Association Football XXXIV - playing with the wrong shaped ball

Hereward

I feel sort of certain that we'll be knocked out of the Europa League on Thursday (hey, we won a league game! That means we'll be trampled somewhere else..), but I would find it funny if we were the sole remaining English team in European competitions come Friday.

Yes, Alex, I know you guys aren't knocked out yet.

Aren't you a Liverpool fan?

Indeed.

I find the criticism of Ozil in this morning's press quite ridiculous. So he swapped a shirt at half time. Big fucking deal. Does anyone actually think Ozil wanted Geoffrey Kondogbia's shirt?

Like Paul Scholes before the game, you have to assume that all these twerps who are slagging him relentlessly haven't actually been watching Arsenal since Ozil returned from injury. He's been class, and one of the main reasons we've won 13 of our past 15 games.

ETA: And Paul Scholes is one of the worst pundits on TV. Quite dreadful.

Also, LoL at Arsenal for getting knocked out

I must admit I don't get the joke either.

Sure, it was a "dream draw" and all that, but it's not as if Arsenal were stomped 7-0 on aggregate to make it LOL-worthy.

I feel sort of certain that we'll be knocked out of the Europa League on Thursday (hey, we won a league game! That means we'll be trampled somewhere else..), but I would find it funny if we were the sole remaining English team in European competitions come Friday.

Yes, Alex, I know you guys aren't knocked out yet.

We basically are though

I must admit I don't get the joke either.

Sure, it was a "dream draw" and all that, but it's not as if Arsenal were stomped 7-0 on aggregate to make it LOL-worthy.

It was a fairly predictable end. We played terrible in the first leg like we always do and played well in the second like we always do. Same old story. Still, our current form is really good at the moment with most of our players healthy and I think we finish really strong in the league and probably win the FA Cup. With the start we had (winning 2 out of our first 8 league games) and all the injuries, I am really happy with the way this team can play when healthy.

Indeed.

I find the criticism of Ozil in this morning's press quite ridiculous. So he swapped a shirt at half time. Big fucking deal. Does anyone actually think Ozil wanted Geoffrey Kondogbia's shirt?

Like Paul Scholes before the game, you have to assume that all these twerps who are slagging him relentlessly haven't actually been watching Arsenal since Ozil returned from injury. He's been class, and one of the main reasons we've won 13 of our past 15 games.

ETA: And Paul Scholes is one of the worst pundits on TV. Quite dreadful.

Yea, I agree though Scholes isn't alone. A lot of Arsenal fans feel the same way and honestly, will always. When you cost 42.5m, there is an expectation that you're more than just a luxury player and Ozil isn't. Even if he never reaches the heights where he's actually worth that much money, he almost always contributes to goals and that's what he's there for. That pass to Monreal for the 2nd goal was perfect.

Di Maria cost much more, and is having a similar experience to Ozil. Started off brightly, before becoming a bit shit. Thing is, he doesn't get anywhere near as much criticism. Don't think Paul Scholes has ever said a bad word about him.

Andy Townsend then went on to say that 'swapping shirts is a big deal for english sides and since Ozil plays for an english club, he shouldn't be doing it', yes Andy, he should try being more 'english' because that lot are doing real good in Europe at the moment.

The less said about the Scholes remarks in the post match, the better. None of that is relevant.

City's 100th game in Europe tonight. Kind of cool. Really into round historic numbers like that

ETA: Quite incredible we've managed to fit so many in since 2008

Er what? Di Maria gets loads of criticism. There's a fair amount of talk that United are going to offload him in the summer.

No way does he get as much flak as Ozil.

Andy Townsend then went on to say that 'swapping shirts is a big deal for english sides and since Ozil plays for an english club, he shouldn't be doing it', yes Andy, he should try being more 'english' because that lot are doing real good in Europe at the moment.

The less said about the Scholes remarks in the post match, the better. None of that is relevant.

I sometimes wonder if Ozil wasn't a Muslim, would he get as much shit as he does? Maybe, maybe not, but with all the anti-Islam bullshit going on, you never know...

It was a fairly predictable end. We played terrible in the first leg like we always do and played well in the second like we always do. Same old story. Still, our current form is really good at the moment with most of our players healthy and I think we finish really strong in the league and probably win the FA Cup. With the start we had (winning 2 out of our first 8 league games) and all the injuries, I am really happy with the way this team can play when healthy.

Yes, the first leg was a huge slap in the face to Arsenal.

I mean, having Berbatov score on you with three of your defenders around him is not pretty.

Monaco has a much weaker side than Arsenal and Arsenal should've gone through.

They just messed it up.

Di Maria cost much more, and is having a similar experience to Ozil. Started off brightly, before becoming a bit shit. Thing is, he doesn't get anywhere near as much criticism. Don't think Paul Scholes has ever said a bad word about him.

From some reports I've read a while back, Di Maria's house has been burgled while he was in it with his wife (and kids?) which has left him a bit freaked out.

He's moved into a hotel, hired security guards and all that.

I can see how not feeling safe at his home and around city would mess his game up.

I'm not really laughing but its funny because it's classic Arsenal, bottle the first leg and lose on away goals.

So what are you guys watching today, Dortmund/Juve or City/Barca? Haven't decided yet.

Sure, classic Arsenal, funny way to lose, no complaints there.

I'm not sure I'll watch either. I'm having a beer or two or seven with my mate later this evening and we haven't seen each other in a while so we might skip both matches.

Hoping for Dortmund to advance and, let's face it, I'd rather have City over Barca.

I sometimes wonder if Ozil wasn't a Muslim, would he get as much shit as he does? Maybe, maybe not, but with all the anti-Islam bullshit going on, you never know...

Yeah, we do know.

He'd get as much shit as he does now because he's been paid 40+M£ for, and hasn't really lived up to the price tag yet, despite some of his great performances.

I have never read that he's been insulted over his religion by fans not that his religion has ever been mentioned by any tv pundit, opposing player or manager nor that his religion has been used against him in any way, shape or form.

Is it even common knowledge that he's Muslim..? I had no idea.

He's of Turkish descent which means that he's almost certainly Muslim, though how religious he is is not certain.

I have never heard him talk about religion, nor do I think he (or any other athlete) ever should.

Ozil is never going to live up to the price tag so it doesn't much matter if he's Muslim or not. His style is very languid and fluid, but it's not flashy and it requires other players to finish plays he starts. If the team bottles opportunity after opportunity, Ozil doesn't look good. If they finish and he's the one who hits the final pass, he looks good. But if he starts the attack or makes the pass before the pass, no one notices and all people remember is the misplaced passes or the opportunities where he didn't shoot and could have. He doesn't score goals, he doesn't dribble through players and he doesn't have pace, so he will never look like a 42.5m player no matter how important he is to the Arsenal side. Yesterday was one of those examples where he had some good moments and terrible moments but Sanchez was infinitely worse but gets zero amount of criticism.

Di Maria has gotten flack and probably gets it from United fans just as much as Ozil gets it from Arsenal fans. The difference with Di Maria though is he's flashy so if he starts dribbling through people or making something happen from nothing like he's capable of, everyone will forget his slow start. Ozil just won't be able to do that so will never be recognized like Di Maria could be.

Archived