Anti-gay bias is stupid

You had faith in humanity? I think I lost mine right around

The basic argument against gay marriage is that if gay marriage is legal, gay marriage will be legal. Also something something photographer blah blah religious freedom uhhh just supporting traditional marriage blah blah children blah blah insidious plot.

The best part was the blonde woman near the end who tells the viewer what it's really about. It's not about equal rights for gays, of course. Who would actually be for that? The real issue is using the trojan horse of gay marriage to take control of society.

The best part was the blonde woman near the end who tells the viewer what it's really about. It's not about equal rights for gays, of course. Who would actually be for that? The real issue is using the trojan horse of gay marriage to take control of society.

For me its a toss up between 'oh no children will be taught *a bunch of non bigoted stuff*' and the guy complaining that bigots may have to suffer 'social ridicule'

Actually meaning "take control of society away from us"

I dunno. I felt bad for all of the persecuted McJesutes in that video. I mean, they just lost the fundamental right to persecute other people based on religious reasons that this country was founded on! It's about rights damn it... just not gay rights.

The basic argument against gay marriage is that if gay marriage is legal, gay marriage will be legal. Also something something photographer blah blah religious freedom uhhh just supporting traditional marriage blah blah children blah blah insidious plot.

It took me about a minute to realize that they considered the things they argued would happen to be bad things. I'm really not seeing the downside.

Though the adoption one made me stop a bit, apparently it's better that children not be adopted at all rather than adopt to homosexuals.

Okay so the first thing they said about churches being forced to marry homosexuals should have been a hint, but since it's also wrong I kind of skipped it.

Holy shit, that's a real thing? That was so fucking stupid I actually laughed, I thought it was a parody or something. Kept expecting a "subscribe to collegehumor link to pop up at the end.

Holy shit, that's a real thing? That was so fucking stupid I actually laughed, I thought it was a parody or something. Kept expecting a "subscribe to collegehumor link to pop up at the end.

Yeah, it helped get Prop 8 passed a few years back. That and Prop 8 lawn signs and bumper stickers showing iconified mother, father and children figures all holding hands and the phrase "Protect California children" underneath.

In one sense yes, it's funny. But on the other hand, we haven't advanced one bit in terms of political rhetoric on this issue since.

Corollary to Poe's Law: there is no sincere expression of extremism that will not be mistaken for a parody.

I have a couple of extremely bigoted cousins who post homophobic shit on social media. I'm so curious what their children and/or grandchildren will think of them when they see it. I had a grandfather who was on the wrong side of things during the African American Civil Rights Movement. I 'know' but also don't know. I don't know specifics because there is no record of things he said or did or thought each day about blacks. I just 'know' because of random comments throughout the years.

For my cousins, there is now this indexed record of their most vile comments about gays. Their memory and narrative can't be so easily altered because it's all there, in black and white (or whatever color the social media site is using) and can be easily found with whatever the future's form of google will be.

I wrote an article last week about LGBT groups in Ukraine. Not so long ago in Kiev someone tried to burn down a cinema screening an LGBT film, with 100 people inside it at the time. Kiev's mayor was asked how he planned to respond to it, and he said that, whilst he thought human rights generally were a good thing, he wasn't going to stand up for the rights of gays and lesbians.

Yes, yes homophobia is stupid.

I live in the Bible belt, and most of you who know me, know I'm Christian. I also vote Democrat and am pretty liberal, about pretty much everything, I guess.

I am honestly so perplexed by the whole anti-gay thing. It seems to be more generational than anything, particularly where I live. Most of my contemporaries and people younger than me have no problem with homosexuality, and feel that everyone should have the same rights and privileges that heterosexuals enjoy. It's the older generation (that worship at the alter of FOX News) that seem to have a huge, gigantic, paranoid, chip on their shoulder about it.

It's not just homosexuality they have a problem with, though. I was at a business lunch yesterday, with a sales rep. who is probably in his late 50's/early 60's. We had a lovely conversation about GoT, (he's a fan of the show, but hasn't read the books. :/ ) We were discussing the violence/shock of the Red Wedding scene, and then I shared about the video on Vice.com I had seen of how the KKK is recruiting Iraqi war veterans about 30 miles north of me. I was absolutely horrified by this video. This man said, "But it's kind of ironic that the things they have been saying for years are now coming true." I asked him what he was talking about. He clarified it for me, "Well, the races have mixed and everyone is turning brown. In thirty years, everyone will be brown." I was stunned speechless. I told him that everyone being brown suited me fine. Maybe then, we'd all get along better. And what the hell does it matter what color we are? He quickly changed his tune, but my coworker and I were chilled by the obvious implications of what he said.

I am constantly underestimating humanity's ability to be stupid, evil, and narrow minded. How does this sort of thinking differ from ISIS and other terrorist groups? Hate is hate.

I will tell you this with absolute certainty: The Christ I worship and pray to weeps for this sort of thinking.

Yesterday's lunch made me nauseous.

I'm not homophobic, have many gay friends I've come to know, and they are some of the best people I know. Also, when wanting someone's honest and unfiltered opinion on something, best people to turn to.

That being said, I did go through a period of time when I was homophobic. In High School, a gay boy spread the rumor about myself, that I slept with him and after we was done doing our thing, I would beat him up. Now, that was a vicious thing to do to me. And, here's the kicker, I didn't even know about this rumor for awhile because no one would approach me about it. Finally a girl let me in on it. My first thought at that age was to beat his ass. But, I just let it go, it was something that I knew I didn't do, and any action like that might validate his story, eh? But, this did cause me to become homophobic for a time. Didn't trust anyone who was gay, and obviously didn't want to be around any. But, as I moved into adulthood, I met many gay's that I truly enjoyed the company of. They never hit on me, and when I explained what had happened to me, they said "hey, it's just like a girl saying the same thing, that dude was attention freak and probably really confused."

So, I guess what I'm saying is, it's not always so cut and dry. I had a bad experience with one gay guy and it turned me into not wanting nothing to do with any of them for a short period of my life. Many different reasons why one could feel homophobic, and you can't just say homophobes are stupid or ignorant. That kid in High School really made my life difficult for a stretch of time. And I did confront him, and he was basically not turning from any of the things he said. Well, about ten years later, at a wedding, he came up and apologized to me saying he had a huge crush on me and he thought it would be a way to get my attention. Wow, I was like "buddy, I'm not gay, how would that get my attention?" Then went on to explained how hard and confusing it was to just figure out your gay and all the others problems he was dealing with at that time. We are now on talking terms and he's come into his own, and really good person. But, you guys should really think before you just assume that someone's homophobia is stupid or doesn't have a backstory to it.

I'm not homophobic, have many gay friends I've come to know, and they are some of the best people I know. Also, when wanting someone's honest and unfiltered opinion on something, best people to turn to.

That being said, I did go through a period of time when I was homophobic. In High School, a gay boy spread the rumor about myself, that I slept with him and after we was done doing our thing, I would beat him up. Now, that was a vicious thing to do to me. And, here's the kicker, I didn't even know about this rumor for awhile because no one would approach me about it. Finally a girl let me in on it. My first thought at that age was to beat his ass. But, I just let it go, it was something that I knew I didn't do, and any action like that might validate his story, eh? But, this did cause me to become homophobic for a time. Didn't trust anyone who was gay, and obviously didn't want to be around any. But, as I moved into adulthood, I met many gay's that I truly enjoyed the company of. They never hit on me, and when I explained what had happened to me, they said "hey, it's just like a girl saying the same thing, that dude was attention freak and probably really confused."

So, I guess what I'm saying is, it's not always so cut and dry. I had a bad experience with one gay guy and it turned me into not wanting nothing to do with any of them for a short period of my life. Many different reasons why one could feel homophobic, and you can't just say homophobes are stupid or ignorant. That kid in High School really made my life difficult for a stretch of time. And I did confront him, and he was basically not turning from any of the things he said. Well, about ten years later, at a wedding, he came up and apologized to me saying he had a huge crush on me and he thought it would be a way to get my attention. Wow, I was like "buddy, I'm not gay, how would that get my attention?" Then went on to explained how hard and confusing it was to just figure out your gay and all the others problems he was dealing with at that time. We are now on talking terms and he's come into his own, and really good person. But, you guys should really think before you just assume that someone's homophobia is stupid or doesn't have a backstory to it.

I am not saying this is true for all homophobes, the truly ignorant assholes and people with prejudices, yea that's ignorance at its worst. I've encountered those, and would like to crack em in their mouth. But, there are instances where it can have a valid reason why someone is homophobic.

A black man once did something horrible to me and now I don't trust any black men and obviously don't want to be around any = stupid and ignorant, despite the back story.

I'm glad you came to realise that gay people are people and not some monolithic group but that doesn't actually mean that previous homophobic attitudes weren't stupid and ignorant no matter what the reason was that you came to hold them. I've thought a lot of stupid and ignorant things in the past too (I probably still do tbh) but recognising that's what they were is part of moving on from that.

I have mean things said to me by someone who happens to be straight, should I assume all straight people are mean or take that person as an individual? How about cis people? Americans? Men as a whole? That last one is a tough one, obviously #notallmen but #reallyanawfulfuckinglotofthem

I am not saying this is true for all homophobes, the truly ignorant assholes and people with prejudices, yea that's ignorance at its worst. I've encountered those, and would like to crack em in their mouth. But, there are instances where it can have a valid reason why someone is homophobic.

You didnt give a valid reason why you were homphobic though. If a heterosexual girl had done the same to you, are you saying you would have become.prejudiced against all heterosexuals? Your reaction was ignorant, and I'm glad you've moved beyond.it.

One, how was my reaction ignorant? I never confronted him, beat his ass, I simply let it go because I knew it wasn't true. But, it did cause me some embarrassment though, and being the blunt end of alot of jokes. The reason it made me homophobic for a short period of time was, I didn't trust or feel comfortable around a gay man, for what one did to me. Obviously it was one person who done it, but gave me a feeling that they couldn't be trusted and would say whatever to gain attention. I was also 17 at the time, teenagers don't rationalize like adults, I should have seen it was the action of one person, alas I lumped them all into a category. So, how does that make me ignorant? Isn't the person that did this to me the ignorant one? Yes, I'm glad I moved on from it, because I've met some amazing people who are gay or lesbian. I could care less about someone's sexual orientation so long as they are good human beings.

Karradin, no you shouldn't. And you have to realize where I live, there isn't many openly gay people I knew growing up in H.S.. I got over it relatively quickly, but how would you feel as me (straight male), having someone whom gay telling my whole H.S. that I slept with him and then proceed to beat him up after words. Doesn't make me look very good does it. And the argument your presenting about what if it was a girl is mute, it wasn't, it was a gay male. Which in turn made me reluctant to socialize with gay males.

Wow, aren't you guys seeing how this affected me, for something I absolutely didn't do? I'd hazard to say many straight men would've had a much more violent reaction then I did. And Yes, I'm glad I move on from it too. LGBT people are no different from any other human being, besides their sexual orientation.

ETA: Helena, let me clear this up. Do you say my reaction was ignorant....because I was homophobic for a time. When I think of homophobia, I think of it as any other phobia. To be scared of Of something. At that time I was scared to socialize, scared to be nice, for them getting wrong idea. Look my best friends use to rag on me hard. When we out at bars in college, i constantly got hit on by gay guys. Nothing drastic, the just levitated to me. When drinking (which i havent in 9 months), out with my fella's, i was the touchy in your face goofy, wild guy. Hell i didnt even notice the shit, my buddies was always cracking on me, saying "that dude likes ya, hahahah!

Anyway, didnt bother me a bit, didnt treat any different, just wasnt gonna shack up with the man. Just when that boy said something as he di, it did bother me, and I was scared to socialize with them a year or two. That's all, didnt hate gay's, but was a little scared (homophobic, in my book), didnt feel comfortable is all.

You know truly an honestly, I'm very interested in the LGBT coumminty, feminism, social justice woarriors and would love to know more about what they truly mean, how to help all of that. Look the older I get, almost 35, the more I want to see a cohesive, functioning society.

Yet, when I've posted on any of these threads, just trying to offer other perspectives I constantly hear the same shit every time.

1-you are sexist, racist, homophobic...etc.etc.

2-sounds to me as if that your not seeing g the real problem. Your repressing your real emotions, you shouldn't have made your subsequent actions.

3-totally fucking ignored

I feel sometimes like if I don't have the same opinion as you Im wrong. My feelings are automatically dismissed. We'll that's happened to plenty. Different situations I'm sure. In this case here, I was never teased or bullied. Humiliate a bit, but more bewildered as to why someone would say something like that.

More would get resolved in these issues if only we could see both sides and try and fix both sides of the problem. Usually how things get better.

I would have hated that specific person as a shit stain who had bullied me. I was bullied myself you know, it's not a unique experience that only you have had. I didn't blame any groups they belonged to. Hell I didn't even blame them, I blamed myself and became filled with self loathing. Reacting to a gay guy bullying you by distrusting all gays is not the normal or healthy or logical response, it's an ignorant one that shows you already had underlying homophobic inclinations. Which you know, fine you live in a society that told you to have those feelings, I get that, but don't try and paint your homophobia as any less stupid or ignorant. It wasn't justified by being bullied by a gay guy, hating that individual was justified.

Personally I forgave most of my bullies, I got one busted for peddling weed and that was it.

Ive also got to say this bit

but how would you feel as me (straight male), having someone whom gay telling my whole H.S. that I slept with him and then proceed to beat him up after words. Doesn't make me look very good does it.

Really doesn't read like someone who is completely over their homophobia, it says that you being accused of sleeping with him (ie being gay) is a negative (the other negative being that you beat him up). In high school I thought I was a straight male, I got called gay all the time even when not being bullied, it was something that was just assumed about me. There were zero out kids at my school, I grew up in a country town and didn't know a single gay person (although I had a gay aunt, at the time my fathers homophobia meant I had never met her). Despite all this being called gay didn't make me hate gays, I just learnt to shrug it off.

Archived