Season 5 Impressions

Westeros

^They have only one scene in the first four eps. from what I've gathered. I imagine their characterization will evolve from that point because Jessica Henwick has said that their demeanors are as different from one another as you describe above.

It's gotten to be an old problem with the show. I have said this before. George has written 1000 lbs of prose narrative that is being pounded into a 10 lb (10 hr) visual narrative bag.

In fact I detect that D&D have their hands so full with everything production wise that the teleplays are not all as honed as they should be. At this point I think they should bring in even more writers and let Cogman and Hill work with them.

Being limited to only 30 hours more of show with an uncountable number if characters has been skewing things and , it seems, will only get worse.

Hopefully GRRM will not create any more major characters!

After ep 2 we'll be able to discuss a bit how I think they could have done things in the same space of time and same number of scenes while still presenting the characters as actors with their own initiative rather than B-movie girl goons acting as muscle for someone else.

After ep 2 we'll be able to discuss a bit how I think they could have done things in the same space of time and same number of scenes while still presenting the characters as actors with their own initiative rather than B-movie girl goons acting as muscle for someone else.

When will the season 5 thread open?

I have to say that in 50 years of being a fan of good science fiction and fantasy prose I rarely see these genres treated with a seriousness that translates the spirit of the best stuff to TV or film. In fact science fiction is so identified with it's TV and film presentations that , seems, most people don't know there is a prose form! Especially noticeable when film ideas are adapted from other film and TV productions. Most of the top of the line science fiction prose source material lies fallow.

I was surprised when New Line gave Peter Jackson 300 million to make LoTR ... I knew Jackson was good, but did not know he would hew so close to the spirit of Tolkien (if not the 'letter' in detail).

I quite pleased with this adaptation of ASoIaF ,no matter the deviations, there is a whole new generation of visual drama makers , such as Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro who actually embrace fantasy ... god! I have seen enough crap adaptations in the last 50 years!

So, I guess, Sansa is going to play "Arya-Jeyne" and be married and rape/bedded after a warmup by theon to Ramsay. IF they pull this crap, I will throw up.

This makes no sense at all, as even if they are planning to marry "Alayne" to Ramsay the Heir for Sansa to annull her marriage to Tyrion she needs to be fit for inspection so to speak so the High Septon can annull it

The prospect of marriage is useful to LF, if only to get Sansa into WF in show terms to enact a plan to "screw the Boltons"

In terms of the books the HtH proposal is a fake-out by LF IMO and it won't end up happening, the essence stays the same, to get the full political use out of Sansa Stark she needs to be kept a virgin.

Of course there is some signs of empowerment within Sansa, she starts changing things within LF agenda by the end of Alayne chapter with regards to how she is handling HtH (and genuinely winning him over to her personally and not LF/Waynwood agenda - an important distinction), and she is even using/reflecting on her marriage to Tyrion as a shield to protect against unwanted overtures so the beginnings of twisting that unfortunate debacle to her advantage

For the TV show, the prospect of rather than an actual marriage to Ramsay makes sense, it can drag on in the air ala Marge and Joffrey in S3 and Cersei and Loras in S4. I generally have an open mind about adaptions but not when they crucify the political intrigue aspects, the show will become far inferior to the books if they merely focus on "Dragons and Titties" (basically the novel bloody violence and nudity), it's already tricky enough they are taking some of the deeper meaningful stuff out of it

Wouldn't be surprised given the "Yunaki has given into our demands" plotline coming to an end in the show if they go from a ridiculous LF has no backup plan so relies on Malefisansa crying to the Vale Lords and turns into "shall we go" extremity, to another where she is a pawn. It only works if she is "turning into a player" if she manages to stall the wedding, or twist the situation to her own personal advantage somehow (which can be done thematically via Reek)

So whats happening on this forum for the next four weeks. It will be very hard to discuss single episodes every week without others chiming in about the next ones.

It will be like a family dinner where you know one of your sisters is banging the other sister's husband, but you can't say anything about it.

RELATIVE SPOILERS!

Jesus FUCK at the E4 ending. Red Wedding is a little baby compared to this. Can't wait to watch it in HD again.

Great string of episodes with one, maybe two scenes of cringeworthy writing and delivery, no biggie there. Stannis and Jon Snow especially are killing it. Jon is such a suave badass now.

There's a moment in E3 with the Chinese Red Priest throwing a stare at Tyrion that will send chills down your spine, guaranteed.

Why must TV be dumbed down so much? As if people who read never watch TV and vice versa. The omissions and changes feel to me like they have been made for 2 main reasons:

1. So that the show will be easier to follow for casual fans / non book readers.

2. To save money on actors and CGI.

I can understand this up to a point because of the great scope and fantastic nature of the series, but what I cant deal with so easily is that I feel like we have reached a point where almost none of the rich dialogue and witty banter from the books is finding it's way on screen. The writing is getting worse progressively as they stray further from the source material. The dialogue between Varys and Tyrion for example felt forced and uninspired as it tries to beat us over the head to progress the story line with no subtlety. As for the rest I must say it was much the same and I was also underwhelmed. I can try to understand the changes for the first two points I mentioned but why does the writing have to feel so cheesy?

Well I've only watched episode 1 and will definitely give it a chance to pick up speed since I've heard crazy things will happen through ep 4 (although I'm trying to avoid spoilers ) and am in agreement that there is massive material too much to cover with the limitations adaptations require. Just felt like the writing is not as rich this season? Could be feeling the absence of GRRM?

Respect your opinion and hope I will come to share it in time. I really don't want to hate on the show, after all I was only inspired to read the novels after season 2. So I'm hoping for the best.

Archived