[SPOILERS] Black Sails - Season 4 on the Horizon.

Arkash

very solid start. I like how Flint seems to be on a path of self destruction and I guess it's understandable given the British have taken the 2 people he loved from him. It's a shame for all those getting dragged into his own personal storm.

I liked how the amount of gold means everyone wants paid more - making reconstruction of the wall impossible. I was disappointed they didn't offer the slaves freedom in exchange for the wall given the hand-wringing scene between jack and Vane. I'd be cool with them simply not giving a shit given the age they are living in.

Silver's use of the stump despite the damage it's causing was interesting too. I liked how Blackbeard is being teased and how it mirrors the one-eyed pirate from last season. We know Blackbeard wont be a 3 episode character though.

Amazing season premiere, can't wait for episode two. The tear that Flint is on is murderous, Toby Stephens pulls it off incredibly well. That line he has for Silvers character, "In my head you're not welcome", HOLY SHIT. 

I was wondering if anyone picked up on this yet. In the preview for ep2, Blackbeard looks like he confronts Vane. He says something like "When you put something in the ground, you expect it to stay there." 

Here's my question. Was Blackbeard working with Albinus (the big dude who Vane killed who strongly resembles Teach), and how does he know Vane? Can't wait to see this unfold!

7 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

I was wondering if anyone picked up on this yet. In the preview for ep2, Blackbeard looks like he confronts Vane. He says something like "When you put something in the ground, you expect it to stay there." 

Here's my question. Was Blackbeard working with Albinus (the big dude who Vane killed who strongly resembles Teach), and how does he know Vane? Can't wait to see this unfold!

I'm not entirely sure what he is talking about in the preview. I believe, in either real history or show history, he was a mentor to Vane in the past. They are old friends.

8 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Amazing season premiere, can't wait for episode two. The tear that Flint is on is murderous, Toby Stephens pulls it off incredibly well. That line he has for Silvers character, "In my head you're not welcome", HOLY SHIT. 

The writers talked about how they were introducing Blackbeard into the series in the Inside the Episode following the premiere.

ETA: If you have Starz on Demand there is a two-minute extra about Blackbeard discussing his role in the show. If you don't like knowing the general direction or arc of a character in the most general of terms, I would avoid watching that extra.

I could have watched a whole episode of Flint and crew trying to survive the storm. Some powerful stuff there, especially with Silver. I don't know anything about sailing and sail ships, so I don't know how realistic all of this is, but since season 1, I've always appreciated it when the writers and production team put in the effort to make it look realistic.

I am also liking Ray Stevenson as Blackbeard quite a lot. His sit down with Vane and Rackham was great.

I guess now we know whose name Eleanor wrote on that paper.

57 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I could have watched a whole episode of Flint and crew trying to survive the storm. Some powerful stuff there, especially with Silver. I don't know anything about sailing and sail ships, so I don't know how realistic all of this is, but since season 1, I've always appreciated it when the writers and production team put in the effort to make it look realistic.

I am also liking Ray Stevenson as Blackbeard quite a lot. His sit down with Vane and Rackham was great.

I guess now we know whose name Eleanor wrote on that paper.

That storm was fantastic. The more unhinged Flint becomes, the more I root for him.

I have a feeling Blackbeard doesn't really forgive Vane. I did love the "back in my day" speech he gave to Vane and Rackham.

I was really hoping Eleanor didn't write down the obvious name and gave Rogers Flint's name.

I loved Rackham's reaction to Blackbeard being in Nassau and quickly agreeing to Max's plan. Jack is so much more entertaining when he is being a snake.

Well, I was wrong about the name Eleanor gave, but that is OK... These two episodes have been fantastic.

There are major motion pictures with budgets of over 100 million that don't give me the same sense of action and adventure that this episode's storm sequence gave me. Stars is really shaming the competition right now. 

RIP Bald Pirate

The storm was a fantastic set-piece. I was tense, exciting and I think they really managed to capture just how scary something like that would be. Meanwhile, Blackbeard and Woodes Rogers are developing nicely. The show is off to a great start.

Jack's new coat is really nice.

It's always great to get some sailing action in this show and it delivered. It was brutal how bald guy drowned in effectively shallow water and good to see Silver actually care.

Flint killing people to save the crew was good too - I got the impression Billy understood this time around.

We all know Blackbeard is up to something but it should be cool to see it go down.

I find it interesting how CGI isn't hated so much when it's blended in with good action and real sets. There were plenty of obvious CGI but it seems most of us are cool with the limitations. I guess someone will turn up and decry it eventually.

Are there any good lip readers around to tell me what Miriam was saying?

9 minutes ago, red snow said:

I find it interesting how CGI isn't hated so much when it's blended in with good action and real sets. There were plenty of obvious CGI but it seems most of us are cool with the limitations. I guess someone will turn up and decry it eventually.

I had the exact same thought while watching ! It was obviously CGI enhanced, but you could feel the set, the presence of a real camera and the real conditions in which it was shot, and it was a perfect blend ! 

I was wide open the whole sequence ! That's some intense and clever CGI indeed !

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Are there any good lip readers around to tell me what Miriam was saying?

I was trying to figure it out. I noticed that the Death Figure Miranda was following looked almost exactly like the pirate actress playing the Death Figure in the mock trial act in Max's place in the first episode. I wish I could find a better picture than the following:

Screenshot-2016-01-24-01.45.56.png

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that weird black thing in his dream appeared to be similar to the get up the actress was who played "death" in episode 1. It was a bit disturbing in that I was tense about the face being revealed.

At least I can see why they've kept the actress playing Miriam on the titles. At first I thought it would be for flashbacks while this is a weirder use. I almost get the impression they've dropped flashbacks now. I appreciate the show not being chained to a given formula though.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

The Woods Rogers fleet stands out as some of the more obvious CGI. Having said that, obvious nowadays isn't that obvious, you know? And after watching how they constructed the storm scene I just have such an appreciation for how they bring the show together. They budget and build sets wisely, to me at least. And that's why the CGI just doesn't seem egregious or glaring. 

I'm actually glad that Eleanor gave Vane's name to Rodger's.... only because it's the only thing that would have made any sense.... if she gave Flint's name, they'd have to retcon a reason why she would do that.... since she was part of his plan to deliver the girl back to her father in the colonies... She and Vane had been at odds for the whole 2nd season....

A "swerve" is always nice, but it has to make sense.

11 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'm actually glad that Eleanor gave Vane's name to Rodger's.... only because it's the only thing that would have made any sense.... if she gave Flint's name, they'd have to retcon a reason why she would do that.... since she was part of his plan to deliver the girl back to her father in the colonies... She and Vane had been at odds for the whole 2nd season....

A "swerve" is always nice, but it has to make sense.

I agree - Flint doesn't really make sense as he would let Nassau rot if his plan ever changed (and I think his plan is simpy all-out war). Vane would fight to the death to keep Nassau though as it seems to be something he feels honour bound to.

Archived