What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

Fresh ribeye steaks from a half a steer we just had butchered from a local farmer.  Potatoes on the grill as well and a salad from our garden spinach.  Washed down with lots of beer.  Finished putting steel on a barn roof and needed to celebrate.

Question for you knowledgable folks.

Tonight I made duck burgers (duck, spring onion, plum, soy sauce, honey, breadcrumbs). Absolutely delicious, big fan and will make them again. I'm not happy with what I served them with though, bearnaise sauce, lightly fried new potatoes, side salad.

The bearnaise just didn't complement the burgers. So, what would you serve then with?

Hmm... the duck burgers have a really Asian food feel to them. How about a bean curd & peanut salad (not really a salad, but a nice side dish.) Marbled tea eggs? Marinated veggies in white vinegar, sugar, salt, and chili pepper? How about sesame eggplant salad?

Or you could have the duck burgers with "Ants climbing a tree" - bean threads with reconstituted dried mushrooms, ginger, garlic, finely chopped pork, and hot bean sauce?

I don't know if anything there appeals to you, but if you're interested in any of them, I can spell out more detailed recipes. Or maybe you'll just be inspired to branch out from these suggestions and come up with something on your own.

Hope it helps!

What's in those crepes, we wonders...

I made them a few days ago on a whim for my girlfriend, who is injured. I didn't have time to make much of anything, so I was going to go for a silly school lunch theme and make one peanut butter and one jelly, but she got out of the shower before I did and vetoed that. We ended up with one peanut butter and banana, and one with fresh peaches in.

First beef roast from the steer we had butchered.  Roasts are so great since the leftovers get to be made into delicious savory foods as well.

Had a couple pork belly tacos at lunch yesterday that were very yummy.  Pork seems to have way to low of opinion by many in this country.  

Gas means the sauce is still fermenting. Either you didn't let it ferment long enough (assuming you're making a fermented sauce) or you weren't sanitary enough when you cooked & bottled it (assuming you're making a nonfermented sauce) or both.

Either way you can stop fermentation by a) pasteurization (most reliable) or B) altering the PH of the sauce (easiest).

To alter the PH, just add a bunch of distilled vinegar until you get the PH to below 5. This will stop any random bacterial fermentation. If you're still getting gas after that, it means you have a yeast infection (heh) or a really tricky souring bacteria, like lactobacillus. You should be able to solve that by getting the PH down below 3 or so, which isn't all that sour but will be more noticeable. You can get PH test strips for cheap from most homebrew suppliers, or a PH testing device for about $50: http://www.amazon.com/Meter®-Resolution-Accuracy-Handheld-Measurement/dp/B00ST3VTQ4/ref=lp_393271011_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1437688836&sr=1-3.

To pasteurize, you need to know the PH of your hot sauce. If it's above 4, you need special equipment and it's a real pain. If it's below 4, you can put the sauce in a vessel that you can safely boil (like a canning jar), seal it, then submerge it under boiling water for 40-90 minutes (longer=safer) at sea level. Add ten minutes if you're at high altitude.

Amazing fancy lunch with my love today.
Starter of pork belly with tamarind glaze, quail egg and tartare of shrimp.
Main of guinea fowl, jus gras, chick pea curd.
Tastes and textures of apricot and pistachio for dessert.

Picnic type dinner as a result.

Very happy deedles.

Kind of a cool supper last night.  Made stir fry with round steak from a steer my brothers neighbor raised.  The vegetables were peppers, onions, broccoli, and pea pods all from our garden.  Beef broth came from the roast we made from the same steer last week.

Put in the cutting order on our half a hog that my dad raised.  Really need another freezer...

Yesterday we had leftover meat from the joint of beef from the Sunday's Dinner, so I diced it up with some carrots and onions, cooked them together along with peas and gravy, then made some shortcrust pastry and threw together a pie. Turned out better than my pies usually do, as I rolled the pastry to the right thickness that it was crisp without falling apart once you cut it. Parents had that with roast potatoes and I used the last bits of leftovers (I have no idea why my parents bought such a large joint of beef - usually there is only the two of them, and this has fed us over two days, and we had guests on the Sunday too) to go with jacket potato and salad. All turned out very nice. I love cooking with leftovers

Gas means the sauce is still fermenting. Either you didn't let it ferment long enough (assuming you're making a fermented sauce) or you weren't sanitary enough when you cooked & bottled it (assuming you're making a nonfermented sauce) or both.

Either way you can stop fermentation by a) pasteurization (most reliable) or B) altering the PH of the sauce (easiest).

To alter the PH, just add a bunch of distilled vinegar until you get the PH to below 5. This will stop any random bacterial fermentation. If you're still getting gas after that, it means you have a yeast infection (heh) or a really tricky souring bacteria, like lactobacillus. You should be able to solve that by getting the PH down below 3 or so, which isn't all that sour but will be more noticeable. You can get PH test strips for cheap from most homebrew suppliers, or a PH testing device for about $50: http://www.amazon.com/Meter®-Resolution-Accuracy-Handheld-Measurement/dp/B00ST3VTQ4/ref=lp_393271011_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1437688836&sr=1-3.

To pasteurize, you need to know the PH of your hot sauce. If it's above 4, you need special equipment and it's a real pain. If it's below 4, you can put the sauce in a vessel that you can safely boil (like a canning jar), seal it, then submerge it under boiling water for 40-90 minutes (longer=safer) at sea level. Add ten minutes if you're at high altitude.

cheers, i went with the with the easy option, i'll wait and see whether exploding hot sauce is a thing of the past.  which would be good because this batch has both ghost and moruga scorpion chillies and takes the enamel off my teeth, i don't want it exploding in my eyes. 

Bit of a disappointment tonight. I made duck burgers again. Tasty but the bottom caught a little and the honey on the bottom burnt. I did sweet corn fritters but fried them in too small a pan so kept breaking them as I flipped. A mango and avocado salsa was over ripe so textures were off. All tasted good but overall, a failure.

Archived