Empathy for Villains

Sithis

I'm not saying Littlefinger is not a power-hungry backstabbing scumbag, but there's a (slight) chance that he betrayed Ned because he knew Stannis on the throne would be bad news (for some people)

Think about it: if Ned had gone along with his plan, Littlefinger would be practically Hand to Ned's Regent, the second most powerful person in the realm. Sure, the guy never got over Cat, but I think he would be willing to let bygones be bygones if it meant a Handship or anything similar

I like Roose more than Ramsay personally.

Ramsay is more overtly threatening, but you kind of know where you stand with him and how not to piss him off (don't call him Bastard). Roose is more cold-blooded and unpredictable, you just never know when he's on your side or when he's going to sell you out, as Robb learned to his sorrow and as Ramsay will learn.

I'm not saying Littlefinger is not a power-hungry backstabbing scumbag, but there's a (slight) chance that he betrayed Ned because he knew Stannis on the throne would be bad news (for some people)

Think about it: if Ned had gone along with his plan, Littlefinger would be practically Hand to Ned's Regent, the second most powerful person in the realm. Sure, the guy never got over Cat, but I think he would be willing to let bygones be bygones if it meant a Handship or anything similar

Stannis-avoidance was one of his many motivations. I doubt Cersei lets Ned stay Hand once Robert's out of the way though.

Despite Robb Stark being a damnable separatist and a rebel I can definietly see the symphatic aspects of him and understand why he drives for his cause. And on a personal level he is very likeable, just like his father, mother and siblings.

This is nice of you to say though he's not a villian.

Viserys Targaryen and I don't think of him as a villian. But he had a very hard life, he was old enough to see the destruction and ruin of his house and that damaged him so bad. He's GRRM's most sympathetic character besides Catelyn IMO.

Despite Robb Stark being a damnable separatist and a rebel I can definietly see the symphatic aspects of him and understand why he drives for his cause. And on a personal level he is very likeable, just like his father, mother and siblings.

Separatist and Rebel? Sure

Damnable? No. The North bowed to theDragons. There are no more Dragons in Westeros.

Besides, when one's father is murdered and one's sisters are held captive, violence is the only response worthy of a living thing.

Hahaha

As for the OP, I find Tywin, Roose and Cersei amazing characters, though I only had empathy for Tywin and Cersei, I don't quite know what to make of Roose Bolton. And I obviously have empathy for Melisandre (I've seen many people saying she is evil and vile).

I can empathize with LF becoming so dark on humanity after getting his chest cut open for loving someone elses betrothed.

I can empathize with Ramsay becoming even darker on humanity due to his birth, raising and early companions.

I find it difficult to empathize with Ned lying to his wife because his sister was a slapper.

I'm not sure who the villains are :D

Haha!

Oh and fuck Ramsay, that guy in the Golden Company has the right idea toward being concieved via rape, "my father was a Fossoway? Lets kill some Fossoways!"

Viserys Targaryen and I don't think of him as a villian. But he had a very hard life, he was old enough to see the destruction and ruin of his house and that damaged him so bad. He's GRRM's most sympathetic character besides Catelyn IMO.

I disagree but to each their own. And I most surely consider Robb an anti-villain.

Separatist and Rebel? Sure

Damnable? No. The North bowed to theDragons. There are no more Dragons in Westeros.

Besides, when one's father is murdered and one's sisters are held captive, violence is the only response worthy of a living thing.

Separatist and rebel, and damnable in both.

The North bowed to the Iron Throne and kept its head bowed for generations after the dragons died. Don't try with that bullshit on me.

I also said that I understand his reasoning for his cause and I hope I could do the same if I was him. BUT it still means that he was actively working to fracture the realm right before the coming of the Others and that he is putting his own personal need to uphold his honor before his people's need to make ready for winter. Make of that what you want.

Hahaha

As for the OP, I find Tywin, Roose and Cersei amazing characters, though I only had empathy for Tywin and Cersei, I don't quite know what to make of Roose Bolton. And I obviously have empathy for Melisandre (I've seen many people saying she is evil and vile).

I fail to see the funny part.

Haha!

Oh and fuck Ramsay, that guy in the Golden Company has the right idea toward being concieved via rape, "my father was a Fossoway? Lets kill some Fossoways!"

I felt sorry for Viserys. He was driven insane by the destruction of his house and constantly running away from Robert's hired knives. He was also constantly mocked by people calling him the Beggar King. There's also the Targaryen madness in him. He used to be nice to Daenerys until all that made him cruel to her. He got the crown though....

I felt sorry for Viserys. He was driven insane by the destruction of his house and constantly running away from Robert's hired knives. He was also constantly mocked by people calling him the Beggar King. There's also the Targaryen madness in him. He used to be nice to Daenerys until all that made him cruel to her. He got the crown though....

Yeah and than I look at the backstory of the Lannisters/Baratheons/Tullys/Greyjoys when they first appear in AGOT where they still have their status, homes, families, parents, etc... they're all in good positions and you see Viserys and see what was taken from him and how he lived to see it all and feel that loss and than I get so pissed when I hear people defending the behavior of people like Tywin, Jaime, Cersei, Tyrion, Robert, Joffery, Lysa, Renly, Stannis, etc and all I think is these people had it easy compared to the Smallfolk or Viserys.

I disagree but to each their own. And I most surely consider Robb an anti-villain.

Separatist and rebel, and damnable in both.

The North bowed to the Iron Throne and kept its head bowed for generations after the dragons died. Don't try with that bullshit on me.

I also said that I understand his reasoning for his cause and I hope I could do the same if I was him. BUT it still means that he was actively working to fracture the realm right before the coming of the Others and that he is putting his own personal need to uphold his honor before his people's need to make ready for winter. Make of that what you want.

You don't have empathy for Tywin, Jaime, Kevan and Cersei? I'm asking because of your avatar.

You don't have empathy for Tywin, Jaime, Kevan and Cersei? I'm asking because of your avatar.

I have lots and more empathy for the Lannisters than for pretty much anyone else. However I am capable of feeling empathy for both sides of a conflict, even with those opposing my point of view.

I find I sympathize most with the Hound and Viserys. (I won't say empathize, because I've never experienced anything close to what they went through).

The Hound went through unspeakable torture at the hands of his own brother, the one person who should have had his back and protected him, and instead did the exact opposite. It's hard for me to imagine what the psychological effects of that would be, but I can understand why it made the Hound the way he was/is.

As for Viserys, I can also understand what it's like to have everything that should have been yours taken away from you. (Again, not speaking from experience here.) After his brother's death, (and his brother's heirs), he should have been king. But that was stolen from him, along with almost all of his family. I can't imagine witnessing and experiencing that at such a young age, so it's hard to say that he should have done this, or it would have been better if he'd done that. And with the history of madness in his family, he didn't really have a big chance of coming out of it okay, did he? And while he eventually went mad, I still have a hard time swallowing the fact that Dany had a hand in killing her own brother. Viserys was acting out of desperation after so many years of working toward one goal. Was he abusive? Yes. Was he utterly mad? Yes. But can we blame him? I'm not so sure. I can't help thinking it would have been better if he'd known about the pact with Dorne all along, then maybe he wouldn't have gone as mad as he did. And there's always a possibility that someone from Dorne (perhaps Oberyn?) could have taken him under their wing and taught him to be a good ruler. Of all the characters from ASOIAF, I can't help feeling the most pity for Viserys.

Archived