What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

35 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Roast dinners are simple but nice as long as they are done right. If this friend of yours omits the Yorkshire puddings, or *shudders* uses frozen, you should cut them out of your life. Immediately.

Its also all too common for roast dinners to be spoiled by people over cooking the veg until it's a soft and tasteless mush. Such a simple meal, that so many manage to spoil. I do love a good roast dinner though. 

I found the use of pudding pretty weird but then I researched it. He talked about them having to rise so I'm assuming he made them himself.

3 minutes ago, Knute said:

I found the use of pudding pretty weird but then I researched it. He talked about them having to rise so I'm assuming he made them himself.

Yeah they aren't really puddings in the normal sense of the word. And if he is talking about them having to rise I imagine yes he's making them from scratch :cheers: 

15 hours ago, Inigima said:

Hypothetically, if you were to host a Mexican food brunch, what would you make? We throw American-food ones occasionally and have a decent variety of food -- eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, tater tots, cinnamon rolls, sometimes smoothies. What would be appropriate for a cultural shift to the south? I have no actual plans to do this, although that doesn't mean I won't in the future.

Juevos rancheros

52 minutes ago, wolverine said:

Juevos rancheros

^^This.  Your eggs should be poached, that's hard for a brunch, but you can cook them to order and prep everything else the night before except for the bread if you're serving toast.  Not necessary because of the rice, but people like toast.

9 hours ago, wolverine said:

Juevos rancheros

Sure. Or chilaquiles, which might be more conducive to large batch prep, especially if you scramble the eggs. 

This is but one, and not entirely 'traditional' version. http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-bean-chilaquiles-with-avocado-queso-fresco-recipes-from-the-kitchn-11844

Or Tex-Mexico migas.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/how-to-make-tex-mex-migas-scrambled-eggs-tortilla-breakfast.html

Or maybe a southwest spiced skakshuka with tortilla and avocado on the side. Maybe some jalapeño cornbread. 

On March 30, 2016 at 6:56 AM, Inigima said:

Hypothetically, if you were to host a Mexican food brunch, what would you make? We throw American-food ones occasionally and have a decent variety of food -- eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, tater tots, cinnamon rolls, sometimes smoothies. What would be appropriate for a cultural shift to the south? I have no actual plans to do this, although that doesn't mean I won't in the future.

Perfect time to braise some pork butt!

now I'm tempted to plan out a Mexican brunch...

5 hours ago, Knute said:

The roast dinner was nice but there was a hella lot of gravy. Is that normal? The pudding was used as a cup or something :D

Gravy is life. You find the further north you go, the more gravy becomes the appropriate accompaniment to...anything. Cheesy chips and gravy is a rather glorious one. 

Although in my family we usually just leave people to put on their own gravy.

5 hours ago, Knute said:

The roast dinner was nice but there was a hella lot of gravy. Is that normal? The pudding was used as a cup or something :D

Yes, that's pretty normal. I've always used yorkshire pudding as a vessel for gravy - the pudding is tasty itself, but it's all about the gravy.

Made a whole turkey for a single friend who won the turkey at bingo.  Followed Anne Burrell's instructions as this was my first turkey.  Not really much bigger than lots of the chickens I have roasted though.  Brined the turkey and the drippings were fricking insane.  Bird stayed pretty moist. 

We had salmon with dill (of course), rice, and salad.  It was just okay.  I overcooked the friggin' salmon. . . I HATE WHEN I DO THAT.  It dries the sucker out, whereas when it's slightly undercooked, it's moist and delicious.  Damn it!

We're having friends over on Saturday and I'm going to make Cincinnati chili - 3-way.  For inquiring minds, it's spiced (secret spices!) chili with beans, onions, served over pasta, sprinkled with shredded cheese which melts into it.  It's yummy-licious, but very filling.  I figured this would be an easy do-ahead dinner so I can visit with them and drink and not screw everything up.

So last night we have friends over for dinner, right?  Granted, we haven't seen them in around a year, so I haven't kept up on details, but I make Cincinnati Chili, which is spiced chili over spaghetti, sprinkled with shredded Colby or cheddar cheese.  Hearty meal.  Told them about it ahead of time.

Turns out my girlfriend can't eat dairy, so no cheese, and is on a gluten-free diet, so she brings her own pasta.  :bang:

On 4/10/2016 at 10:14 AM, Tears of Lys said:

So last night we have friends over for dinner, right?  Granted, we haven't seen them in around a year, so I haven't kept up on details, but I make Cincinnati Chili, which is spiced chili over spaghetti, sprinkled with shredded Colby or cheddar cheese.  Hearty meal.  Told them about it ahead of time.

Turns out my girlfriend can't eat dairy, so no cheese, and is on a gluten-free diet, so she brings her own pasta.  :bang:

That sucks.  Do you have leftovers?  I would eat the shit out of that, cheese and noodles and all.

We had venison loin on the grill.  Left the loin in long logs about 2 by 2 inches so they were a little more uniform.  One was from the end and one more from the center so that was cut lengthwise.  Slap on some olive oil and sprinkle in my holy quad, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, and then grill fairly high early.  Reduce heat and finish medium rare to rare.  It was super tender and delicious.  Venison really is great if people have it cared for and prepared right.  Several times we have had people over claiming they "do not like venison" and then they don't believe what they are eating is venison because it is too good.

7 minutes ago, wolverine said:

That sucks.  Do you have leftovers?  I would eat the shit out of that, cheese and noodles and all.

We had venison loin on the grill.  Left the loin in long logs about 2 by 2 inches so they were a little more uniform.  One was from the end and one more from the center so that was cut lengthwise.  Slap on some olive oil and sprinkle in my holy quad, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, and then grill fairly high early.  Reduce heat and finish medium rare to rare.  It was super tender and delicious.  Venison really is great if people have it cared for and prepared right.  Several times we have had people over claiming they "do not like venison" and then they don't believe what they are eating is venison because it is too good.

Well, her husband gorged on it. :lol:

Your story reminds me of many years ago when my brother offered me what I thought was the most delicious roast beef I'd ever had in my life.  Turned out it was venison.  :P   It was twice as ridiculous of me because for the longest time I swore I would not eat Bambi.  So I guess he tricked me, but in the end, I didn't care.

16 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Well, her husband gorged on it. :lol:

Your story reminds me of many years ago when my brother offered me what I thought was the most delicious roast beef I'd ever had in my life.  Turned out it was venison.  :P   It was twice as ridiculous of me because for the longest time I swore I would not eat Bambi.  So I guess he tricked me, but in the end, I didn't care.

Well, to be fair, a lot of people are their own shitty butchers and prepare meat poorly.  Hence, the poor reputation of some wild game.  I don't know if you were averse to venison because it came from BAMBI or if it was the taste though.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived