Star Wars Novels/Graphic Novels

Magnar of Skagos

Guys, please keep us posted on whether or not the TFA novel adds some more background info that you wouldn't get from the film, or if it has any additional scenes ( and if so, which scenes).

Here's a few that I've gotten to so far (TFA spoilers). It's a pretty good read tbh.

There's a little bit of extra dialogue (Snoke plants the seed for Kylo killing Han by wondering what would have happened if Vader had killed Luke) and some description of SKB when Kylo Ren and Hux first speak with Snoke's hologram. A scene where a report of the First Order assault of the village on Jakku is received by the Resistance on D'Qar and given to Leia, who then asks C-3PO to activate the tracker on BB-8. He forgot to do it and then talks to R2-D2 in shut down mode about what to do. Finally, we get Poe waking up on Jakku. He gets picked up by a scavenger and they have a run in with some gang. Poe makes the escape and the chapter ends with him being taken to a place where he should be able to get off planet.

I'm at the start of the chapter where the Falcon is at Takodana. I'll post more as I come across it.

Guys, please keep us posted on whether or not the TFA novel adds some more background info that you wouldn't get from the film, or if it has any additional scenes ( and if so, which scenes).

I'm reading it now.  I skimmed it last night when I first got it to check out the scenes I was most interested in and not much if anything new was added to those.  For example, the last scene of the movie - nothing really added, in fact it's shorter than it plays out in the movie.  In the scene where Rey has flashbacks/sees the past...I can't say anything new is added but to the extent I can't freeze frame the movie yet to see the individual pieces, it does spell out a little more clearly what the scenes are she is seeing.  Nothing that gives any concrete answers, however.  Basically I think it clarifies some things you see in the movie - i.e. what is the name of the old man at the beginning of the movie - but nothing of much importance.

This is by far my favorite sentence in the book so far...

Alone in the room, Kylo Ren - saturnine of aspect, lithe of build, tortured of mien, and troubled of eye - gazed at the silent recipient of his confession.

:rolleyes:

Also from article above was a link to the differences between ANH and its novelization. I had forgotten some of these, especially the larger role for Biggs. Definite calling BS on the poster who said there was no differences or flushing out in novel.

http://www.tor.com/2013/01/24/weird-differences-between-the-first-star-wars-movie-and-its-preceding-novelization/

In addition to the ebook already being out, you can also buy the audiobook, should you so desire, though I've listened to about a minute of the Audible sample and I'm not entirely convinced I could get behind that as a course of action. It has got sound effects, though. I haven't listened to a Star Wars audiobook in almost twelve years and it turns out I really missed the sound effects.

Looking at their line-up for 2016, there is the second Chuck Wendig book scheduled for July, and this one called "Bloodline" by Claudia Gray, out in May.

From the New York Times bestselling author of Star Wars: Lost Stars comes a thrilling prequel to Star Wars: The Force Awakens, set roughly six years before the events of the film

When I was like 7 or 8, I had the Marvel Comics adaptation of the first movie. It was one of those "pocket-sized" comics, which was roughly the size of a paperback. It had at least two "deleted scenes" in it. The Biggs Darklighter scene which was supposed to be near the start, and "Jabba" (here a bipedal, kind of elderly looking alien) confronting Han Solo at the Mos Eisley spaceport...

Biggs%20Darklighter_zpsvplbnc0a.jpg

Jabba%20Star%20Wars%20comic_zps0rfpm9vo.

If memory serves, I had the comic before I saw the movie, and I can remember going back to read the comic after seeing the flick and thinking it odd that there were scenes in the comic that weren't in the flick. Later on, I had some viewmaster discs that had pics of the Biggs scene on them, and I realized that scene had been cut.

Finished it. There are some extra details, but not much. I would put it in a pair with novelizations of movies 1, 2, 5 and 6; better than 4 and worse than Stover's Revenge of the Sith.

Still, happy that I read it. Like rewatching the movie.

I just tried to read a few of the novels that were recommended earlier.

But uhm.... well just my opinion but most of that stuff is terrible. I mean, absolutely woeful.

I tried Shadows of Empire by Perry, because hey, it's set between ESB and RoTJ and that seems really interesting, it has Vader, Sideous, Luke, Leia, everyone. But the writing was just so corny and immature.

Also didn't like what I read of Shadows of Mindor, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, the Thrawn trilogy and Darth Plagueis.

The only sample I actually liked from 10 books I tried was Paul Kemp's recent Lords of the Sith book. And even then there was far too much time spent on other boring characters.

I might pick that up, and the TFA novelization, but that'll be it for me. Maybe future books will be more to my taste.

I just tried to read a few of the novels that were recommended earlier.

But uhm.... well just my opinion but most of that stuff is terrible. I mean, absolutely woeful.

I t

I might pick that up, and the TFA novelization, but that'll be it for me. Maybe future books will be more to my taste.

Those ones you read, are they part of the official canon anymore?  I think they were ejected with the rest of the EU. 

Those ones you read, are they part of the official canon anymore?  I think they were ejected with the rest of the EU. 

None of that is considered canon anymore no. Basically nothing is except for the films, tv shows and the books starting since the reboot. So the Lord of the Sith book is actually one of the first new books that is canon. All the other fanous ones I tried are not considered canon anymore.

Archived