Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, 3

I will keep on believing Tyrion is Tywin's true son while Jaime and Cersei are Aerys bastards.

I assume you didn't read TWoIaF? Because it gave credibility to A+J=T, while pretty much putting the idea that the twins aren't Tywin's to rest.

I like Davos more as a person (if that makes any sense), but I like Stannis more as a character

Yep. If I had to meet and converse with either one, it'd definitely be Davos. However, Davos is a bit bland to be honest, and Stannis is much more interesting to read about.

I like Davos more as a person (if that makes any sense), but I like Stannis more as a character

Lol it's funny, even in the most zealous era of my Stannis worship I have been through I've asked myself if I'd actually enjoy hanging out with Stannis in real life, and came to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't.

In fact I'd much rather hit up craft breweries with Edmure...and that might as well be my confession here.

Yep. If I had to meet and converse with either one, it'd definitely be Davos. However, Davos is a bit bland to be honest, and Stannis is much more interesting to read about.

Lol it's funny, even in the most zealous era of my Stannis worship I have been through I've asked myself if I'd actually enjoy hanging out with Stannis in real life, and came to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't.

In fact I'd much rather hit up craft breweries with Edmure...and that might as well be my confession here.

Agreed on both accounts

Pretty much this. Davos is pretty indisputably a great guy, but as a character, while there are some hints of a fascinating backstory, there really isn't a lot there. He doesn't think about himself all that much, which I think is part of what makes him such a good guy. Stannis on the other hand is a brilliantly contradictory character, and in my opinion probably the most human character in the books.

He has some great qualities, and he has some very bad ones. Sometimes his good qualities are over-abundant and lead to poor outcomes, and sometimes his bad qualities lead to relatively good outcomes. At times, he is righteous, committed to doing the right thing and fighting the good fight, and at other times, he is self-indulgent, giving in to his jealousy, or his anger, or his feelings of being slighted. Sometimes it's not clear whether he is doing the right things for the right reasons, or for the wrong reasons, and sometimes it's hard to tell whether he is doing bad things with good intentions, or if he is just surrendering to his lesser nature.

I really do think Stannis is one of the most irreconcilably grey, conflicted, and generally human characters in the series. He is terribly flawed, and that's what makes him so contradictory, and so fascinating.

Ren you are a true blue (and red) Edmure-Stan.

Edmure is quality

Damn right! I'm actually glad people are now letting the Light of the Floppy Fish into their hearts, because I don't think it was always like this. I remember there used to be a lot of threads about how Edmure was an idiot for not reading Robb's mind and things like that

The other day, I again found myself wondering why all of armies in Essos, besides the sellswords, seem to be stuck in the Bronze Age/early Iron Age, while Westeros armies are in the 15th century. Then I remembered something that the slavers said about the Unsullied: that they're the legions of Old Ghis come again, fighting in the manner of the Old Empire. In other words, the troops of the slaver cities, plus the identically-equipped troops in New Ghis, are explicitly based on an army that is thousands of years out of date. In-universe. And this is considered something worth bragging about in that corner of the world. This explains a lot about general incompetence of the non-mercenary, non-western Essos forces. Don't know why I hadn't made that connection until now.

Not a great Lord? He's probably one of the best. "They're my people, and they were scared" and all.

Silly Nictarion. Don't you know that actually keeping the feudal contract and using a castle for its intended purpose makes you an idiot?

In real life, id probably try punching Stannis for being a stubborn Republican. :V

What is up with this rash of Edmure stanning all the sudden? Im missing something. Unless derpdom is now an endearing trait.

Archived