2015 Hugo Nominees

Ran

The traditional argument is whether the Hugo Awards should be reformed or taken out into the snow and shot dead. Can we add, "Nuked from orbit," as a new option?

Well, I suppose they just were shot dead. True, they were getting moribund for sometime, but after this nobody is going to treat them seriously.

And John C Wright a record 6 times (at least he used to be competent at one point).

I liked some of his early things a lot, but this new stuff (published by Vox Day himself) is rather awful - full of cloying sentimentality typical for bad Christian fiction.

Man, almost nothing I nominated made it on the list thanks to another ridiculous sad puppy slate. The Leckie is good, though I didn't nominate it since she won last year. Butcher is okay, but definitely not Hugo worthy. You know, I've liked some of Torgersen's work, but his recent collection was disappointing and now he's whining about the sad state of genre fandom so pfft. I think the Hugo is still worth something, but of course it comes down to the same problem we always have: getting enough people to nominate and vote.

And Vox Day is turning out to be a damn cockroach like St*nck. When the sun goes into it's red phase and Earth is a burnt husk, these two buttholes will be the last living things mucking around in the dirt.

Well I guess I'll have to finally check The Goblin Emperor out. I am, uh, not a fan of some of her other work, but hey, why not.

Still baffled no City of Stairs.

Yay Mixon though.

read up on what happened in the nominating process, there isn't much to be baffled about to be honest.

The traditional argument is whether the Hugo Awards should be reformed or taken out into the snow and shot dead. Can we add, "Nuked from orbit," as a new option?

It's the only way to be sure.

Edit: Are Butcher and Anderson actually, uh, politically and er, uh, hmm...oh ill just Darth Richard it.

Are Butcher and Anderson religious right wing assholes? Or were they jut chosen because for name recognition.

Well, yes, but aren't you the one who recommend the Night Circus? That books prose literately gave me a migraine.:P

Snark aside, not sure I necessarily disagree, it's rare for me to read books the year they're actually published but I actually did read a lot of 2014's books, and...yeah.

Also let's be honest. Banks was only NOMINATED ONCE. So, fuck the Hugo!

Without delving too deeply into it, a lot of the authors/creators nominated by the Sad Puppy/Rabid Puppy slates have absolutely nothing to do with the ideology driving those campaigns, and probably in several cases are pretty disgusted by their own inclusion. So I wouldn't take the inclusion of any given author on either slate as a sign of anything besides "some people who suck like good books."

EDIT: I mean, one of the slates nominated an episode of GoT, y'know?

It's important to remember that political ideology is only one side of the 'sad puppy' phenomenon. They don't just have a bee in their bonnet about liberals: they have a bee in their bonnet about 'literary' SF as well. Hence, their support for stuff like Butcher, which is seen as being what the ordinary SF fans like, rather than more 'worthy' literary stuff.

I suspect when the detailed figures come out, you'll find that the problem here is at root a symptom of an actual Good Thing ™. The trouble is, non-sad puppy voters are divided, simply because there is so much good stuff getting published and it is so easy to find. The votes for short story, in particular, have been incredibly widely distributed for some years now. That's the positive side of this fiasco.

EDIT: I mean, one of the slates nominated an episode of GoT, y'know?

For some of last seasons episodes that is utterly unsurprising.

This is hilarious.

John C. Wright with 6 nominations.

I tried to sample the puppy ballot a month ago and read one of his stories, or more precisely, the older shorter version of this story which I had at hand since it was published in 2009 in F&SF (judging by the Amazon sample, the difference seem not that big) and I didn't feel like giving 3 bucks to a total wackjob. It's mind-bogglingly bad. It's so naive and dumb it hurts. It's some sort of "Narnia with the characters grown-up" homage/rip-off where the noble main character fight the evil guys in the most cliched and most naive way possible. It seems like a parody at first but you quickly realise everything is played straight and it's just painfully cliched throughout.

Of course, nobody voted for it in 2010. I wonder why. Oh, wait, I know, the liberal literati conspiracy...

Also Larry Correia's book was also nominated, but he declined the nomination. Which means there probably were 4 Puppies choices in the Top 5. LOL.

BTW, how much of a sheep should you be to pay 50 bucks and vote for a list someone else made? This is such a joke...

Well, the basic idea of more fun scifi or more whatever political agenda you support isn't a bad one. But then they go and nominate their own works and destroy any integrity they may have had. It basically comes across as(and is) a bunch of butthurt scifi authors who can't acceot trust work is pure shit.

Fun scifi, ok, I'm not a Dresden fan by any means but that at least makes sense. But all those Wright noms? I don't think so.

I liked the stuff Wright wrote before he went insane and started to talking to angels...

Seriously, read his blog post where he talks about why he converted to Catholicism. It's truly a glimpse into the inner workings of someone going through a mental breakdown.

Archived