Better Call Saul Thread 2; Philly Cheesesteaks((Spoilers))

Lord Syv Aldlark

Other thread is locked.

This show is doing a good job of breaking out of BB's shadow. It really feels like it's own entity and that was the one thing I was worried about.

I also enjoy how we are getting basically a Saul backstory as well as a Mike backstory.

I can't wait to see what happens with Kim and Chuck as we know they aren't active in BB.

Dang, I'm too late. I was going to name the thread, "'S'all good, man."

Continuing a point from the last thread:

Do we even really know that Hamlin is that bad a guy? Or does just being an adversary to our protagonist make him one? If anyone is pulling any shenanigans to screw over the other fella, it's Jimmy/Saul.

I'd say that yes, Hamlin has exhibited 'evil' behavior. Not illegal, but immoral. I'd direct you to the first episode where Jimmy runs down Hamlin, basically saying that while Chuck toiled and worked, Hamlin took all the credit. What is most telling is that when this happens, Chuck basically handwaves instead of defending his former partner. I will say this, oddly Hamlin is deferential to Jimmy. I don't know how much of that is because he's afraid that Jimmy will force his brother to cash out.

I personally find that kind of lousy, but it's not necessarily wrong or unusual. A lot of partnerships involve one 'face' who is great at sales and marketing, and one 'technician' who does the work behind the scenes. While it's tempting to say that the technician is the essential partner doing all the work, in reality it's a lot more complicated. The sales and client-facing part of the job (any job, not just law which I know little about) is actually incredibly difficult, and it's almost always the case that the really good technicians are also really bad at the face part of it.

A really good collaboration between the two sides of it is a pretty unbeatable combination, but it often falls apart when one starts to think the other is skating by on all the hard work he is doing.

i really hope crazy lady kettleblack ends up a regular and this isn't the end of her involvement.

did jimmy dump them papers on chuck because he is too lazy to do them himself, or because he wants to keep him busy and bring him out of himself?

did jimmy dump them papers on chuck because he is too lazy to do them himself, or because he wants to keep him busy and bring him out of himself?

I'd say he did it to 1) make Chuck feel useful again and 2) his elder law practice is growing and he could use some extra help.

I liked this episode, a little less than the previous, but that one would be hard to top.

Papers, I see it as Saul recognizing that Chuck's illness is mental and that maybe he needs some help. And that if Chuck can get interested in law again maybe he will get past his mental block.

Tired of the embezzling couple, just want to smack them around a little. Didn't like seeing Saul do the right thing! I like my Saul a little slimey.

So has Saul always been in the friendzone with her?

As someone mentioned in the other thread, really loved the scene with Mike and the elder of the two "Philly cheesesteaks" sitting alone in the hallway.

I think I ruined that scene for myself by scanning all the faces to see if there was anyone from Breaking Bad instead of just enjoying it (I didn't recognise any of them).

Any fans of Betsy Kettleman should see the episode of Damages she was in. For the acting, of course. Great acting.

Had planned to wait until the season had fully aired before watching but with spoilers seeping into daily conversations I had to crack :|

Quite a nice binge I must say it's been very good so far. With its pedigree I didn't expect it to bomb like some, but even so it's exceeded expectations so far - that Mike episode was fanfuckingtastic and proves this show could potentially be a great. The episodes are well crafted, the direction is spot on but... i'm just not yet sure if Odenkirk can carry it to Walter White or Mike's Five O levels of compelling.

Reiterating my potentially controversial opinion from the other thread - unless they really drop the ball somewhere in the next 3 episoides, Season 1 of BCS is shaping up to be better than Season 1 of BB.

I would have a hard time agreeing with that. I know everyone (including myself) looooved episode 6, but it felt too stand-alone IMO to be part of what makes season 1 amazing. All the fantastic (IMO) moments in BB season 1 (Walt and Crazy 8's whole interaction, the intervention, Walt coming out of the gangster closet) were all woven together so well to establish the plot. And I just loved the feel of everything. The gritty sardonic sense of humor (a certain element that seemed to actually go away later in the show... remember the bathtub scene?) that just makes BB season 1 unique in an amazing way. Comparing it to Saul and his development, well, the latter is great, but I don't think it holds up to Breaking Bad season 1. But then, maybe it's my nostalgia talking.

I would have a hard time agreeing with that. I know everyone (including myself) looooved episode 6, but it felt too stand-alone IMO to be part of what makes season 1 amazing. All the fantastic (IMO) moments in BB season 1 (Walt and Crazy 8's whole interaction, the intervention, Walt coming out of the gangster closet) were all woven together so well to establish the plot. And I just loved the feel of everything. The gritty sardonic sense of humor (a certain element that seemed to actually go away later in the show... remember the bathtub scene?) that just makes BB season 1 unique in an amazing way. Comparing it to Saul and his development, well, the latter is great, but I don't think it holds up to Breaking Bad season 1. But then, maybe it's my nostalgia talking.

I agree, BB season 1 felt much different from the rest of the show. It was very dark comedy, as opposed to just being dark.

As for comparing it to BCS, I don't think I can because we know how the story unfolded. Also moments like

Walt putting together that broken plate, only to find the dagger shaped piece missing

haven't been matched yet on BCS imo.

I think everyone knew that when we finally learned Mike’s story, it would be something heartrending and emotional, which last week’s episode, Five-0, was. Mike is a beloved character by most BB viewers. However, the greatness of last week’s episode doesn’t diminish this week’s at all. It was amazing in so many subtle ways. The gorgeous framing and lighting of Jimmy and Kim in the parking garage (which has been discussed all over by reviewers), Mike’s getting the fingerprints (though convoluted and likely improbable)—all great. I loved seeing Jimmy cut through the Kettlemans’ crap because yes, there are so many clients who believe, and want you to believe, their own bullshit. So many great lines in this episode (as the title of this thread indicates), but my favorite was “The 25th Hour starring Ned and Maude Flanders.” I had to look up cocobolo, though. As for comparisons to BB, I don’t engage in that because without BB, we wouldn’t have this show. As for giving the files to Chuck and erroneously referring to the need to file a “413” as opposed to a “513,” I agree that Jimmy wants to get Chuck interested in practicing law again, and he probably does need the help.

Whilst I can recognise how well written the character is, Betsy Kettleman contains pretty much every character trait I cannot stand in people and I hope she gets hit by a car.

ok, i'm going to be controversial here, i've been thinking about it since it aired, and i don't rate the acting in episode 6 that highly. it was good, but not as good as you were all banging on about.

maybe cos i read how you all got so excited i was expecting pacino in the godfather level of greatness.

I'm not certain anyone could like the character of Betsy. She is self-delusional and expects everyone to cooperate in perpetuating these delusions. Interestingly, Jimmy is great at dealing with Chuck, another character who has a singular self-delusion that he expects others to believe; however, Chuck is incredibly sympathetic, while Betsy is the opposite.

I'm not certain anyone could like the character of Betsy. She is self-delusional and expects everyone to cooperate in perpetuating these delusions. Interestingly, Jimmy is great at dealing with Chuck, another character who has a singular self-delusion that he expects others to believe; however, Chuck is incredibly sympathetic, while Betsy is the opposite.

Because she's interesting and hilarious. You're not supposed to sympathize with her at all - but I found her narcissism is awesomely engrossing.

Archived