What will you stand in line for?

litechick

I avoid crowded restaurants, abhor the sort of nightclubs which have lines of people waiting to be judged on whether they are cool enough to enter, and would never wait in the cold to get a new X-Box or Krispy Kreme doughnut.

However, I have waited long periods of time to enter a general admission concert, ride a roller coaster, and on more than one occasion I did attend a midnight release party for a Harry Potter book.

How about you? What is worth the wait? When is the wait part of the celebration? What do you think is really stupid to stand in line for?

during bike week i stand (by that i mean sit on my bike) to wait to putt down main street...

...during mardi gras one year i stood in line just to guard the sans-door toilet for my number one niece...

...i used to have to stand in line to get chow but then i retired from the Navy and began to cook for myself...

...i would gladly stand in line to dance with X-Ray to this song...

:smoking:

I guess nothing, I can't remember the last time I voluntarily stood in a line.

I saw this prank show or something once where three dudes just stood in the street and formed a line to nothing.

In about an hour the line had over 100 people in it.

ok i don't care what anyone says that is just funny...

i saw a line at carolinacon that stretched around the block with more than 500 people when only 100 were going to be admitted...made me wonder if the ones at the end just couldn't count or thought the others in front of them would suddenly drop dead from excitement...

Beer, liquor, pizza, chinese food, sex, grapes, shoes, music, knives, CD's, William Shatner, a rollercoaster, dancing bears, swords, ancient pagan altars, dancing bears with swords.

I guess the better question is, what won't I stand in line for? Oh yeah, naked William Shatner. I probably wouldn't queue for that. Probably.

Beer, liquor, pizza, chinese food, sex, grapes, shoes, music, knives, CD's, William Shatner, a rollercoaster, dancing bears, swords, ancient pagan altars, dancing bears with swords.

I guess the better question is, what won't I stand in line for? Oh yeah, naked William Shatner. I probably wouldn't queue for that. Probably.

fixed that for ya...

Government services - there's always a line for those. And since there's no alternative, you have to wait. Thankfully nowadays they have the number system and often you can even get a place to sit, but it's still "a line". Airport security checks are the other place where one cannot avoid the lines.

So ye, fuck the government and airport security :).

Ice-cream. I will stand around all day for good mint chocolate ice cream.

I'll stand in line for anything I'm into or really need, books, video games, albums ( but who really does those anymore). The one I can distinctly remember being in line at about 5am for the 5th harry potter book.

Edit: Dancing bears with swords will probably get me in line as well.

If forced at some office when one has to get something offical. Or before a bathroom.

And I would (and used to sometimes) line up at museums or Art galleries for special exhibitions. I waited two hours or more at the Uffizi in Florence 25 years ago. But I hate it and skipped some I had wanted to see. Usually people don't give a damn about art and culture but for some exhibitions EVERYONE wants to go.

I'm British, so I'm used to waiting in queues and only grumbling a little bit about it. I struggle to stand for any period of time, so long queues can be awful for me, but they're usually unavoidable.

I'll usually avoid long queues if I'm not too fussed about whatever's on offer, but if it's an event I'm keen for, good food, or to use the toilet, I'll wait patiently.

Not much. I really don't like crowds and I spend so much of my life commuting that lines don't work for me. Some places that I would/do wait in line:

• The airport because i don't have a choice.
  • The Chipotle near my office always has a line but it moves quick and i really like me a burrito bowl
  • Amusement Parks - although when we go the WDW I have it down so we don't have to wait in many lines because of fast pass and because we get to the parks at opening.
  • Renewing my license (no choice)
  • Port-a-potties at road races and triathlons, no choice with this one.
  • School events - no choice on this one and it happens more frequently now that the kids are in Middle School and will be heading to HS soon.

Places that i wont wait in line that most people do:

• Groceries - My wife handles this but if i have to go I get there at 7am
  • Sporting events - I don't go to these anymore, can't handle the crowds
  • Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts - if there is a crowd I just go to the next one or make my own.
  • Black Friday/Apple product releases/movie premieres/Video game releases - people who do this are crazy, i could not imagine ever waiting for any of these things.

I'd go to a launch if it was for something cool, like a book I've been waiting for, and if they put on a show - the author signing, freebies, etc. My SO has been to a few game launches at a local store, but he gets there at a decent time and the queues have never been that long.

Archived