Better Call Saul Thread 2; Philly Cheesesteaks((Spoilers))

Lord Syv Aldlark

Hard to say if its guilt, or anxiety about what sort of legal havoc Slippin' Jimmy might unleash on the world. I lean towards the latter. Either way he deserves his foil wrapped coniptions.

True on both accounts.

I agree that Jimmy becoming Saul in the finale seems likely. It makes perfect sense. It'd be a beautiful way to end the first season. I've expected it for a while but it's only now that it's becoming evident how/why.

As I believe his electromagnetic hypersensitivity is the result of his guilt regarding Jimmy, I am hoping it sends him to hospital with a complete breakdown only this time without Jimmy to help him out.

Oof. That would be super brutal for Jimmy, though. That'd be the one thing that could be piled on top of him to make things even worse right now.

And here I thought Chuck was just going to defect to Hamlin - never thought it was Chuck pulling Hamlin's strings all along.

Even after all the things that they'd been through, and even after all the things they got into. And yo, Jimmy did some things, but that's the old him...

Chuck you bastard. I called it from the cake scene, but that didn't make it any easier to watch. You know what else is really bad about it, though? How Hamlin hard it evidently was on Hamlin.

Don't get me wrong - he was probably already an ass, but not nearly as much as he was showing. He obviously cares about what Kim thinks of him, so he's not a sociopath. He obviously felt guilty about it, too, and knows it's wrong, but... he was still willing to take the blame for Chuck. And I don't think it's entirely because he's worried about Chuck cashing out, either - he was willing to be the hatchet man way back at the beginning, when Jimmy was in the mailroom and Chuck was still working.

Jimmy lost HHM, but there's no reason why he can't go to a competitor in NM - or even out-of-state - for help. Chuck was right about that much - it's too big a job for him alone. If he insists on going on his own, he'll lose the case and hurt his clients in the process - it's not about him anymore. And if the case is big enough that Jimmy could give it to an HHM competitor in exchange for a partnership stake... could that be grounds for Chuck's dismissal without a buyout?

Alternately, if Chuck relapses, Jimmy has all the cause in the world to have him committed, gain power of attorney as his sole heir, and force HHM to liquidate. He could wipe them all out in a single stroke.

Good call by those that guessed it was Chuck keeping Jimmy out the whole time.

I really enjoyed this episode. Probably right behind Five-O in terms of quality. Odenkirk and McKean both killed it in the confrontation scene. And Mike in the garage was gold.

I never thought Hamlin was a bad guy, everything bad about him we hear second hand from Jimmy. And I thought Chuck's reasoning was sound given his experience with Jimmy.

So, Nacho is Ignacio- who Saul refers to in BB when Walt and Jessie take him out blindfolded to the desert at night.

"Talk to me, guys! Come on. Just tell me what you want! Jesus! It wasn't me! It was Ignacio! He's the one!"

Why is pill guy so familiar? Is he a character in Br Ba?

"Pryce", the guy who sold the pills, hasn't appeared in either universe before - though with his appearance, dorky mannerisms, and drug peddling, some people have compared him to early Walter.

If you mean Nacho, who bought the pills, he was Tuco's cousin in the first couple of episodes of BCS. Told Jimmy to expect "consequences" and since disappeared...

I can't wait to rewatch this ep with my sister.

Stellar episode. Really well done drama with the two brothers, and it's only now that he's turned into a complete asshole that I start to develop a genuine interest in Chuck's character. I hope he stays on in future seasons.

I enjoyed Mike's scenes as well. Was it only me who was hoping for Gus to emerge from one of the two cars involved in his plotline?

Chuck is a grade-A bastard (I knew it from the cake scene, like many here). And I agree, his character just became far more interesting. I hope he doesn't relapse or die, because there is potential for an uneasy McGill relationship over the course of some time (something that could span a season or two).

What a self-fulfilling prophecy though: in treating Jimmy that way, Chuck hopes to prevent the return of Slippin Jimmy, but instead that's exactly what we'll get. Saul Goodman is on his way.

Also, I've never hated Hamlin or anything, but he's been a real bro to Chuck here. He was willing to be the villain so Chuck wouldn't have to (not that it mattered anyway).

Edit: last note I wanted to make before calling it a night: that scene with Mike and Price was pretty cool; it's like he was explaining that stuff to a junior WW. Also there is a strange juxtaposition with that law=!morality speech by Mike and then Chuck's 'law is sacred' bit. Chuck just came off as a petulant entitled brat for some reason.

I was wrong about Kim... She really stood up for Jimmy. So yeah... Chuck. Here is what gets me, and why Vince Gilligan's writing team is brilliant: We know that Chuck is correct. Ultimately James McGill is a shyster and we've seen the damage that Saul will help cause in Breaking Bad. Also there is the tragedy of knowing that Chuck put Jimmy on that path. The episode was overall awesome. The Chuck/Jimmy confrontation was great. My only quam with that part was that Chuck has been portrayed as being too smart not to realize quicker that Jimmy was walking him down a pier in the beginning.

Mike's stuff is incredible. I want to make a t.v. show of super competent underlings who go into work for themselves.... 'Henchers' I'm thinking Richard Harrow, Mike E, Boon (From Justified), Peggy (From Madmen). Finally, How long until New Mexico cops start profiling nebbish, middle aged white men driving hopelessly nerdy vehicles?

"He's driving a PT Cruiser and is wearing extremely high-waisted pants. Approach with maximum caution!"

So did Nacho intentionally short the pill guy by $20 to take his measure? And did Mike gain his attention as a result?

I don't think so, I think the point was to show how well prepared Mike was. He knew that Nacho wasn't gonna start anything over 20$ because he was dealing behind Tucos back

That was the best episode this season. Banks got a lot of deserved praise for Five-O but Odenkirk (and the people playing Hamlin, Kim and Chuck) really smashed it.

When Jimmy said "go to hell, Howard" it sounded as if he was on the verge of tears. :frown5:

So did Nacho intentionally short the pill guy by $20 to take his measure? And did Mike gain his attention as a result?

I was thinking that Nacho did do it intentionally. If they do the count and don't make an issue of it, he knows that they're pushovers.

There was a small moment last week's episode where I thought my initial guess about Chuck would be wrong. But Chuck's been an asshole since day 1. Perfectly willing to accept Jimmy being his unpaid bulter, very unwilling to even consider taking steps to make Jimmy's life better. This episode kinda made me feel sorry for Hamlin. He's a douchebag all on his own and so is just unlikeable in a general sort of way, but we actually got a sense of him feeling upset that Chuck puts him in this position.

Archived