GRRM considering big twist for a major character

A+J=T people. It's happening!

There's nothing in the show ruling this out, though. Some posters even contend that the show has reinforced the theory (since Tywin gives a long monologue about how he almost left Tyrion to die after his birth and saved his life because he's "a Lannister"). GRRM has said that the show has made decisions that preclude it.

He just recently considered this as a possibility

I think this means that we can rule out all of the major fan theories, since GRRM is undoubtedly familiar with all of them:

1. Coldhands is...(although I think GRRM has a pretty good notion of Coldhands' identity, given his emphatic "No" when asked by his editor whether it was Benjen)

2. Aegon is real/fake

3. Jojenpaste

4. Howland Reed is the High Sparrow

5. Cleganebowl

6. Tysha is the Sailor's Wife

7. Darkstar is...

8. Penny is Tyrion's daughter

etc. etc.

Maybe it has to do with Mance. It sounds like the show is really killing him off this season, and they had already changed his character quite a bit in the show. Obviously it can't be too big of a change, because GRRM must have already had some plans for each major player.

Another candidate could be Davos, a long-time character.

A couple differences between BookDavos and ShowDavos:

-BookDavos had seven sons, three of whom are still alive. ShowDavos had one son, who is dead.

-BookDavos is a man of Seven, while ShowDavos isn't.

-BookDavos lost his pouch of fingerbones, while ShowDavos still has it, I think.

-I imagine ShowDavos's story will be much different than BookDavos's in Dance, but that's just speculation.

It's a question if it would be in relation to the Stannis crew (Stannis, Mel...) or the Skagosi crew (Rickon, Osha, Wex, Wyman..) The show have also sent Rickon to Last Hearth rather than Skagos, though they could change this without too much difficulty if they wanted to.

No idea what the actual twist could be, just making a suggestion is all.

maybe Tyrion finds where whores go and Tysha? would affect Tyrion, Sansa, Dany?, the Twincesters? LF? His marriage to Sansa would no longer be valid. He might chase after Dany in Essos. He might just settle down in a nice little mance over there with his first love.

And why can this not happen in the show?

Tyrions story has not changed much.

Compared to the books, the show has not pointed to it at all either. My unsullied buddies do not consider Tyrion to be anyone other than Tywin's son.

A+J=T people think that the theory is as profound and planned as R+L=J. They show evidences from even AGoT. George said that he never thought of this twist before.

Well, some proponents of A+J=T believe that Martin planned this from the beginning. I'm not one of those. I feel that the clues planted in the books could equally point to Tyrion riding a dragon. Tyrion becoming Aerys son could be something that Martin has not considered before until now.

maybe Tyrion finds where whores go and Tysha? would affect Tyrion, Sansa, Dany?, the Twincesters? LF? His marriage to Sansa would no longer be valid. He might chase after Dany in Essos. He might just settle down in a nice little mance over there with his first love.

That's still possible for season 6/7. It was mentioned in the show that Tyrion was married to Tysha.

The Skagosi people and Osha can also be added in season 6, nothing really changed for that storyline.

I think this means that we can rule out all of the major fan theories, since GRRM is undoubtedly familiar with all of them:

1. Coldhands is...(although I think GRRM has a pretty good notion of Coldhands' identity, given his emphatic "No" when asked by his editor whether it was Benjen)

2. Aegon is real/fake

3. Jojenpaste

4. Howland Reed is the High Sparrow

5. Cleganebowl

6. Tysha is the Sailor's Wife

7. Darkstar is...

8. Penny is Tyrion's daughter < -----

etc. etc.

I really like no. 8. How does the timeline work with Penny being Tyrion's daughter? I remember reading that some posters thought Penny was pregnant because she was so tired. Tyrion didn't have sex with her, did he?

Has is ever occured to you guys that maybe he gave D and D the wrong ending or an alternate ending because he knew the show would overlap him and you know he knew by his release schedule.

So what if this is the case then what he is saying here is just a reminder that the show is not a book spoiler.

Nope, because that's not how contracts work. If he lied to them from the start they'll sue him and easily win lots and lots and lots of his money. I don't think he's stupid enough to not have realized that.

To me, this reads as a desperate ploy to try and distinguish the books from the show. Otherwise, why mention the show can't do it at all?

Nope, because that's not how contracts work. If he lied to them from the start they'll sue him and easily win lots and lots and lots of his money. I don't think he's stupid enough to not have realized that.

To me, this reads as a desperate ploy to try and distinguish the books from the show. Otherwise, why mention the show can't do it at all?

Even though I agree that the endings will almost certainly be the same I doubt there's any contractual element binding Martin to an ending. He should still maintain creative freedom of his work with two books remaining. It would also be pretty difficult for a court of law to distinguish the extent of which the ending or events surrounding it could be changed true to any agreement.

I think Martin absolutely could go with a different ending. I think he should. I don't think he will.

I get a really bad vibe from this interview. It sounds like he is going to rush the next book out if he only has a year's deadline.

You can clearly see he is changing parts just to spite the show and keep us readers interested in his ending.

Waiting years in between books is an ordeal but getting a rushed book is much worse. Even if he gets TWOW out he still needs to release ADOS before season 7. The man has completely messed everything up and he is panicking now. This could be a disaster.

GRRM isn't changing anything. He doesn't know what Winds of Winter and Dreams of Spring will be until he submits his final draft to the publisher. That means that show producers are going to be turning out to be increasing wrong about plots and characters, and not the other way around. All the show has is a general outline, some future complete chapters, some partial chapters, and lots of notes. The process of writing a novel, especially for a GRRM type writer, guarantees that the story will change as it is actually written. Sometimes your original idea must be changed to a better idea. It happens.

Next season will be known as the great diversion from the books. This could have all been avoided, or at least minimized, if the TV show would have stuck closer to the books in characterisation and plot, but they didn't, and they continued to change things, even minor things needlessly.

Archived