Star Wars Novels/Graphic Novels

Magnar of Skagos

I thought this was pretty interesting and a possible look into episode 8 content. In the new book the art of the Force Awakens, we see what Anakin's force ghost may look like now and I think its prettty freaking cool and the blurb about the concept just adds another intersting aspect into what happened to him. If they run with that it would be interesting if Vader's force ghost spoke to Kylo and Anakin's to Rey. Just a thought.HAYDEN-2.jpg?w=1132

Hidden Content

That's cool but I could see it being controversial. 

Since it suggest Anakin wasn't really redeemed at the end of Return of the Jedi. Or he was but it didn't stick and his force ghost got mad again. 

Oh, fuck no. I really fucking hope they don't do that -

As with Dark Empire, it cheapens Anakin's sacrifice and overall story arc. The whole reason why he's able to pull the "disappearing then Force Ghost" thing at the end is because he finally lets go of his hate and fear, surrenders to the light side completely, and so forth. I don't want some bullshit about his Force Ghost going Vader-esque. 

I got Twilight Company and Lost Stars in the mail today, and am 60 pages into the latter. I'm really enjoying it. Don't pay attention to the YA label, the story is already more mature than most adult SW novels. And I love getting a look into the Imperial Academy.

Lost Stars has been my favorite of the new canon books thus far. I'm just getting into Tarkin and haven't read Battlefront yet but Lost Stars was a great read.

Well I finished The Force Awakens novelization...twice...and I enjoyed it.  But mainly because it clarified certain things that weren't so clear in the movie such as the First Order / New Republic / Resistance situation and just who everyone was and what their relationship were.

There were new scenes added that weren't in the movie as have been pointed out but they are not substantial.  I read an interview with the author and he basically only had the script and some pictures to look at.  He wasn't able to see the movie or speak with anyone such as JJ to get greater insight into the story and what might be coming.  It sounds like he had to beg to even get an actual picture of Daisy in her Rey costume so he could describe it properly.  This explains some detractions from the movie such as the island where Luke is on at the end where the book adds a forest to the landscape.  (How hard would it have been for Disney to tell him to look at pictures of Skellig Michael for this scene?)

So what was most interesting was the scenes that were in the movie and getting a sense of how they might have been originally intended or written before the final edit.  Certain lines that were cut or descriptions that would have been given in the script that were left to the actor's interpretation that maybe came across differently in the final version of the movie.

That says a lot about how Disney saw the novelization. Contrast that with the Revenge of the Sith novelization (now in the Legends continuity), where Stover has said repeatedly the Lucas made line edits and even changed stuff as small as particular words and phrasing. 

Revenge of the Sith novelization was easily the best novelization from all Star Wars movies, and really you can't want anything more from a novelization.

I thought that the other novelizations of the prequels (from Brooks and Anderson) were alright, as were the novelizations for tESB and RotJ. Around the same quality as The Force Awakens. A New Hope (from Foster) was a bit shit because it had just an extra scene with Biggs as far as I can remember.

Anyway, planning to start today Tarkin. Anyone else read it, thoughts?

Tarkin is a typical Lucino book. Politics and backstabbing and ocassionly a boom. You either like his books by now or you don't. Unless this is your first. I really enjoy them but they are aimed at a kind of perculir crowd. Love the way he writes Vader though. The man just GETS Vader.

Cheers!

Plagueis is my favorite Star Wars book after Heir to the Empire. So yep, I like him (Labyrinth of Evil was alright, but not great). If it is similar to Plagueis, then great.

Revenge of the Sith novelization was easily the best novelization from all Star Wars movies, and really you can't want anything more from a novelization.

I thought that the other novelizations of the prequels (from Brooks and Anderson) were alright, as were the novelizations for tESB and RotJ. Around the same quality as The Force Awakens. A New Hope (from Foster) was a bit shit because it had just an extra scene with Biggs as far as I can remember.

I agree about all the novelizations (except TFA, which I haven't read). It's amazing that the RotS book and movie were even based on the same script.

Tarkin is a typical Lucino book. Politics and backstabbing and ocassionly a boom. You either like his books by now or you don't. Unless this is your first. I really enjoy them but they are aimed at a kind of perculir crowd. Love the way he writes Vader though. The man just GETS Vader.

I've read all his books except Tarkin and Agents of Chaos, and either liked them or really liked them, so I guess should read Tarkin someday.

Nice. I just got started on Tarkin. A bit slow at the beginning, but it's starting to pick up.

Just finished Tarkin.

It was decent enough. Not great as Plagueis novel, but still quite enjoyable. Interesting to see Tarkin and Vader from some other perspective. 'Sheev' looked still evil as fuck though.

I loved the small hints to Darth Plagueis book. Not much, but enough to make you think about it, and in some way to canonize the events there.

Archived