - viewers opinions on IM will likely end up as divided.

@RumHam.

Depends on how you viewed the Civil War storyline in the comics. Iron Man was either right or an utter dick. If the MCU is taking the same approach - and it looks like it is, obviously sans quite a few of the key players though - viewers opinions on IM will likely end up as divided.

Actually he was both. They'd been making Stark more and more of a prick as time went on, Illuminati, That Negative Zone prison, Ragnarok, teaming up with villains. Tony is absolutely in the right in Civil War, but they needed to make him seem wrong so that they could make it last more issues.

@ The BlackBear.

You're right. They needed a villain & seemed dead set on making it Stark. Obviously, their plan wasn't entirely successful since pretty much half the fan base thought Stark was in the right.

Actually he was both. They'd been making Stark more and more of a prick as time went on, Illuminati, That Negative Zone prison, Ragnarok, teaming up with villains. Tony is absolutely in the right in Civil War, but they needed to make him seem wrong so that they could make it last more issues.

Yeah, agreed. The problem with Civil War was that the only way to make the conflict continue was to make everyone act deliberately unreasonable, Tony most of all, because the actual moral issue in question was so one-sided.

The MCU is seriously lacking for supervillains. Sure before the avengers, but after there should really be more. Films tend to kill them off, whereas is comics they generally get away, or escape later.

This is why I'm in the camp that is most dismayed that FF isn't part of the MCU because I want Dr. Doom part of it.

edit typo

This is why I'm in the camp that is most dismayed that FF isn't part of the MCU because I want Dr. Doom part of it.

Not to mention Galactus, Skrulls, Annhilus, Mad Thinker, Wizard, Red Ghost.

And to a lesser degree Silver Surfer, who could potentially be an addition to the cosmic world (Guardians, Planet Hulk (if they choose to do that.)

Not to mention Galactus, Skrulls, Annhilus, Mad Thinker, Wizard, Red Ghost.

And to a lesser degree Silver Surfer, who could potentially be an addition to the cosmic world (Guardians, Planet Hulk (if they choose to do that.)

Agree wholeheartedly. But Dr. Doom I'd be most :drool: about.

Besides the Doctor Strange appearance (I'd hope it was just a cameo)

Probably just a cameo, and Civil War really is a great opportunity to introduce him: just show all the heroes being hunted and then have someone barely keeping their shit together meeting with Strange while he's levitating or doing some voodoo crap and saying "Y-y-ou got immm--munity, sir" or something like this, to make the viewers unfamiliar with him wondering who's this guy and how powerful he can be that he gets complete immunity.

I think there's a good chance that the F4 reboot could flop and the rights will revert back to Marvel. And a late phase 4 movie would mean a nice few years between the 2017 film and any Marvel reboot.

edit typo

Is there some reason why you need the FF crew in order to bring FF villains into the MCU? I mean a reason other than nerdrage of course.

Archived