Association Football XXXIV - playing with the wrong shaped ball

Hereward

I don't think it has much to do with his religion, I think he's an easy target as he's not someone who says much nor is he one of those chest thumping players ( shock horror, people express emotions in different ways) . I'm all for people criticising Ozil, we all look at football differently, but not for idiotic shit like swapping shirts. That's absurd, and I'm not sure why it's part of the conversation.

There was an excellent Grantland piece on Ozil a while back, I don't think it was shared here though. I think most Arsenal fans have moved on from trying to convince other people about his 'worth'. Plus, in an inflated market like the one we've had for the last 2-3 seasons ( probably longer), it's hard to make that sort of judgement.

The problem is the way Arsenal plays is going to get the best out of Ozil.

Is or isn't?

Ozil is absolutely world class at making the right spaces for his colleagues. Not a skill which is easily taught.

Or measured. That's why he plays so well with Ramsey since that space that opens up when in final third, he fills. No one else drives into that space like Ramsey.

I meant isn't.

There is some truth to this but I do think he fits into our system too when Ramsey plays. Just look at the Giroud goal against West Ham. That's perfect Arsenal and perfect Ozil where he told Mertesacker to pass to Ramsey, who passed to Ozil, who passed into Giroud then moved to open space to receive the pass then thread to Ramsey who laid off for Giroud. He fits, he just doesn't have players who tend to run without the ball as much so he just needs to adapt which he has.

There is some truth to this but I do think he fits into our system too when Ramsey plays. Just look at the Giroud goal against West Ham. That's perfect Arsenal and perfect Ozil where he told Mertesacker to pass to Ramsey, who passed to Ozil, who passed into Giroud then moved to open space to receive the pass then thread to Ramsey who laid off for Giroud. He fits, he just doesn't have players who tend to run without the ball as much so he just needs to adapt which he has.

This is it right here. This worked well in Madrid when he had Crisiano, Di Maria and Gonzalo - players who moved around and got defenders out of position. Whereas at Arsenal, there are a lot of times where they play really slowly and he's just there thinking "I can't pass there, easy interception; I can't pass there because he's being double-teamed", this allows defenders to continuously harass him. Also, his hold-up play isn't good; everytime I see him isolated and waiting for support, I just know he's going to get bulldozed easily.

This is it right here. This worked well in Madrid when he had Crisiano, Di Maria and Gonzalo - players who moved around and got defenders out of position. Whereas at Arsenal, there are a lot of times where they play really slowly and he's just there thinking "I can't pass there, easy interception; I can't pass there because he's being double-teamed", this allows defenders to continuously harass him. Also, his hold-up play isn't good; everytime I see him isolated and waiting for support, I just know he's going to get bulldozed easily.

Yea, he does get bullied a bit and a lot of that is due to him only being single footed and generally one pace. He has bulked up considerably though since the beginning of the season.

Sorry, didn't realize that. Should have read more closely.

Glad you did since you provided the link.

Chelsea continue their campaign to have the most embarrassing social media presence in world sport. What a set of pissing, whinging babies.

ETA: The article linked to that is actually written by Jose Mourinho. The man is an horrible bastard he really is

This campaign of Chelsea's reminds me of Crvena Zvezda and Partizan.

They are more concerned about the other team getting the penalty and ref's conspiracies against them than they are about playing football.

Chelsea is still a long way from that, but it's an annoying trend,

Ozil's been absolutely class since he came back, the first Monaco game aside. But he deserved the stick before then.

I can see why shirt-swapping at half time pisses people off, it can be a sign of a lack of focus, but like someone said before I don't for a second think that Ozil was the one initiating the action, unless he had a transfer offer from Arsene hidden in his sleeve.

Di Maria is getting off slightly more lightly right now because (1) he's a lot more frenetic so he doesn't look lazy and (2) people are equally keen to blame Van Gaal for constantly playing him in stupid positions, so he's getting a bit more slack. He still gets plenty of criticism, though.

Archived