What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 7:08 AM, Leap said:

Last night I made a risotto with onion (does that go without saying?),mushroom, bell pepper, jalepeno, garlic and chorizo. I added some hot paprika but otherwise didn't add any spices/herbs. Mostly stock used, but I did add some 'borrowed' red wine. 

Consumed in wraps with grated strong white cheddar and sriracha dribbled on top (just a bit, that shit is way hotter when not mixed into pasta sauce). 

Verdict: not bad. It's been a while since I made a risotto, but at least this time I remembered to use a reasonable amount of rice. Still some leftovers though. 

Every made risotto croquettes (little fried rice balls) from leftovers?  I never have, but have heard tell they're pretty awesome.

Tonight we had scraps - twigs and leaves.  No.  seriously. 

(at least it seemed that way.)

8 minutes ago, Leap said:

I haven't, no, but that sounds awesome. I nearly always have leftovers though, so next time I will give this a try - thanks.

For some absurd reason this week, I've had the notion that I need to start eating healthier. So for the last few days I've been eating these weird minced pork, beans (chilli, three-bean ones that I don't recall) and spinach wraps. They are alright, although the decision to add some chopped tomatoes yesterday was definitely a bad one. Sriracha made them a lot more interesting. 

I'm not really sure how healthy pork mince (I suppose I should look at the label) is on the spectrum of ''healthy'', but it's definitely healthier than the pasta binge that's been ongoing since march. And I know spinach is definitely good for you - I've seen popeye.

Not sure how it holds up in terms of healthy eating but I rather like using turkey mince from time to time as it makes a change from using beef mince all of the time (which i usually find of really poor quality in supermarkets anyway). Works best in pasta dishes imo. You get turkey mince pretty much anywhere these days too which is helpful.

Simmered some boneless thicken thigh, haricot verts, yellow onion, green bell pepper, minced garlic and ginger in a mixture of coconut milk seasoned with salt, pepper, some green curry paste my friend brought me from a marketplace in bangkok, thailand, and a little fish sauce, garnished with fresh basil. 

Verdict: it's fucking delicious, damnnnn B)

10 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

Simmered some boneless thicken thigh, haricot verts, yellow onion, green bell pepper, minced garlic and ginger in a mixture of coconut milk seasoned with salt, pepper, some green curry paste my friend brought me from a marketplace in bangkok, thailand, and a little fish sauce, garnished with fresh basil. 

Verdict: it's fucking delicious, damnnnn B)

:sulks:  Now I want boneless thicken thigh.  Not poking fun, I'm just imagining a magic chicken that makes it's own roux.  That sounds awesome.  I haven't cooked Thai for the new roomies, but this recipe sounds like a good start.  Sans fancy curry paste.  I have some stuff from the market here.

Pure cost efficiency question: I've been buying bone-I'm chicken thighs because they're SUPER cheap, like 99c/lb. obviously some of that weight is bone. Boneless is available, but more expensive -- I think last time I looked it was double, 1.99/lb. Which is the more cost-effective? Are there other factors (e.g., does the bone improve flavor, anything like that)?

1 hour ago, Inigima said:

Pure cost efficiency question: I've been buying bone-I'm chicken thighs because they're SUPER cheap, like 99c/lb. obviously some of that weight is bone. Boneless is available, but more expensive -- I think last time I looked it was double, 1.99/lb. Which is the more cost-effective? Are there other factors (e.g., does the bone improve flavor, anything like that)?

Some quick googling tells me that the edible portion of bone-in chicken thighs is about 65% by weight - so if that figure is correct (trust yahoo answers at your own peril), it is more cost effective, albeit not dramatically so. I'd assume that the presence of the bone could only help the robustness of the flavor, as well. However, convenience is also a factor. I hate de-boning chickens and I don't like bones present in the various things I like to cook, so I prefer the boneless thighs. Also, they seem pretty flavorful and tender to me as they are!

2 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

:sulks:  Now I want boneless thicken thigh.  Not poking fun, I'm just imagining a magic chicken that makes it's own roux.  That sounds awesome.  I haven't cooked Thai for the new roomies, but this recipe sounds like a good start.  Sans fancy curry paste.  I have some stuff from the market here.

Lol, I don't know how "fancy" it is but it is definitely authentic and legit as shit. I've tried more generic/big name brand pastes from the grocery store near me, like Thai Kitchen brand, and they aren't very good. You can get what I've heard are some good pastes on amazon for a good price though.

http://www.amazon.com/Mae-Ploy-Green-Curry-Paste/dp/9742356831 Is supposed to be pretty good ($6.45 per 14oz jar).

http://www.amazon.com/Maesri-Thai-Green-Curry-Paste/dp/B005NU0B60 Is supposed to be one of the best, but is more expensive than the one in the first link ($8 per two 4 oz tins). 

Both brands also offer yellow, red, panang and masaman pastes. 

For dark meat with chicken, I always prefer cooking with the bone. I will sometimes go boneless while using a breast, but that is only when I am stuffing it with something. Almost any meat is going to taste better with inclusion of the bone in my personal opinion. 

slow roasted duck, honey glazed carrots and potato pancakes. Was cross because I thought I had Szechuan peppers but didn't. Made a tasty rub of cinnamon, cloves, garlic, dried chili pepper and smoked paprika. Used the giblets to make a sauce which I deglazed the roasting pan with (after removing most of the fat). Was really excellent.

On March 5, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Inigima said:

Kind of depends on what you use them for. If you are going to remove the bones before cooking or not use them for a stock or something, you're probably better off just buying the boneless.

The bone is going to add more of a mouth feel/umami taste than a really distinctive flavor. And you'll generally need to cook it low and slow to get the most out of it. Braise the lord!

Smoked country style pork ribs.  They turned out freaking great.  Rubbed and smoked at about 200 for a couple hours.  Sauced them and cooked in foil another 45 minutes.  Could have grilled them to really caramelize the sauce but did not have time.  Still fantastic.

Shepard's pie ( but with beef... So cowherd's pie? Doesn't sound as good)

mrs lobster made some the other night-- her first time making it and it was absolutely killer, so trying to see if I can one-up hers. Mine will be topped with mashed potato-celeriac combo, and a few other tweaks.

Edit: whoa, just noticed a big ass cut on my knuckle... So with a likely addition of human blood. Fucking metal

7 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Shepard's pie ( but with beef... So cowherd's pie? Doesn't sound as good)

mrs lobster made some the other night-- her first time making it and it was absolutely killer, so trying to see if I can one-up hers. Mine will be topped with mashed potato-celeriac combo, and a few other tweaks.

Edit: whoa, just noticed a big ass cut on my knuckle... So with a likely addition of human blood. Fucking metal

Shepherd's pie with beef is cottage pie I think. Or so I have always been told.

27 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Shepherd's pie with beef is cottage pie I think. Or so I have always been told.

You know, I'm fairly certain I had been made aware of that in the not-too-distant past. And yet, I never seem to remember it. That's what you get for cooking on acid I guess. Also, I blame my parents. They just called this shepards pie.

Archived