Association Football XXXIV - playing with the wrong shaped ball

Hereward

I think that to some extent Alex is right that this year's performance is just statistically unusual. I think also that there's a difference between the best league and the league with the best clubs. But looked at over a broader period, I think there's a degree of underperformance in Europe by the top PL clubs, certainly relative to where they perceive themselves. It's not as bad as the current hand-wringing suggests, just as the success of the PL clubs a few years back was overplayed. But there is certainly room for improvement.

Yes I don't think the lack of success of PL clubs is because of bad luck this season (they were poor previous season too and before that it was just Chelsea mostly). The fact is as Barcelona fan I was never scared of any English club except Chelsea. United, Arsenal, Liverpool, City - all of them were simply considered must wins for me and this year I was pretty happy we got City, despite our poor form back then I was sure we will advance through them.

Also when I hear a talk about how other leagues, like Primera Division are easy and unbalanced, compared to PL - if that's the case why were Spanish clubs so successful in EL recently, for example? I believe if some midtable Primera team like Sevilla or Villareal would be able to defeat Arsenal like Monaco did. I don't think other teams in Primera are easy prey, they are just not consistent, so a team that is great one year (Bilbao, Valencia) often undergoes steep decline next year. So when a lot of people see Barca/Real (and now also Atletico) on top and ever changing bunch of teams under, they consider all those on lower position crap. But they are not bad in that particular year, they are just unable to maintain consistent form long term (because of poor finances).

I think the Liverpool link is just lazy journalism.

More likely it's Walcott's people trying to put pressure on the club (the Standard have the same story). His contract talks have now been put "on hold" until the summer. Cheerio, Theo...

I think the Liverpool link is just lazy journalism. We may have had some interest in him a while back, but we're pretty well stocked in those areas. We really don't have the money to be able to afford luxury additions.

I think most of the 'Walcott to Liverpool' speculation is based around the premise that Sterling will sooner or later leave to either City or Madrid. They're not particularly similar apart from being fast and English, but what can you do.

I doubt it's got anything to do with it really. Those talks have been meandering on for a while now, it's not massively unreasonable to leave it till the summer. Since Walcott will almost certainly want the kind of money Sterling wants there doesn't seem to be a great deal of benefit in theoretically replacing Sterling with Walcott, you might as well just pay Sterling the money.

What Alex said.

The difference between them being that if it becomes clear Sterling wishes to leave there'll be plenty of CL teams wanting to buy him, whereas Henderson wouldn't improve anyone likely to be able to afford him. Though there'd be worse options than him if Juve were looking for a Pogba replacement (seeing as they'll never get anyone actually as good), I couldn't see that happening.

Archived