What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

Just going to keep watching that video of the scallops, you guys.

In other news, I made a broccoli and Stilton soup last night. Pretty sure that is the last time I'll ever use broccoli in a soup. It just didn't seem to add any flavour to it.

Don't blame the broccoli.

Stilton is crazy strong. The poor broccoli never stood a chance against the power of one of my favorite cheeses.

Chicken salad is a bit unimaginative, but it is mayo-free for portability, heat and sheer bulk. I wound up with about 3 quarts of chicken salad. It was gigantical. Apple, shredded carrot and a light sesame dressing.

Trying my hand at cracklings tonight to top salads for the week. Just to render the fat to schmaltz.

I have 3 quarts of light clear stock and a quart of gelatin stock out of the leg quarters.

Someone remind me I'm not cooking for a teenaged horde anymore.

So search is down and I can't find the cooking thread so I will humbly post my question here.

Does anyone have some simple curry/Indian recipes for a dummy? I have made a couple things with curry (chicken legs) and my wife really seemed to like the flavor but I have no knowledge or experience here. I know there are tons of different types of curry but if someone had simple suggestions or directions that would be great. I have lots of pork/chicken to use.

We like to try some different things and being from a rural area eating out at an Indian restaurant is not an option.

My basic go to curry-ish dish.

One onion, chopped medium.

Five or six garlic cloves, minced.

A thumb of ginger, minced.

Spices, typically cumin (ground or seeds), coriander (ground or seeds), turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon stick, cloves, later garam masala

Protein,

Tomatoes, tinned usually, fresh in high summer.

Coconut milk, about 200mls or natural yogurt.

Fresh coriander

Fry protein and brown it,

Add onion and turn translucent

Add ginger, garlic and whatever spices and get aromatic.

Add tomatoes and break down a bit.

Add coconut or yogurt.

Simmer for about 20 minutes.

Add a bit of garam masala and coriander and serve with rice.

I play around with the above . Spice mix changes a bit each time. Have been known to add fennel seeds, cardamom pods, leave out the cinnamon or cloves.

Adding dried coconut flesh with the spices can be nice.

Adding fresh chilli peppers is also great.

I've had chicken, fish and lamb this way and it seems to work. I'm not sure how authentic it could even try and claim to be but it is tasty.

Robuchon is a deity to me.

I think my 40th birthday will be held in one of his restaurants.

it's my 40th next year, i'm torn about where to eat, i've already eaten at all the best indian restaurants in london which is my go to cuisine, and i'm loathe to go somewhere i've already been. decision also must take into account i'm getting married next year so spending £400 on a meal for 2 seems ridiculously extravagant.

it's my 40th next year, i'm torn about where to eat, i've already eaten at all the best indian restaurants in london which is my go to cuisine, and i'm loathe to go somewhere i've already been. decision also must take into account i'm getting married next year so spending £400 on a meal for 2 seems ridiculously extravagant.

When is yours next year? Perhaps we can double-date.

When is yours next year? Perhaps we can double-date.

mid may, i'm leaning towards the ledbury which came 20th in the top 50 restaurants in the world this year, though that list sounds like a load of horseshit to me.

mid may, i'm leaning towards the ledbury which came 20th in the top 50 restaurants in the world this year, though that list sounds like a load of horseshit to me.

While I believe the Ledbury is lovely, I concur the list sounds like manure. I ate in Gaggan in Bangkok last year. Really nice, enjoyed it thoroughly but it's not in my top three, let alone top ten in the world.

While I believe the Ledbury is lovely, I concur the list sounds like manure. I ate in Gaggan in Bangkok last year. Really nice, enjoyed it thoroughly but it's not in my top three, let alone top ten in the world.

yeah, i ate at dinner a couple of years ago, thoroughly underwhelming. that list seems more about hype than anything else.

Does anyone cook southeast asian cuisine: Thai or Vietnamese? If so, message me any recipes, links or tips you might have. Thanks in advance.

"Hi, PM me a cookbook."

Perhaps you might have specific recipes you're interested in, or categories of dishes, and they could be posted in the thread for others to enjoy as well? Or perhaps for deeper study you might consider purchasing a well-regarded cookbook for a cuisine you're interested in exploring? "Send me private messages with all your recipes" is kind of a weird ask.

I made a big stock pot of soup last weekend using a slow-roasted pork shoulder and about ten pounds of vegetables. I can eat two bowls a night for the next week and it still won't be finished. Ah, bachelor chow.

Last night, keralan fish curry with hake. Tasty, but I used too little tamarind.

Tonight, lamb rack, new potatoes and cauliflower. I'll make some sort of a sauce, probably juices, white wine and stock.

Made some homemade chicken asian romaine wraps the other night and they turned out excellent. Cut up two chicken breasts, browned them, and then cooked down a soy sauce/agave/garlic/sesame oil/sesame seed/sriracha sauce until it was about the texture of the agave syrup. Just had the chicken over chow mein noodles, wrapped in romaine lettuce. Wow was it good. Next time I'll add some onions and green/red peppers to the mix.

Question for you knowledgable folks.

Tonight I made duck burgers (duck, spring onion, plum, soy sauce, honey, breadcrumbs). Absolutely delicious, big fan and will make them again. I'm not happy with what I served them with though, bearnaise sauce, lightly fried new potatoes, side salad.

The bearnaise just didn't complement the burgers. So, what would you serve then with?

Question for you knowledgable folks.

Tonight I made duck burgers (duck, spring onion, plum, soy sauce, honey, breadcrumbs). Absolutely delicious, big fan and will make them again. I'm not happy with what I served them with though, bearnaise sauce, lightly fried new potatoes, side salad.

The bearnaise just didn't complement the burgers. So, what would you serve then with?

Apples gently poached in butter? Duck + apple is a classic combination. So is red cabbage.

Last night I made some quite kickass burritos; mojo marinated chicken thighs with sautéed (in chicken fat, of course) red onions, bell peppers, garlic, lime zest and ginger. Yellow rice, black beans, topped with diced red onion, pico de gallo, sliced avocado, crème fraîche, Monterey Jack and sriracha.

Archived