What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

My new housemates have been cooking up a storm.  They got pretty comfortable while I was gone, I was glad to see it.  We're trying to combine three kitchens worth of stuff and it's a little(totally) chaotic, but it gets a little better every day.

They made a slow-cook pot roast and I made potato leek soup with some frozen stock.   Two of us cooked while the others were at work, it was nice to have the company.  I think we can actually set up a cooking / grocery rotation that's going to work.  So far we haven't ever run out of milk, coffee, paper towels or dishsoap.  I usually cook for 6 anyway and it looks like they do too.

Anyone have some good vegetarian recipes, or places to get good vegetarian recipes?  The only one I have is for Brazilian stew, but I need at least 3-4 more excellent main dishes to round out my repertoire.

I make a soup that is much like this.  http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1612960-Rosemary-Ginger-Vegetable-Soup

Black bean tacos are very easy and flexible.  Once the black beans are made and the tortillas are toasted, you can top them with anything.  There's dozens of recipes for cooking black beans available online.

Edit:  Being lazy, I make my black beans vegetarian, just sautee peppers and chopped onion, add the beans, add cayenne pepper, cumin and paprika to taste.  If you use canned beans they won't need salt.

Risotto is your friend. Mushroom risotto can be amazing. I like an asparagus and crab one too which I'm sure you could leave the crab out of if required.

Also tortilla with potatoes and onions.

Risotto is your friend. Mushroom risotto can be amazing. I like an asparagus and crab one too which I'm sure you could leave the crab out of if required.

Also tortilla with potatoes and onions.

When KissedByFire and I are in Ireland at the end of September, would you like to eat out somewhere or eat in? A night out away from your sweetling might be a nice break, but we don't want to stress you out either. We could pick up something and come over, if you'd like. :)

Kissed is a vegetarian, reading about your risotto put me in mind of it. I'm sure you could recommend some place for the three of us to meet, and it could be lunch, or dinner, and Mr. Deedles is welcome as well. But I suppose someone would have to be with your little sweetheart. :)

I'm not sure. I'd love to host you both (genuinely) and veggie wouldn't be an issue, but then baba could be grizzly. I'm fairly public transport friendly . We might leave it a while to make a final decision? I'm looking forward to seeing you!

Soup season is upon us again!

2 roasted carnival squashes, 1/2 a tart apple, 1 smallish onion. The seeds and guts from the squashes, the apple core, the onion skin and a few odd bits of produce from my fridge made for a pretty nice stock, too.

Well, I think I'm getting the hand of this cooking vegetarian stuff.  Made her entire house a huge thing of homemade pesto pasta, where I had to improvise the sauce a bit since they didn't have any fresh garlic, onions, or milk.  There were no leftovers.  Also cooked up some breakfast for dinner since eggs are apparently ok, so a couple of veggie omelets were perfect.  Veggie soup and chili are next on the list since it's finally starting to cool off a bit.

we are still eating leftover smoked meatloaf (the recipe and pictures are here) and the smoked beans I made.  Fried chicken this weekend.  8 days at the con and I'm still not back on a solid cooking routine. :)  Of course I was out most this past weekend, so I can't complain about those great meals.

Last week I made chili, which I ate all week.

This weekend I wanted to make white chili, using ground turkey, but the grocery store I went to on Sunday had no turkey left, so I bought organic ground chicken instead. And I decided to make a white and red chili, adding a can of crushed tomatoes to my chicken. Very very tasty.

Interesting that I've never been in this thread before, but I also made chili today for my dad who's visiting. But that's not what I'm here to post about.

I'm more than a bit tipsy right now on account of losing badly a ping-pong challenge against my aforementioned dad and BF (in my defense, I'm fucking great at ping-pong but I had to play lefty) that involved taking a shot after every set.

Anyways, with the rest of the house asleep (lucky fuckers) I didn't want to bother reheating the Chili or risk eating too much and not leaving enough for the season opener tomorrow (everyone knows leftover chili is the best chili) so I dug into our new refrigerator and found a couple pieces of Pizza from Monday that I probably would have thrown out tomorrow. Luckily I decided to pop that shit in the oven because it's fucking tasty! I've never really liked second-day pizza, but I guess third-day pizza is the magic number. It's crunchy without being weird and flavorful without being greasy.

Your Pony Queen has spoken. :P

Archived