Better Call Saul Thread 2; Philly Cheesesteaks((Spoilers))

Lord Syv Aldlark

Oh gross! Oh gag! Oh gad! :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick:

I'd rather be buried by anything other than senior waste. Animal, livestock, whatever, not as bad as that!

It's just something on a physical level I can't handle.

ETA:

Whew! Thought that was it for Chuck at the end of this episode, glad to see from the previews he's still around next week!

Yeah that was up there for grossest dumpster scene ever. I think the Fight Club one was the only other one that made me a little queasy.

Although I am thoroughly enjoying the show, I think that the writing is just a little scattered. Here we are on the eighth of ten episodes, and we finally got around to real conflict of the story. I have enjoyed the long setup for this, but it just seems to me that this plot line should have been brought up earlier in the series.

For those saying this is better than Breaking Bad, I would have to disagree strongly.

Chuck was the one who made sure Jimmy wouldn't get hired, right? Ithink Hamlin was just his hatchet man because Chuck couldn't face his brother himself, and it's going to come out in the finale.

This hadn't occurred to me, but you may be right. Chuck probably didn't want to risk the reputation of HHM by having Slipping Jimmy as one of their attorneys.

read a theory somewhere else that Mike will be hired by Sandpiper to do something

I don't buy that, because Saul and Mike have a working relationship in BB. Plus that would throw a wrench in the begrudging respect they seem to have for one another.

Edit: ...and I just realized that Kim using Chuck's code for the copier will probably give HHM a solid claim for the case. And Chuck follows the law to the letter, so I'm not sure he'd take Jimmy's side here. I think this is kind of weak though, it doesn't seem like Saul to make this kind of mistake (ie leaving a paper trail). That's a bit of hand waving from the writers imo.

Edit#2:

Oh god why did I have to watch the promo...that gave away the entire episode. It looks like Chuck will side with HHM...and he's fully cured, by the looks of it.

Just an okay episode for me, was glad to see Kerry Condon again, made sense that it would be her needing money that got Mike to go back to the vet

Edit#2:

Oh god why did I have to watch the promo...that gave away the entire episode. It looks like Chuck will side with HHM...and he's fully cured, by the looks of it.

yeah chuck definitely will side with HHM hope Kim doesn't though :(

Chuck is a fairly annoying character but spinning him into an antagonistic conponent to jimmys trajectory could make this a whole lot more interesting.

The cookie trail of the old person home + mike looking money + the aggressive behaivior of the "orderlies" is mapping it out to me for where this is heading.

Although I am thoroughly enjoying the show, I think that the writing is just a little scattered. Here we are on the eighth of ten episodes, and we finally got around to real conflict of the story. I have enjoyed the long setup for this, but it just seems to me that this plot line should have been brought up earlier in the series.

For those saying this is better than Breaking Bad, I would have to disagree strongly.

I see where you're coming from, but I kind of disagree. Because of its spinoff roots, we came into the show with a predetermined view of what it was goong to be about - the rise of Saul Goodman. It's really about the fall of James McGill - and to tell that story, we needed to see who James McGill is. It's not just about establishing his character, but his entire world.

The central conflict isn't going to be between Jimmy and Sandpiper, or HHM, or Mike/Gus, or even Chuck. It's Jimmy vs Saul. The brilliant thing about this show is just how different your expectations become if you don't know the backstory from BB - Jimmy is the scrappy underdog attorney trying to build his practice fighting against a crooked corporation against all odds. But because we know where it ends, we're getting a glimpse of where things could have gone before he falls. We're seeing everything he's already lost before Walt & Jesse kidnapped him.

Funnily enough, the only subplot that really seems pointless to me in retrospect is the one with Tuco and the two skaters - which is the one that really hooked me at the start of the show. And given where we know it ends up, that has to tie in to a larger arc at some point, but right now, in the BCS-only universe, that's the one that feels out of place.

Prediction -

I've seen everyone kind of speculating on what tragedy befalls Chuck and Kim. Obviously something has to happen because they aren't a part of Saul's life in BB. A popular theory is that Nacho uses one or both of them as leverage to 'get Saul in the game.' I have another theory. I think that Chuck and Kim will both 'betray' Jimmy. Many people think Hamlin will use the fact that Jimmy used Chuck's code as some kind of precedent to grab the case. I think this is a masterfully placed red herring.

Chuck is on the mend. I think the one thing he really wants is back in at HHM. I think he knows that having this case will get him back in at the highest level. He will take the case to HHM and offer to pay Jimmy a substantial finder's fee. When Jimmy, heartbroken, goes to Kim to seek advice and support, he will see that she has been sleeping with Hamlin this entire time. (Think about it... Kim is a star who only lost a couple of shaky clients, Hamlin wouldn't have sent her to the corn field UNLESS he was overreacting in order to cover for their relationship. )

Jimmy will say a big 'F-U to Hamlin, his brother, and Kim.' He will finally understand that you can't be a member of a club that won't accept you. He will give up the idea of being an 'above board' (mostly) lawyer and descend fully into Saul Goodness?

Thoughts?

I really hope that Kim isn't sleeping with Hamlin; it'd fall way too much under the trope that any betrayal from a woman has to involve sex. Plus, based on the interactions we've seen, it seems very doubtful.

I think it's much more likely that Chuck tries to freeze out Jimmy as you said, and then Kim is offered partnership and co-chairing the case with Chuck to side against him.

Has anybody even talked to any of the actual plaintiffs since the case started? Is it even acceptable for Jimmy to initiate the lawsuit on behalf of his clients before actually getting permission to? Can Sandpiper physically bar Jimmy from seeing his own clients at their facility?

IG,

Good points all. I like your scenario better than the one I posited. As to your question about Jimmy initiating a lawsuit on their behalf. It would depend on two things: New Mexico State Laws and the Nature of the Contract Jimmy entered into with the seniors. (This is information I am remembering from helping a friend study for the Bar in MD circa 99'. ) In states where there are 'Estate Executors' (sort of like Power of Attorney Light) the Executor is empowered to deal with all issues of estate (including fraud).

Sandpiper is a private company and can certainly bar Jimmy if they wanted to. Well... they would have to ban all non-related visitors, but as a private business it is within their right. Now I'm not sure why they couldn't just give one of their residents an extra serving of Jello in return for lodging a complaint against McGill. That would be the smart play... Have the senior report their complaint to the police. Boom restraining order, boom serious knock on Jimmy's credibility.

Because of its spinoff roots, we came into the show with a predetermined view of what it was goong to be about - the rise of Saul Goodman. It's really about the fall of James McGill - and to tell that story, we needed to see who James McGill

Well said.

I think it's much more likely that Chuck tries to freeze out Jimmy as you said, and then Kim is offered partnership and co-chairing the case with Chuck to side against him.

Kim might also leverage a partnership with HHM just for bringing Jimmy's case to their attention. The whole copy charge thing may well fall under their accounting radar, but it doesn't have to. And it would be a much more pointed betrayal.

This show simply MUST move beyond the time frame of BB, I can't handle a sad ending for these characters. I'd be great if it becomes 'Breaking Good', with the re-rise of Jimmy McGill. An inverse arc to BB's.

It's almost a shame that it's a prequel, Saul Goodman could easily take the place of Slippin Jimmy as the shady character he used to be, and simply move all the characters and arcs forward. The only downside (a major one at that) is we'd get no Mike of course.

Remind me, what exactly was the threat that Saul had to call the hoover guy for? Is it bad guys or the police?

Interesting episode. Jimmy again finding something and showing his potential as a lawyer. Since we have all watched BB we all get the feeling that he will get screwed on this and HHM will get all the credit. The fact that Chuck is still a partner there and that his code was used to print the paperwork is lining this up to pit them against eachother. Chuck will see it as just the rules and law and Jimmy will see it as betrayal.

I could see the Sandpiper group hiring Mike to do something but Mike turning it on them and helping Jimmy, further cementing their trust of eachother.

And, no, just no to Kim sleeping with the boss.

I am sure Chuck's "condition" is likely a mental issue of him dealing with the guilt over not recommending the firm to hire Jimmy. He has gotten progressively better as Jimmy is showing himself to be competent. Chuck seems to be freeing himself from the guilt he hasn't dealt with. Unfortunately for Chuck, if this goes bad and Jimmy takes a beating while HHM looks like the saviors Chuck may suffer a complete mental breakdown if he has a hand in it.

I'm worried and certain he'll be betrayed, too. Would make sense to feel shattered enough that you would change your name.

Also, as someone mentioned, would be a reason Chuck isn't mentioned in BB, or he was just irrelevant. I was hoping we'd get more Hamlin, Chuck, and Kim next season! Hamlin is a brilliant dickface.

I don't know if it would be Jimmy 'getting screwed' or betrayed, and I have only a recently unfrozen caveman's understanding of the law, but wouldn't Chuck's involvement basically split the earnings from the case between Jimmy and the firm? As opposed to the firm simply taking the case from him? Not too shabby considering Chuck did some of the lifting and Jimmy's farmed out the grunt work to Kim. I'd imagine it'd be more like Jimmy squares off with them trying to get a bigger piece, and maybe in the negotiations Hamlin agrees to pay him some extra with the condition that he change his name.

Archived