2015 Hugo Nominees

Ran

Are any of the short fiction noms free online? I should read them before I trash talk them -- we ask that people do this with the shit we like; it's only fair we extend their shit the same courtesy. But I won't give Castalia House money. It doesn't appear that any are available, but I thought I'd ask just in case I'm missing something.

If you have a Worldcon membership, they'll probably appear in the voter packet when that comes out.

Are any of the short fiction noms free online? I should read them before I trash talk them -- we ask that people do this with the shit we like; it's only fair we extend their shit the same courtesy. But I won't give Castalia House money. It doesn't appear that any are available, but I thought I'd ask just in case I'm missing something.

If there has ever been a case for justified book piracy, surely this is it. ;)

So, talking about something else besides the dog-based silliness for a moment:

The thing that actually stood out the most to me was that somehow the pilot for The Flash had got nominated.

Seriously wtf? It's easily the crappiest episode of the entire show so far.

Hahahaha....will the Hugos ever not be comedy gold?!

I went to the Kaffeeklatsch with Jim Butcher at Eastercon today, none of us dared or cared to ask for a statement concerning hs nomination, but he got to the topic himself, and says he's extremely excited about the nomination (and fears he might have to wear a suit to the ceremony). No puppies were mentioned though. While I do really like the Dresden Files, Skin Game is not the best of them. It's good fun, but not extremely noteworthy for the series.

There was a spontaneous panel on the whole mess yesterday evening, where the consensus was mostly to vote no award in every category taken over by puppies, without even reading the material. The quote "we are at war" was heard. It was pretty scary.

she is the editor and publisher for both Correia and Torgersen. I don't think its fair to expect her to speak out against her own brand.

Voting against her for having awful taste seems entirely reasonable, though...

Oh, absolutely, Weisskopf doesn't need block voting help to get on the ballot. I recall seeing her name on Hugo shortlists numerous times before Sad Puppies was ever even a glimmer of a thing, and deservedly so: a lot of the stuff she publishes is not my bag, but my understanding is that she edits and publishes it with exceptional skill and care, and engages with her imprint's fans incredibly well. Plus Vorkossigan, which has got to count for something. My contention isn't that she shouldn't be on the shortlist, not at all, nor is it that she should turn down nominations. I just think it's not in super good taste, as a professional, to countenance your name being put forward by an organized block voting campaign. I don't see how asking that this not be done would constitute "voting against her own brand." Authors often, in my experience, put in a general recommendation for their editors' hard work round Hugo time [Martin's posted recommending Groell, Rothfuss has done the same for Wolheim, etc.] They say things like "I'd urge you to consider X; my book wouldn't have been near as good as it was without her/his input." I think that's awesome. If the authors Weisskopf publishes were to do that I would think it was just as awesome, and likewise if she recommended their individual works in similar ways. This block-voting is very much not that, and so asking not to be included in it would by extension also not be the same as some imaginary mirror universe version of Weisskopf "voting against her own brand" by posting things like "don't vote for Torgerson's Chaplain's War; I published it but for some reason I now think it's hippo shit," which I agree would be kind of dumb.

I've never paid much attention to the Hugos in the past but reading this thread puts me in the interesting emotional state of being appalled and amused at the same time.

Question: If one were to pay the $40 membership fee within the next week, could one vote on this year's Hugos, or is it impossible to become a voter on this slate after it's been announced?

Wert,

Yeah, that's rather disturbing. My only exposure to Anderson are the novels that don't really exist. I'd neber nominate him.

Well, at least they didn't nominate one of those abortions he co-writes with Brian Herbert.

Brian must have really hated his dad to shit all over the Dune legacy (Herbert managed to a bit of that before he died)

For all the Kevin J. Anderson fans here, check out this from Brad Torgersen, this year's main Puppy guy:

Charlie Jane seems to be ignoring the many authors on the SP3 slate who have never before received even a single Hugo award nomination, including venerable greats like Kevin J. Anderson — the long slighting of one of the field’s titans has finally ended!

https://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/peasants/

And he doesn't seem to be trolling. He also thinks the Hugos are way too literary which cracks me up.

I liked all of the Dune novels with the exception of Dune:Messiah

The last one (Heretics?) was a little stilted. Duncan Idaho as a fuck machine?

But what Anderson and Herbert fils did is without conscience.

All I want to do at this point is weep. Having flashbacks of reading that fucking Torgerson short story last year before I heard what the agenda was (holy fuck it was awful). Nuke the fucking Hugos from orbit.

Another author turned down a nomination :

Authors nominated on the Puppies' slates have been turning down the nominations. Dave Creek, author of novella The Jenregar and the Light, posted on Facebook: "being linked to Larry Correia makes me uncomfortable, and I wouldn’t want to be in the same room with Theodore Beale."

For all the Kevin J. Anderson fans here, check out this from Brad Torgersen, this year's main Puppy guy:

https://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/peasants/

And he doesn't seem to be trolling. He also thinks the Hugos are way too literary which cracks me up.

Dude, did you read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire? I had to keep a dictionary next to me the whole time!

Another author turned down a nomination :

That post looks to be from February, which means he declined to be on the slate (rather than turning down an actual Hugo nomination). It's still notable, don't get me wrong. I just want to be sure I understand the timing. :)

Archived